What did you do today?

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Is molex to sata adapter safe? I've been using one before without issue, but read on reddit & other forums that they short & burn sometimes..

Some anecdotal experience. We were using these (Molex -> SATA) adapters on about 45 computers at a place I used to work when we were shifting some hardware around and decided not to replace 45 PSUs for an extra SATA power. At best, they stopped delivering reliable power - at worst, one shorted out, and caught on fire inside the PC. SATA side was melted and the drive it was powering was inaccessible.

The office freaked out and the fire department came to do some audit type thing. Long story short, me and another poor guy from the IT department had to remove these adapters from all PCs with them (which meant opening them all up to see which had them) and spray out the dust that was in all the PCs (fire department orders). There was 150 or so of them. Took a long time.

Like a typical IT department, we warned them about dust build-up and leaving the PCs on the floor a year earlier, but management didn't really care. Now they did.

Sort of trailed off there. Sorry. I guess this is thread-relevant in a "what did I do some random day 3 years ago" sort of way.

As for the adapters, I wouldn't bother with them as a result, unless they are of reliable quality. Still, I feel uncomfortable adding anything inline to power cables.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Right, so where have I been?

Well, as the staff here know (any my Instagram followers), I've had no power for the past three days, 2200 hours on Tuesday to 2200 hours on Friday, due to one of the biggest storms NZ has ever seen. Areas saw sustained 100kph/60mph winds for over 4 hours, one area recorded 215kph winds - about 134 mph. 250,000 people lost power, some still don't have any due to complications in repairs/location.

I've been managing to charge my phone at work, but the ever present threat of limited mobile data has kept me mostly offline.

We had to throw out >$200 worth of chilled and frozen food, and have been buying food as needed, so it's been a very expensive week :/

I'm back now, but bear in mind it may take some time for me to catch up on things - I'm 3 days behind on content production :/

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Right, so where have I been?

Well, as the staff here know (any my Instagram followers), I've had no power for the past three days, 2200 hours on Tuesday to 2200 hours on Friday, due to one of the biggest storms NZ has ever seen. Areas saw sustained 100kph/60mph winds for over 4 hours, one area recorded 215kph winds - about 134 mph. 250,000 people lost power, some still don't have any due to complications in repairs/location.

I've been managing to charge my phone at work, but the ever present threat of limited mobile data has kept me mostly offline.

We had to throw out >$200 worth of chilled and frozen food, and have been buying food as needed, so it's been a very expensive week :/

I'm back now, but bear in mind it may take some time for me to catch up on things - I'm 3 days behind on content production :/
Omg confusis, hopping for better weeks ahead for you and your family.
nature can be really harsh sometimes :/

---
today I got to grind a steel bar and made some holes and threaded them, on this semester metal class
its all basic stuff but its very rewarding and a its nice to change from a very mental computer work to something a a lot easier on the head

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
TIL Paint Chalking

Attempted to apply a 3M hook today. did a test load after a while from pasting it and leaving it (read: pulling down against wall) and it sheared. Got completely unsticky and had a bit of the wall paint on the adhesive

,_,

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
TIL Paint Chalking

Attempted to apply a 3M hook today. did a test load after a while from pasting it and leaving it (read: pulling down against wall) and it sheared. Got completely unsticky and had a bit of the wall paint on the adhesive

,_,
Well now you gotta put another one on there to cover up the unpainted spot! :p

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
it didn't peel off. it's more like it powdered off. the wall "looks cleaner" afterwards ,_,
for a long time I thought those whitey areas were the humidity causing some growth patch on the walls. turns out it's binder breakdown from sunlight

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
it didn't peel off. it's more like it powdered off. the wall "looks cleaner" afterwards ,_,
for a long time I thought those whitey areas were the humidity causing some growth patch on the walls. turns out it's binder breakdown from sunlight
Ah, I missunderstood. Thought the paint had chipped off, not chalked. Guess that makes sense though :)

Reactions: VegetableStu

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well, today I did great on my math homework! And terribly on my math test. I cannot express how deeply I loathe poorly formatted online examinations, as well as poorly worded questions with unclear input format expectations. The homework was delivered the same way, and the questions were of much better quality.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Well, today I did great on my math homework! And terribly on my math test. I cannot express how deeply I loathe poorly formatted online examinations, as well as poorly worded questions with unclear input format expectations. The homework was delivered the same way, and the questions were of much better quality.
That is unfortunately the case for generations. It is a meme before memes were memes. I empathize with you.

