What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Today was not a typical Monday. Perhaps the universe was giving me a break?

Anyway, at my call centre job, I met with the head of the IT team that supports company systems to discuss a possible opportunity. The position does not require a car (Yay!), and may come about as one person from the team who has a car may be poached for the team that handles on-site work. The team that handles on-site work needs people so I will refer a couple of my friends to that when the time comes. The work at the call centre was mild.

I have also started looking into doing my know port of OpenDinux to a device called the Retro Game. While the current custom firmware is excellent, it is a one-person project. There are multiple devices that utilize the same SoC that the Retro Game contains (Ingenic JZ4760B). Now to see just how capable my ThinkPad X201 is.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ordered another HDPlex riser and wrote an analytic summary in about 4 hours because I procrastinated right up till the due date. I've got to stop that, but the challenge is nice.

I've also been refining the workflow in FreeCad. Figuring out best practices is actually enjoyable, at least in that it avoids frustrations.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
wrote an analytic summary in about 4 hours because I procrastinated right up till the due date. I've got to stop that, but the challenge is nice.
That reminds me of this time in grad school when I had to write a term paper for my Operating Systems class. We picked our topics early in the semester (mine was over the state-of-the-art research for clock synchronization in distributed systems) and had the rest of the semester to write them, which made sense, given that they were supposed to be thesis-length (i.e. about 100 pages) and had to be well-sourced.

So, of course, I started at 2am on the day it was due. Yeah...not my best moment.

Anyway, I managed to knock out 99 pages sourced from dozens of research papers, and 14 hours later I turned it all in at 4pm with 2 hours still to spare before the deadline. Despite the procrastination, marathon writing session, and half-stupor I put myself into by the end of it, I still got an A on the paper and in the class.

On a completely unrelated note, I once discovered that it's possible to break out in hives all over your body when dealing with extreme stress. Completely unrelated.

As for my day today, I've spent something last the last three hours doing the math and coding so that we can programmatically draw a WiFi signal strength indicator because our app apparently doesn't have one and we only just realized today that we need one by tomorrow. Normally this would fall to the guy who works for me who's working on this stuff, but he's already behind as it is, so I figured I could take some stuff off his plate to help.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
In more flaky hardware news. The Fatality B350itx running my 2400G just lost all video output tonight.

Was running fine and only saw light use for almost a week. Reboots, swapping hdmi cords, ports , cmos clears, disconnected the os drive. No joy. Returning the board and cpu tomorrow. Sometimes this hobby is more fun than others. At least it wasn’t my main box so some consolation there.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
You allz know how to have the funz...

Completely unrelated :) , I had to tell my boss that I likely wouldn't be able to complete a technical report due that is required to bid a job next Monday. Fortunately, a long-time (and amazingly smart) consultant of ours was just about to call us up to ask if we wanted to team on it, and also expressed the same concerns to my boss that I had already mentioned independently to him. We jumped on the opportunity and now (hopefully) don't have to deliver really bad news to the big boss and will continue at our jobs. The validation was nice, too.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
(please let it not be a dead stick though ,_,)

Removed all sticks and powered on empty to test POST error. Added one back and it said there's zero RAM again.
swapped out with another and same thing happened. (crap do I have a bad slot on the motherboard or the CPU. can't be motherboard, the fingers and sockets look fine. crap do I have a dinked CPU.)

Then I remembered that odd BIOS reset I had to do when I inserted the m.2 SATA SSD. went to unseat that and it finally POSTed. Two sticks also POSTed.

Added SSD back. POSTed with SSD and both sticks appearing. Added all back. System decided it needed to respring itself (powers on, powers off itself immediately for a bit, powers back on). Finally all 32GB checked out along with the m.2 SSD

what is with my history with RAM problems ._. at least none of it were bad

on a side note: I should look into replacing the buzzer with an LED. parents were like "is everything OK?" and "that's irritating" in the same sentence

Last edited:

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
I came into the office this morning to discover a blue tarp had been stretched over the hall around the corner from my office to direct the water from dozens of leaks into a series of trash cans, and that my friend's office two doors down from mine had about a dozen trash cans to catch the water streaming out of the holes punched through all of his ceiling tiles.

We had a really bad hail storm come through last week (mostly golf ball-sized hail, though we saw a picture of a stone that was nearly the size of an open hand) that pretty well destroyed our office building's ability to keep out water. The repair guys are swamped by all of the requests in the region and can't get to us for another few weeks, so as storms like today's come through, things are becoming...interesting. We all put plastic drop cloths over our desks last night since we knew the storms would be coming through, so thankfully there's no major damage yet, at least to the computers and other sensitive equipment we have all over the place.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
eh? wouldn't that mean the box itself has no thickness and it's 100% filled with milk?

or did you mean there isn't 1L of milk being sold? ._.
wait a minute

this is what happens when i trust the internet
I got a box of milk and a caliper. its a retangular standard model. dimmensions are : 64x95x180mm so its.. yea its actualy 1.11 litters
my bad.

but I wished for a moment it was the external volume