Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

belkinflin

Efficiency Noob
Dec 17, 2020
Hi all,

Is this kit from amazon: which is hynix jjr a good/adequate vlp ram choice for ryzen 5000 since not RDIMM but ECC is okay? I see that some people were able to get 3600mhz c16 timings on it.

Freshfrenchfries

Chassis Packer
Aug 13, 2019
My goal has been to cool a Ryzen 5600x with a Black Ridge v2 and 120mm Noctua NF-A12x15. This setup seems to provide best-in-class temps/noise for sub-50mm CPU air coolers, but necessitates VLP memory. Suggestions in this thread have really helped me find a kit that can achieve CL16 3600MHz for my gaming rig.

I just received a kit of Micron 2x16GB 3200MHz (MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1) from this store via Superbuy thanks to @charlybegood. I've been able to achieve a stable overclock of 3600MHz 16-18-18-38 at 1.4V using this popular guide.

I also tested the v-color 2x16GB 2666MHz kit and a slower Micron 2x16GB 2666MHz kit off eBay (MTA18ADF2G72AZ-2G6E1) before I went ahead and ordered from China. I could only get the v-color kit stable at 3600MHz with 18-19-19-39 (GDM disabled) timings at 1.45V, or so I thought because it threw a WHEA error after a few hours of OCCT 7.1 AVX testing. The kit POSTs at 1.5V, but I did not try tuning at this voltage. As for the slower Micron kit, I couldn't get it stable above 3000MHz and eventually just settled to use it at its JEDEC speed/timings.

I am by no means a ram overclocking enthusiast and I'm not sure if going to VLP route is worth it unless you can put up with tuning memory and winning the silicon lottery. I don't think a build's viability should hinge on whether or not your particular ram kit can hit numbers beyond its JEDEC/XMP profile.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/glBEk7m" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/glBEk7m">Micron VLP Overclocked to 3600MHz</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

gergl

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
My goal has been to cool a Ryzen 5600x with a Black Ridge v2 and 120mm Noctua NF-A12x15. This setup seems to provide best-in-class temps/noise for sub-50mm CPU air coolers, but necessitates VLP memory. Suggestions in this thread have really helped me find a kit that can achieve CL16 3600MHz for my gaming rig.

I just received a kit of Micron 2x16GB 3200MHz (MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1) from this store via Superbuy thanks to @charlybegood. I've been able to achieve a stable overclock of 3600MHz 16-18-18-38 at 1.4V using this popular guide.

I also tested the v-color 2x16GB 2666MHz kit and a slower Micron 2x16GB 2666MHz kit off eBay (MTA18ADF2G72AZ-2G6E1) before I went ahead and ordered from China. I could only get the v-color kit stable at 3600MHz with 18-19-19-39 (GDM disabled) timings at 1.45V, or so I thought because it threw a WHEA error after a few hours of OCCT 7.1 AVX testing. The kit POSTs at 1.5V, but I did not try tuning at this voltage. As for the slower Micron kit, I couldn't get it stable above 3000MHz and eventually just settled to use it at its JEDEC speed/timings.

I am by no means a ram overclocking enthusiast and I'm not sure if going to VLP route is worth it unless you can put up with tuning memory and winning the silicon lottery. I don't think a build's viability should hinge on whether or not your particular ram kit can hit numbers beyond its JEDEC/XMP profile.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/glBEk7m" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/glBEk7m">Micron VLP Overclocked to 3600MHz</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Glad to see your results, I'm going for a very similar build. Same CPU, cooler, fan, and the Micron 3G2E1 sticks, on a B550i Aorus. I just got the system up and running and tried to do some quick tuning. One stick appears to be dead, so I'm only trying with one at the moment. I can get it to 3800 at 1.4v, haven't tried higher. But at 3800 the Infinity Fabric desynchronizes down to a lower frequency, I haven't tried tweaking anything else to get it to sync. But even with Infinity Fabric and RAM both at 3600, I can't boot with the timings tightened at all. I gave up for the night leaving the timings on Auto, which puts CAS at 26 lol. It wouldn't boot at 19, I didn't try any higher. I'm hoping with two good sticks and a bit more research I can tighten it up like yours. Thanks for the link to the guide.

Reactions: Freshfrenchfries

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
Glad to see your results, I'm going for a very similar build. Same CPU, cooler, fan, and the Micron 3G2E1 sticks, on a B550i Aorus. I just got the system up and running and tried to do some quick tuning. One stick appears to be dead, so I'm only trying with one at the moment. I can get it to 3800 at 1.4v, haven't tried higher. But at 3800 the Infinity Fabric desynchronizes down to a lower frequency, I haven't tried tweaking anything else to get it to sync. But even with Infinity Fabric and RAM both at 3600, I can't boot with the timings tightened at all. I gave up for the night leaving the timings on Auto, which puts CAS at 26 lol. It wouldn't boot at 19, I didn't try any higher. I'm hoping with two good sticks and a bit more research I can tighten it up like yours. Thanks for the link to the guide.
May I ask where did you get your sticks at? Any chance for a replacement?

