What ATX Cases Tempt You?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I’m thinking of a retro sleeper. I have some old 90s Acers, NECs, and Compaqs. I might allow myself to skip from ITX to build one of those.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
running open-bench since last year (curse my HEDT tendencies), and waiting for the next ATX nearline-SFF carry-on is made difficult by looking at the amount of cables spilling over the bench.
really would crave the O11D mini, but would prefer to use that expenditure on w360's planned ATX CNC project since the CX2 have been on hold 😢 (also the O11 mini is too wide as a carry-on 😭 )
Salvo S700 may just be "thin" enough to be carry-on

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
The (Chieftec) Chieftronic M2 (but NOT the M1). One of the few more "logically" constructed cube cases - ie. the board is set in horizontal orientation, not the classic vertical one. Digging for the "optimum" cube case was actually "the thing" right before I started getting strongly interested in SFF.

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: confusis

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
honestly tempted by Meshify C Mini lol.

But NR200 seems like it will be the case for me for a long time

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I like the IBM Aptiva from the mid 90s, like this Aptiva 6128 :

A modder even modded floppy disks and drive into SD-card reader :

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
The Fractal Design Torrent is probably the only ATX that is attractive to me.
Also I find the Antec Dark Cube (M-ATX) interesting enough...

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com

I was just going like: Oh, that looks similar to the ThinkStation range - until I remembered: RIGHT, originally it was _IBM_ ThinkStation / ThinkPad XD

I'm more a fan of the ThinkPad black color, obviously. Once thought of a sleeper T60 (P51 or X1 Extreme in a T60 or T500 shell - great keyboard etc. AND up-to-date hardware).

cu, w0lf.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I'm having a thing for the Voodoo Omen of old again. Why oh why must PC makers cheapen their product with crappy chassis compared to elegant monoliths like this that compete with Apple for sheer eyecandy...I can almost imagine 3D printing an ITX chassis and slapping stainless steel metal on it to imitate it.

Reactions: Phuncz

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
A redesigned Silverstone FT02. Been requesting Silverstone to do it for ages. I have the orginal still after 12 years and still kicking with a Gigabyte X58 UD7 and 920 processor.
It baffles me that they haven't updated it, its such a nice case and wouldn't even need much to be modernized.
Imo, changes required are:

External:
  • Close off the front panel and replace logo with the new simplified one.
  • A nicer build in TG window instead of screwed on or full TG panel.
  • Updated to IO and extended top mesh.

Internal:
  • Remove the 5.25" bays and replace with another drive cage
  • Make both drive cages removable.
  • Add PSU Cover
And that's about it, wouldn't even call that a redesign, since most tooling could be reused(if it still exists), just an update.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I also was shortly tempted by the Jonsbo RM2, because it could, in theory, support everything I need, while still being reasonable sized and "weighted" (2.7 kg). But I decided against it and will be going with the Jonsbo V9 instead, so thats technically still SFF, but allows for mATX.

cu, w0lf.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I recently ordered a Metalfish S5 for my MATX Windows XP build, but seeing as its currently stuck in shipping, I did some looking around. Then I discovered the DENG F15Max and saw it in black with the gold screws. My god, never have I wanted a case so badly. Screw "gamer" aesthetic, give me proper industrial design!

Probably also going to spring for a Jonsbo V9. Might be a while waiting for the S5 to arrive.

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
I’m thinking of a retro sleeper. I have some old 90s Acers, NECs, and Compaqs. I might allow myself to skip from ITX to build one of those.
That'd be awesome - would love to see a sleeper 386!

While I can't top that, I've kept this old prebuilt from the late 90s around for the nostalgia. RIP Tiny Computers

Thinking of upcycling it, don't know into what yet though. NAS, possibly? 🤔

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
That'd be awesome - would love to see a sleeper 386!

While I can't top that, I've kept this old prebuilt from the late 90s around for the nostalgia. RIP Tiny Computers

Thinking of upcycling it, don't know into what yet though. NAS, possibly? 🤔

Oh...Can I have the P3 from it. ;)