Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
I own a Pair of VLP Kingston RAM which i overtclocked to 3600mhz CL 16 (20,18,20 etc). With 1,37V.
Not limit tested to be honest, i just wanted my 1800mhz infinity clock and solid Timings so i chosed the quick way and adopted the Hynix Profil in the Ryzen OC Programm.
That's a pretty decent OC, they're 2666 by default right? Did you have to clock down to 3400 as your sig suggests or does that need updating? Is this with the 2600x also? Would be interesting to see how high they can clock with tuning.

CZero

Chassis Packer
Dec 18, 2018
Oh, my signature is very outdated.
Im using an 3800x on an Aorus B550i and also on an x570 impact VIII (before i bought an Louqe ghost).

Edit: Signature Update

Last edited:
Reactions: Hellow

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Oh, my signature is very outdated.
Im using an 3800x on an Aorus B550i and also on an x570 impact VIII (before i bought an Louqe ghost).

Edit: Signature Update
Since I also have a Ghost I had to point out that you misspelled Louqe in your Signature.

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
@n.tesla @Oizon
Guys, I finally got my hands on some Micron VLP 16GB D9WFL memory.
Seller is the one I talked to yesterday, most efficient seller ever ! his shop is IT硬件升级供应商城 (IT hardware upgrade supply mall)
Price is 520 yuan a piece, TaoBao Link here
Still waiting for the other order

For information, seller from this link still has D9WFL dies in stock, not the other.

Anomeat

Efficiency Noob
Feb 27, 2017
I've been having issues with finding an Taobao agent that would ship to the UK, AND offer payment options that are not a complete conundrum, and came across some Micron ram being sold as is.

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
This is the same memory reference, frequency and latency as the one we were searching for on Taobao!
Great to find it at a reasonnable price in europe, should be easier to order and faster to ship!
Question is which dies are used on the reference they have in stock ? is it possible for them to answer that question ?

P.S : with BaseTao agent you can use paypal or credit card payment, had no problem with that. And they should ship to UK, as @n.tesla used it as well.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Uh, I hit enter too eagerly, the link is

Single stick of 16GB, 3200MHz, but worrysome CAS, sitting at 22-22-22.
You should be able to significantly tighten those timings, especially if the modules are e-die.

I also recently discovered these same modules are now on sale at CCL for £78.93 inc VAT. Taobao is still cheaper but obviously you miss out on warranty/return possibility and shipping takes a while.

JJSEA

Caliper Novice
Dec 30, 2019
Well the other memory sticks I received are D9WFL dies as well !
Link here
Seller is 中芯电子服务器配件商 (SMIC server accessories supplier)
I had a good experience with this seller too. Bought 4 sticks on the 24th and sent to basetao. Arrived today in Thailand. I also lucked out and got DW9FL dies. Thanks to everybody for all the pointers.

I plan to use these in ECC mode. I verified that they work out of the box in ECC mode on an Asrock B550M with a Ryzen 5600X. Is this is the fastest unregistered ECC memory available? It is tempting to try to tighten the timings, but I am reluctant to do anything that might negatively affect stability.

Anomeat

Efficiency Noob
Feb 27, 2017
You should be able to significantly tighten those timings, especially if the modules are e-die.
Any way that I can definitively find out what the die is, without buying it?

I also recently discovered these same modules are now on sale at CCL for £78.93 inc VAT. Taobao is still cheaper but obviously you miss out on warranty/return possibility and shipping takes a while.

I think it actually adds up to be about even, after import and shipping? This is also considered a god send to me, as the refered Taobao agent, Basetao, is a pain to use in the UK, and the others I've come across seem to have too many hoops for me.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Is this is the fastest unregistered ECC memory available? It is tempting to try to tighten the timings, but I am reluctant to do anything that might negatively affect stability.
It's the fastest ECC VLP I've came across so far. What CPU and mobo are you using? If Ryzen, I would try cranking the frequency slowly up to 3600 MHz, raising voltage as necessary and then work on tightening the timings. You could try this reddit post as a starting point, might take a while to dial in but such is the cost of performance. Use memtest to ensure stability. Good luck!

Any way that I can definitively find out what the die is, without buying it?
You need to identify the IC by the laser etched code. All you can do is ask the seller if they can check for you.

I think it actually adds up to be about even, after import and shipping? This is also considered a god send to me, as the refered Taobao agent, Basetao, is a pain to use in the UK, and the others I've come across seem to have too many hoops for me.
Basetao allow you set the item value for customs so you can pay as much or as little tax as you like (read:zero) and since I had some heavier items to send anyway, the extra weight barely affected the postage cost. I had a fairly pleasant experience using Basetao but of course YMMV.