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
Received my 2x16GB 3200MHz MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1 memory kit as well from Basetao. Did some tweaking this afternoon, and Taiphoon burner shows that it is the exact same batch as @Freshfrenchfries, manufactured at the same date. Both sticks work, but my results are mitigated as I cannot get them to much tighter timings.
I was able to achieve stable overclock of 3600 Mhz 20-22-22-58 @ 1.20V. Weirdly, bumping DRAM voltage up to 1.42V doesn't seems to have any impact on abitility to lower tCL, and even seems to cause BSODs when running memtest at the lowest timings I was running fine @ 1.20V. I am running a Ryzen 5 3600 on an Asus ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming, BIOS version 4007.

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
Received my 2x16GB 3200MHz MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1 memory kit as well from Basetao. Did some tweaking this afternoon, and Taiphoon burner shows that it is the exact same batch as @Freshfrenchfries, manufactured at the same date. Both sticks work, but my results are mitigated as I cannot get them to much tighter timings.
I was able to achieve stable overclock of 3600 Mhz 20-22-22-58 @ 1.20V. Weirdly, bumping DRAM voltage up to 1.42V doesn't seems to have any impact on abitility to lower tCL, and even seems to cause BSODs when running memtest at the lowest timings I was running fine @ 1.20V. I am running a Ryzen 5 3600 on an Asus ROG STRIX B450-I Gaming, BIOS version 4007.
Damn that doesn't seem to be any near great results. I wonder why that might've happened. Anyways please keep us updated with your further results. BTW I have received my kit as well but I'm still missing a lot of component for my final build (SSD, GPU, CPU XD) but I got everything else at this point. May be I'll buy the rest in about 2-3 months

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Anyone know if you can use a Noctua NF12x25 fan underneath a NH-L12* Louqe heatsink using VLP RAM? Thinking about getting some for my ASUS B550M TUF board.

*Not the L12S.

Last edited:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Anyone know if you can use a Noctua NF12x25 fan underneath a NH-L12* Loque heatsink using VLP RAM? Thinking about getting some for my ASUS B550M TUF board.

*Not the L12S.

43mm under the L-12, just under 18mm on the VLP. It certainly looks doable !!!
Some fan frame sanding would be worst case scenario.

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
Damn that doesn't seem to be any near great results. I wonder why that might've happened. Anyways please keep us updated with your further results. BTW I have received my kit as well but I'm still missing a lot of component for my final build (SSD, GPU, CPU XD) but I got everything else at this point. May be I'll buy the rest in about 2-3 months
Got some update with my Micron 32G D9WFL VLP kit. Managed to get better timings thanks to voltage tweakings. Only timing I could not get lower is tRCDRD at 21, I would always get BSODs and incorrectable WHEA errors at lower values. At the moment my current stable timings are 16-21-16-32 @ 3600Mhz.
DRAM voltage at 1.37V, VSOC at 1.10V, VDDG IOD at 1.00V, VDDG CCD at 1.00V and the most important was to lower cLDO VDDP at 0.90V, I think I was not able to get better results than stock because it was set to high.
Any idea to get tRCD lower ? it seems to be only depending on die quality...

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
@charlybegood g
This looks very good to my liking at least. But your right tRCDRD could be better. I'm new to this but dual rank 16GBx2 sticks at these timings look sick ;-D That would be awesome, If you will manage to improve it. I will be waiting for more of your awesome updates! GJ

(PS didn't know there are so many different voltages to manage ouch!)

Freshfrenchfries

Chassis Packer
Aug 13, 2019
@charlybegood perhaps try to increase voltage 0.1V at a time to 1.45V (or whatever you feel comfortable with) while trying tighter tRCD timings? Some of my timings are looser than yours as you can see from the OCCT screenshot below. You may find it better to raise tRP and tRAS to achieve a lower tRCD. I set all three tRFC settings to 300. Your tFAW (16) is also much lower than mine (24).

When I tuned my ram, I started with the "safe" or slightly higher timings listed in the github guide before incrementally dropping them until the system wasn't stable. I couldn't hit tRC (56) = tRP (18) + tRAS (38), so I backed it up to 64 (yours is at 62). Glad to hear you got tCAS down to 16 @ 3600MHz. Great job!