Stalled Walrus mk01: a 3D-printed brickless 5.0~5.5L fully watercooled case

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Very space efficient. this Design looks similar to mine.

Yep, seen your designs, very nice!

I think your type of sandwich can be super optimal (because the mobo can be squished to the max), but my case is closer to the classic sandwich layout (except for the inverted GPU facing backplate outwards), therefore there is some access to the motherboard.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Small update:

Installed the Aliexpress waterblock, the results are not that impressive: it looks good and has RGB, but the idle temperatures got 4-5 degrees worse and I can't pass Prime95 without throttling anymore (so full sustained load temps are over 98 for some cores). So the block has to go and I have to come up with some alternatives (unless maybe there is some air still in the block and it will improve with time).

The GPU-230 from Koolance looks very similar. If there is something wrong with the Aliexpress Unit you could try this one, or I could send you mine.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Short teaser:

The build is dismantled, I'm working on a new project with the following specs:
  • ~4L
  • brickless with a modified 800W Supermicro PWS-804P-1R power supply
  • fully watercooled with built-in pump and fan controller
  • external radiator
  • GPU: 3080 FE
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

Thread TBD.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Nice to see this project is back. That's going to be one crazy-ass build including the power supply. But I did like the internal radiator more.

Reactions: morj and Vir

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Nice to see this project is back. That's going to be one crazy-ass build including the power supply. But I did like the internal radiator more.

I want to try and use this radiator as a "top hat" for this build for portable mode, but I also want to have more radiator volume for this components for more demanding workloads. Unfortunately this radiator is not enough for 300+ W on its own.

Maybe I can go with some internal rad + QDC.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
I know that you decided to create a new build but if you want to give a chance to this one you could try Alphacool Eisblock XPX 1U water block. It should has better temps than this one from ali :)

Actually, quite embarrassingly, I discovered that I didn't install the Aliexpress block properly when disassembling the build. Because of the pressure from the tubing the block wasn't making proper contact with the CPU. I should have changed the tubing, but to do so I needed to reprint the entire case (because the radiator needed to be moved a little bit upwards to allow a straight tube to clear the RAM).

• Haha
Reactions: BCGA.tech and sos

Vaderator

Average Stuffer
Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2017
Actually, quite embarrassingly, I discovered that I didn't install the Aliexpress block properly when disassembling the build. Because of the pressure from the tubing the block wasn't making proper contact with the CPU. I should have changed the tubing, but to do so I needed to reprint the entire case (because the radiator needed to be moved a little bit upwards to allow a straight tube to clear the RAM).
Hey Morj - how thick is that Ali-express block? I was checking it out as an alternative to the alphacool xpx 1u (25mm thick). From the looks of it and connector sizes, I don't know if I buy the manufacturer's website's claim that it is only 20mm thick.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Hey Morj - how thick is that Ali-express block? I was checking it out as an alternative to the alphacool xpx 1u (25mm thick). From the looks of it and connector sizes, I don't know if I buy the manufacturer's website's claim that it is only 20mm thick.

Definitely not 20mm, more like 32: