What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Ah, yeah. I gotcha. I'm sure it's just to get me off to school but it's still annoying :p
I read you on that.

Yesterday, the contract at my primary job ended. I have quite a bit saved up for now although I was hoping to use that towards moving into another place. My mother was pushy on the subject of reapplying to the same place again which I did not like. She apologized later however.

Today, I am going over by father's (sucks not having a car or motorcycle either), working on some things for my secondary job, and seeing my sister again after her two week trip to Japan as part of an exchange program.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I dropped LastPass for KeePass as a password manager. After their aquisition by LogMeIn, there have been changes which basically means less features for more money. Even though I'm not directly affected (yet), I'm firmly against this kind of practice. The browser plugins have also been a little problematic for a while.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I dropped LastPass for KeePass as a password manager. After their aquisition by LogMeIn, there have been changes which basically means less features for more money. Even though I'm not directly affected (yet), I'm firmly against this kind of practice. The browser plugins have also been a little problematic for a while.
Excellent choice on KeePass. I use it for every password whether personal or business. Getting the browser plugins working well depends on the plugins and the information that you enter for each entry in the KeePass database.

Reactions: Phuncz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Hit Day 2 of the Indiana State Fair with the fam today. Parking was an absolute nightmare. Streets around the fairgrounds were crawling when we got there and looked the same as we were leaving. Might have something to do with the (extra cost admission) high school marching bands, but the weather was also relatively cool for this time of year.

Had the peanut butter and pineapple pork burger for lunch (a featured fair food this year - couldn't taste the pineapple ring), but missed the deep-fried bacon vendor. Did pick up some kettle corn to bring home, though.

Leaving was a bit of a nail-biter as there was no way out of our parking spot - a minivan at the end of the row was blocking enough of the exit that we couldn't get out. Fortunately, enough people were around us that we could ask one to pull into another spot to allow us to drive through to the next aisle.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Today i did one last boot of what will be my next router box to make sure all the hardware worked then tore it down until the last of the mounting hardware arrives. This has been a build of necessity but now its finally close to being assembled im starting to get hyped to have it done.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That looks like an interesting project.

Am I spotting these correctly ?
- SAS 6Gbps card
- DSL + SFP card (for fiber ?)
- dual DSL (?) card
- quad gigabit card

Reactions: Biowarejak

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Am I spotting these correctly ?
- SAS 6Gbps card
- DSL + SFP card (for fiber ?)
- dual DSL (?) card
- quad gigabit card

-This card lies, it is a SAS bracket but the card is actually an Exar DX 1845. I didnt get a compact PCI bracket for it when i purchased it so grabbed that SAS bracket for about $3. Im hoping to compare its performance against AES-NI in a few areas.
-It is indeed a Draytek VigorNIC 132F. They have firmware out for most country's, does ADSL, VDSL & some fibre & iirc uses the Danube chipset. It should future proof me for a while, the "National Broadband Network" being built out here is a VDSL network
- a Multitech ZPX 56k dialup modem. Planning to use it as a failover when DSL is down and so I can show the kid what the internet used to be like.
- AN Intel/IBM quad port Gbit NIC. I dont have a link for this one but I got it cheap so its going in place of the Realtek LAN the motherboard has built in.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
I cleaned up some dust bunnies. Below is an old friend, the first PC I custom built. Now the "Office PC,"
she has been running faithfully for years, but has been sorely neglected.

Here are the mildly satisfying before and afters.

Take care of your old PCs guys! Especially, if they've treated you well.

One interesting thing about this PC is the GTX 670 with an Antec Kuhler AIO CPU cooler mounted to it. This was 2012, before they started selling water cooled cards ... back then a forum user called DWood would custom cut you a mount. He also did all the other ROG fan guard grills, etc. This twin-AIO build was very niche for it's time.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I announced my intention to resign from my current job. Now looking to find a new one before October 1. My Work Visa expires then so I need to find a new job soon, or I'll have some mess with that.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Hit Day 2 of the Indiana State Fair with the fam today. Parking was an absolute nightmare. Streets around the fairgrounds were crawling when we got there and looked the same as we were leaving. Might have something to do with the (extra cost admission) high school marching bands, but the weather was also relatively cool for this time of year.

Had the peanut butter and pineapple pork burger for lunch (a featured fair food this year - couldn't taste the pineapple ring), but missed the deep-fried bacon vendor. Did pick up some kettle corn to bring home, though.

Leaving was a bit of a nail-biter as there was no way out of our parking spot - a minivan at the end of the row was blocking enough of the exit that we couldn't get out. Fortunately, enough people were around us that we could ask one to pull into another spot to allow us to drive through to the next aisle.
Had the latter happen at a BBQ that I went to yesterday. Thankfully the van had moved by the time that we left.

I cleaned up some dust bunnies. Below is an old friend, the first PC I custom built. Now the "Office PC,"
she has been running faithfully for years, but has been sorely neglected.

Here are the mildly satisfying before and afters.

Take care of your old PCs guys! Especially, if they've treated you well.

One interesting thing about this PC is the GTX 670 with an Antec Kuhler AIO CPU cooler mounted to it. This was 2012, before they started selling water cooled cards ... back then a forum user called DWood would custom cut you a mount. He also did all the other ROG fan guard grills, etc. This twin-AIO build was very niche for it's time.
This x 1000.

I announced my intention to resign from my current job. Now looking to find a new one before October 1. My Work Visa expires then so I need to find a new job soon, or I'll have some mess with that.
Congrats on moving on. I do hope that you find further employment in the near future. You have enough saved to float on for now?

Reactions: Biowarejak

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Congrats on moving on. I do hope that you find further employment in the near future. You have enough saved to float on for now?

Wish I could say yes. I didn't plan that far ahead, but I can get by for awhile. If I'd stayed until the end of the year I would have gotten a couple months bonus, plus I am moving out of my rented place in October so that'd save me a lot of money. I'm considering looking at jobs in California, Gigabyte and Asus are both hiring for Project Managers. That is the main reason for leaving my current job, I'd rather work in hardware than video games.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Actually I was looking at them. They don't post their jobs online so I might just e-mail their recruitment. My girlfriend wasn't so impressed with Taiwan though :( I thought Taiwan was fairly nice, not as new and modern as the mainland but the way the people behave is much better and they maintain/clean their stuff too.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Wish I could say yes. I didn't plan that far ahead, but I can get by for awhile. If I'd stayed until the end of the year I would have gotten a couple months bonus, plus I am moving out of my rented place in October so that'd save me a lot of money. I'm considering looking at jobs in California, Gigabyte and Asus are both hiring for Project Managers. That is the main reason for leaving my current job, I'd rather work in hardware than video games.
Wishing you all the best!

Had two molars removed (one of them a wisdom). Ouch.
Ouch indeed. Liquid and soft foods for the time being?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Here in the land of harden the F**k up, we get paracetamol and ibuprofen -_- In all seriousness, the procedure was done as an emergency one with government funding so I didn't quite get the full experience if that makes sense.

Soft foods and liquid foods for a while :|

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah that's where the aching starts (and if anything touches the wound aaaaaaaaaaa). They only gave paracetamol tablets ,_,
I had a rice bit stuck-- wait, I should stop grossing this thread out ,_,