Today at work was a cluster. I am still trying to improve before I change jobs next week. I am also drawing on the drawing tablet (Huion H640P) that I got yesterday. I figured that I spend most of my time on a computer, why not draw as
I always wanted too. I put it off a lot with physical media as I never had the time or the space to work on it.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
ooh, interesting. which program are you drawing on? how does the pressure control feel like?
I am using Krita. The pressure control needs some adjustment as it is a "hi-resolution", 8192 pressure level model with a battery-less stylus. I am using the DIGImend drivers for it and it works flawlessly. The Huion New 1060PLUS that I owned went to a family member. I will need to update the DIGImend drivers on the computer that they use as a recent pull request that enabled all of the buttons on it. Huion has been financing development either directly or supplying hardware.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Closed out the week on a note. I did not tell many people about my position change. I figured that it was for the best. I should have talked to the director about the transition this week but I chickened out. Monday brings a new job and new beginnings, I just hope that is more than I could imagine.

Oh well. Time to eat and then draw.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Spend the last two days looking after my Mum's house while she and her partner went away on a well deserved break. Also, drove a lot (yay!). Her house is in the middle of a lot of farmland, so having silent nights with no light pollution and the like has been amazing for my sleep. First night here, I slept a solid 9 hours with no waking. Haven't done that in years!! (I track my sleep and activity with a first gen FitBit Alta)

Oh, and tested a second mechanical keyboard for review (this one is closer to my ideal keyboard than the other one. The first one's review will be published very, very soon! Wrote a few thousand words, took a few photos, and did a bit of admin stuff.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Spend the last two days looking after my Mum's house while she and her partner went away on a well deserved break. Also, drove a lot (yay!). Her house is in the middle of a lot of farmland, so having silent nights with no light pollution and the like has been amazing for my sleep. First night here, I slept a solid 9 hours with no waking. Haven't done that in years!! (I track my sleep and activity with a first gen FitBit Alta)

Oh, and tested a second mechanical keyboard for review (this one is closer to my ideal keyboard than the other one. The first one's review will be published very, very soon! Wrote a few thousand words, took a few photos, and did a bit of admin stuff.
That is awesome! Glad that you are getting better nights of sleep! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Last edited:

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Its been an exhausting few weeks but some exciting life changes. As some of you know I've made some career changes (a lot tbh) the last year or so. From an R&D position to control systems to cyber-security and now I'm settling down in a government contractor. I think I've finally found a place with good roots, quality work, and its pretty damn exciting the stuff I'll be working on. Unfortunately because of having to relocate again its going to take me a few months to get back to my projects. Fortunately I'm allowed to use the project facility on my own time if I want for my projects and only have to pay cost of operation/materials (These guys have a huge 5-axis CNC, high wattage CO2 lasers, massive metal printers, an unheard of amount of 3D printers, etc...). I can see those being a huge help in the future.

In other news, I received a message from a forum member who expressed a love-hate situation they are in with a new hobby because of my suggestions in some of their threads. Makes me feel a bit overwhelmed (in a good way) that someone took my advice and found a new passion/hobby that has evolved in so many ways.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Its been an exhausting few weeks but some exciting life changes. As some of you know I've made some career changes (a lot tbh) the last year or so. From an R&D position to control systems to cyber-security and now I'm settling down in a government contractor. I think I've finally found a place with good roots, quality work, and its pretty damn exciting the stuff I'll be working on. Unfortunately because of having to relocate again its going to take me a few months to get back to my projects. Fortunately I'm allowed to use the project facility on my own time if I want for my projects and only have to pay cost of operation/materials (These guys have a huge 5-axis CNC, high wattage CO2 lasers, massive metal printers, an unheard of amount of 3D printers, etc...). I can see those being a huge help in the future.

In other news, I received a message from a forum member who expressed a love-hate situation they are in with a new hobby because of my suggestions in some of their threads. Makes me feel a bit overwhelmed (in a good way) that someone took my advice and found a new passion/hobby that has evolved in so many ways.
Dang dude. Making things happen! Proud of ya!

Today was interesting to say the least. Witnessed an accident near my workplace and rushed in to help. Arrived to work in time. Cleared out my desk. Setup my machine. Met a bunch of new people. Shadowed a tech. Closed and resolved a couple tickets. Met up with my friend after work. Had a smoothie. Had dinner and now to get to bed. *whew*