What did you do today?

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
Building a really nice keyboard from scratch is on my to do list someday.
Same. Prob doesn't help I'd like mine to be 105-key and wireless. I'm one of those troglodytes who likes their rubber dome KB-9805, and aside from this madlad as far as I can tell custom Topre's are pretty much nonexistent. My feeling is it'd be one of those projects that's about as close to impossible as it gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTSG

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Same. Prob doesn't help I'd like mine to be 105-key and wireless. I'm one of those troglodtyes who likes their rubber dome KB-9805, and aside from this madlad as far as I can tell custom Topre's are pretty much nonexistent. My feeling is it'd be one of those projects that's about as close to impossible as it gets.
Only gets tricky because of the 105 key layout. HHKB has a BT Topre switch keyboard...but only in 60-key ANSI

EPOMaker has a 96% layout wireless Topre-ish (lookalike) switch boards too:

Reactions: lozza_c

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Same. Prob doesn't help I'd like mine to be 105-key and wireless. I'm one of those troglodytes who likes their rubber dome KB-9805, and aside from this madlad as far as I can tell custom Topre's are pretty much nonexistent. My feeling is it'd be one of those projects that's about as close to impossible as it gets.

I really like the Topre switches. I have one in a switch tester from Cooler Master, which they call the NovaTouch.

The only keyboards I've seen with Topre switches are the Leopold and RealForce, but I don't think I'll be getting one of those anytime soon. I'm also not sure you could transfer the switches to anything else.

Reactions: thelaughingman

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
Only gets tricky because of the 105 key layout. HHKB has a BT Topre switch keyboard...but only in 60-key ANSI

EPOMaker has a 96% layout wireless Topre-ish (lookalike) switch boards too:
True, even the Realforce full-sizes are 104-key. That big return key must be an anachronism these days :) For everything else 60% looks to rule the roost.

I haven't seen it confirmed in any official English language sources yet, it looks like a wireless R3 may be on the way? Alkaline batteries though :\

I really like the Topre switches. I have one in a switch tester from Cooler Master, which they call the NovaTouch.

The only keyboards I've seen with Topre switches are the Leopold and RealForce, but I don't think I'll be getting one of those anytime soon. I'm also not sure you could transfer the switches to anything else.
We have expensive tastes! It looks to be so difficult as to make it completely impractical. Ryan Norbauer's stuff looks amazing, but the pricetag is eye-watering. I'm a firm beleiver you get what you pay for, though.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
True, even the Realforce full-sizes are 104-key. That big return key must be an anachronism these days :) For everything else 60% looks to rule the roost.

I haven't seen it confirmed in any official English language sources yet, it looks like a wireless R3 may be on the way? Alkaline batteries though :\

We have expensive tastes! It looks to be so difficult as to make it completely impractical. Ryan Norbauer's stuff looks amazing, but the pricetag is eye-watering. I'm a firm beleiver you get what you pay for, though.
And I've got 5 Norbauer cases with up to 2 incomings 🥲

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: lozza_c and AlexTSG

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

Topre is another world entirely compare to MX mechanical keyboards. Not transferable at all.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
You guys who like Topre but need it to be wireless, have you guys checked Niz keyboard products?

They build wireless keyboard using electro-capacitive switch as well, with various layouts.

Reactions: lozza_c

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
You guys who like Topre but need it to be wireless, have you guys checked Niz keyboard products?

They build wireless keyboard using electro-capacitive switch as well, with various layouts.
You can buy custom Yang BLE controllers (HHKB, 660c and 980c) to have bluetooth and compleye keymap.

Call me a snob but I have never used a Niz EC board

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Today I had the 4th dose of COVID-19 vaccine (ie the 2nd booster).
For the previous 3 shots, I had absolutely no side effect.
But this time, I felt a small pain in the injection spot. But it is just a tiny bit and so no big deal.

As before, I am taking the day off.

I recommend anyone to follow your local medical authority's advise to receive the necessary vaccine shots.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
You can see if there's anything that interests you here on Printables

3D models database | Printables.com

It's run by Prusa, but they setup the site for everyone to use regardless of the brand of 3D printer they have.

There are even some SFF cases, and mods available if you search for "SFF"
I've been hitting Thingiverse for some replicas for some of my fav sci-fi of the last couple decades.

And...of course...fighting printing issues...had a print I tried to do 4x times and failed, thought I had a bed-level issue (on one half of the bed) causing it to go spaghetti about 1cm above the print plate. Trying it again, but this time 50% smaller but with higher temperature (doing ABS, was at 230C now doing 240C). So far 4cm up and printing fine, other than a bit more stringiness *fingers crossed*. Focusing on ABS as I have notions of printing a submarine-hull for R/C use, which would need to be ABS.

The scaling thing is a shot in the dark--as my 3D Benchy boat and calibration cube printed almost perfect, even with the print nozzle at 230C.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I like that giant thermal container.. it sort of looks like a humongous pizza box. Does it have a front that zips or velcros ?? That would be a little more professional than my "wrap the printer in a garbage bag" method for ABS.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I like that giant thermal container.. it sort of looks like a humongous pizza box. Does it have a front that zips or velcros ?? That would be a little more professional than my "wrap the printer in a garbage bag" method for ABS.

This was a commercial solution, which not only normalizes heat inside but is fire-resistant. Uses zippers for the lid, and velcro for the side and top:

Catch being...Ugh, my print failed again lastnight probably right at local midnight, after going along fine before it. Woke up and the display reats "Unexpectedly Stopped' error, about halfway in. This is the second time a print overnight has failed like this (overnight, close to midnight) with this error. Not sure if my power has scheduled dips overnight, or what. Really don't want another UPS in the house--but I'm considering it.

Leaving it to print while I'm at work today....with the lid and side-flap cracked for more ventilation, maybe the PSU's air was to stagnant and an overheat protection kicked in.

Last edited:
Reactions: msystems and BaK

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Catch being...Ugh, my print failed again lastnight probably right at local midnight, after going along fine before it. Woke up and the display reats "Unexpectedly Stopped' error, about halfway in. This is the second time a print overnight has failed like this (overnight, close to midnight) with this error. Not sure if my power has scheduled dips overnight, or what. Really don't want another UPS in the house--but I'm considering it.

How do the layers look up to the point of failure? Does the printer have "failure detection" that may have stopped it if it thinks the print failed, or will it just keep printing no matter what?

If it doesn't have failure detection, i would agree that it seems to indicate that your enclosure works a little too well and it triggered some kind of temperature protection circuit on the power supply or motors

Reactions: Skripka

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
If you're into electronics and soldering, it may be an idea to rewire that PSU a bit so you can leave it outside of the enclosure. Steppers should work fine at high temperatures, they run hot anyways.

Reactions: Skripka

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
How do the layers look up to the point of failure? Does the printer have "failure detection" that may have stopped it if it thinks the print failed, or will it just keep printing no matter what?

If it doesn't have failure detection, i would agree that it seems to indicate that your enclosure works a little too well and it triggered some kind of temperature protection circuit on the power supply or motors
Layers up to the stoppage are fine. It just hits a stop and auto cools off after 2-6 hours. Resuming doesn't really work like it should--because when the print head tries to resume the ABS is no longer bonded to the build plate properly and it breaks free (plate is touted as being good for ABS). The GUI menu for the printer doesn't appear to have much of any feature settings to adjust on the printer itself--just XYZ and movement settings.

UPDATE: last nights attempt failed too...this time at half the z-height of the previous attempt.

It is odd as my Benchy test printed fine, and the one print stopped at less z-height than the Benchy's top. Presently trying another 3D test file that should be known to be good--maybe the file is just bad, although I'd guess that if that were the case the print would stop at the same point each time?

If you're into electronics and soldering, it may be an idea to rewire that PSU a bit so you can leave it outside of the enclosure. Steppers should work fine at high temperatures, they run hot anyways.

I'll probably try losing the tent next. Really don't want to as I have forced air and it is approaching summer.....but...

Mashndrow

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2022
Thought a lot of things in my head about what to do. They were pretty good but nothing happened yet and probably won't.