JJSEA

Caliper Novice
Dec 30, 2019
I had a good experience with this seller too. Bought 4 sticks on the 24th and sent to basetao. Arrived today in Thailand. I also lucked out and got DW9FL dies. Thanks to everybody for all the pointers.

I plan to use these in ECC mode. I verified that they work out of the box in ECC mode on an Asrock B550M with a Ryzen 5600X. Is this is the fastest unregistered ECC memory available? It is tempting to try to tighten the timings, but I am reluctant to do anything that might negatively affect stability.

I spoke too soon. When testing with Prime95, I got several corrected memory errors in Windows (in the the Event Log). This is without any manual BIOS adjustments. HWINFO showed them as CPU cache L3 errors, which I don't think I have ever seen before. The memory address was different for each error, which I am guessing means it's not a case of bad memory. I pulled out two of the sticks, and everything seems OK now. Another weird thing was that I tested with 4 sticks with memtest86 and memtest showed only 32Gb available (and didn't produce errors). I need to do more investigation. The QVL for my motherboard doesn't have any 3200Mhz ECC memory on it.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
I spoke too soon. When testing with Prime95, I got several corrected memory errors in Windows (in the the Event Log). This is without any manual BIOS adjustments. HWINFO showed them as CPU cache L3 errors, which I don't think I have ever seen before. The memory address was different for each error, which I am guessing means it's not a case of bad memory. I pulled out two of the sticks, and everything seems OK now. Another weird thing was that I tested with 4 sticks with memtest86 and memtest showed only 32Gb available (and didn't produce errors). I need to do more investigation. The QVL for my motherboard doesn't have any 3200Mhz ECC memory on it.
What hardware are you running?
It's likely the auto settings that are causing errors. Auto can apply all kinds of wide voltage margins and clock settings. Go manual.

JJSEA

Caliper Novice
Dec 30, 2019
What hardware are you running?
It's likely the auto settings that are causing errors. Auto can apply all kinds of wide voltage margins and clock settings. Go manual.

CPU is Ryzen 5600X. Motherboard is Asrock B550M Steel Legend. Just upgraded the BIOS to one using AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.1.0.0 patch D.

I found the motherboard would sometimes recognize only 2 of the 4 sticks with Auto settings. Manually reducing the speed seems to fix things (currently testing 3000MHz), as does increasing the voltage to 1.35V.

Does increasing voltage to 1.35V have any negative effects in terms of heat, reliability or chip longevity?

Is there a chance that switching motherboards would help? I also have an Asus TUF B550M (same chipset). I'm not clear whether memory compatibility depends more on the chipset, the motherboard or the CPU.

Last edited:

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
@JJSEA , I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your motherboard or 5600x so can't lend any specific advice. I would say though, if you're not too savvy on clocking RAM, have a look through that reddit post I linked and do some background research so you can manually dial in your settings, it's the only way you'll achieve higher clocks and perhaps getting all four sticks working at said clocks. e-die can be a very good performer but it's not without quirks.

1.35V is totally safe, this is more in line with what commercial kits are set to. Server RAM is aimed at low power consumption over bleeding edge performance so bringing it back up to this level is no issue at all.
Some people report e-die to scale poorly with voltage above a certain (varies) limit and some say it scales all the way up to 1.5V (with adequate cooling). I think it must be rather system specific.
Yes, 1.35V will generate more heat but not enough to even warrant heatspreaders I would imagine. Longevity will take a small hit but unless you're planning on running them in your rig 24/7 for the next 20 years, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

There is a chance switching motherboard will help, but likely only on a superficial level in that the auto settings of the new board might be better suited to your particular set up. Wither way, you'll still need to get your hands dirty if you want to maximise.

BakaBazooka

Chassis Packer
Nov 15, 2020
I just bought a kit of 2x8gb ADATA Purple VLP: the RAM chips are ADATA 43QA-0816A HY1828S DTCCAP03WG are these chips any good?

I thought the chips were spectek ? Funnily, I tried requesting for Hynix or Micron chips but they gave me this.

PVC

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 12, 2020
Can someone please translate this for me? --> (18-19-19-19-39-58, at 1.35v, 3200mhz)
  • I understand that 1.35v is the over-clocked DRAM Voltage.
  • I understand that 3200 MHz is the over-clocked DRAM speed that will be achieved.
  • I have a vague idea, but I don't understand exactly what (18-19-19-19-39-58) is?
I am trying to get this 2x8GB of purple ADATA PC DDR4 2666MHz VLP-RAM to 3200 MHz;

Last edited: