Stalled Walrus mk01: a 3D-printed brickless 5.0~5.5L fully watercooled case

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Update!

Full prototype assembly done, see updated first post.

Changes to panels to be done later.

Bonus picture (with a 0.33 bottle for scale):

Another bonus picture (with Phanteks Evolv Shift for scale):

Last edited:

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
I think that zotac 2070 super is too long for this case. Isnt it?

There's a "mini" version...

UPD: looks like it's still 3cm longer even with the water block... Then I'm not sure, maybe if the length of the case shall be increased by 2 cm, then with using a thinner radiator it might work. I will think about such layout too.

Last edited:
Reactions: reallamer

urbantech

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 14, 2019
There's a "mini" version...

UPD: looks like it's still 3cm longer even with the water block... Then I'm not sure, maybe if the length of the case shall be increased by 2 cm, then with using a thinner radiator it might work. I will think about such layout too.
How about mounting the graphic card vertically like velka 7 , you can use longer card

Reactions: reallamer and morj

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
I have nothing to contribute here, but I still have to share how much I want this case. Good job!

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
I have nothing to contribute here, but I still have to share how much I want this case. Good job!

Glad to see it's getting some traction! Although, as I mentioned before, there are probably many changes to be done to make it at least somewhat versatile. Currently the configuration is tailored to a very specific combination of hardware.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Small update: I've ordered this CPU block from Aliexpress: https://www.alseyecorp.com/product-item/c5-water-block/

It's 2cm thick, has side ports with the exact IN/OUT positions I need for my loop order.

Also got an Aqua Computer inline temperature probe, so next up is thermal testing... Also contemplating to do a slightly modified version of the case itself (move the radiator up a notch) to use hard tubing (or just for more straightforward tube management).

Reactions: Vir and BCGA.tech

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Update!

I've jerry-rigged my Quadro with a temp probe, the results are in:

1. GPU-only stress test (1 hour of FurMark, GPU not undervolted): water 38.1° max, GPU 55° max.

2. Combined stress test (45 minutes of prime95 + FurMark, GPU undervolted to 0.825V): water 41° max, CPU 80° max, GPU 57° max).

3. Gaming (Apex Legends): GPU 41° max, CPU 58° max, water 32.8° max.

In the combined configuration CPU + GPU are pulling 105W and 160W for a total of 265W estimated "thermal" power.

Also the system is super responsive to load changes: in a couple of minutes after the (2) stress test the water temp drops to 32° (and dropping further).

Idle CPU/GPU temperatures are 32-ish (a bit above the water temp which is below 30°).

Ambient room temp around 23° I guess, all temps in Celsius.

Last edited:

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
The GPU-230 from Koolance looks very similar. If there is something wrong with the Aliexpress Unit you could try this one, or I could send you mine.

Wow, looks very interesting (and thanks for the offer)! Can the GPU-230 be used as a CPU block for LGA1151?

Reactions: GermanDrifter97

GermanDrifter97

Trash Compacter
May 25, 2018
Wow, looks very interesting (and thanks for the offer)! Can the GPU-230 be used as a CPU block for LGA1151?

The mounting holes on the block are for standard GPUs. The way I wanted to attach mine to my AM4 board was to use an aluminium 'adapter'-plate that has mounting holes für the Block and holes for your socket (1151, 2133, AM3, AM4, ...). If you know of a shop near you that makes custom laser cut plates, that would be an option.

I've made some 'concept' art for these plates just to visualize how they could be laid out. If you are interested I could share them with you, but they are very rough sketches. (I hope I can find them though....)

Edit: you can also do something similar to the mounting of the GPU-180 and 'clamp' the block on top of your cpu. Might be cheaper, but uglier and also more space consuming.

Last edited: