Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Just about to pull the trigger on 2666 vlp ram from aliexpress too...
I need anything less than 30.5mm, which means anything without a heatspreader.

I was wondering, which of these are best value:

ADATA 2666 16GB (2x8GB) 122 AUD (Aliexpress) (VLP)
G.Skill Aegis 3000 16GB (2x8GB) 127.60AUD (newegg US to Australia) (heatspreaderless, regular height)

I noted 10% performance difference in 3000mhz vs 2666mhz in Ryzen. For $5 price difference, i think the 3000 is better.
The 3000 is performance proof, the 2666 is SFF proof (in case i upgrade to an NH-L12 with an under-fan)

Last edited:

Hentrox

Chassis Packer
Nov 17, 2018
Just about to pull the trigger on 2666 vlp ram from aliexpress too...
I need anything less than 30.5mm, which means anything without a heatspreader.

I was wondering, which of these are best value:

ADATA 2666 16GB (2x8GB) 122 AUD (Aliexpress) (VLP)
G.Skill Aegis 3000 16GB (2x8GB) 127.60AUD (newegg US to Australia) (heatspreaderless, regular height)

I noted 10% performance difference in 3000mhz vs 2666mhz in Ryzen. For $5 price difference, i think the 3000 is better.
The 3000 is performance proof, the 2666 is SFF proof (in case i upgrade to an NH-L12 with an under-fan)
I would guess that in 99% of the cases regular low profile memory (Corsair lpx for example) or just regular memory without a heatsink will fit under your cooler (including the Noctua NH-L12). The only cooler that I know of that utilises VLP memory is the Alpenfohn Black Ridge.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a Corsair Vengence LPX 2 x 8GB 3200MHz CL16 kit off Amazon (currently NZD $135 + $9 shipping) and remove the heatsink (via watching a tutorial on YouTube). Or you could file the memory heatsink down a bit (or your cooler) to remove 0.5mm to make the memory your required 30.5mm in height. Or just squeeze it in. I'm sure there are some risks to take into account, but I'd find a way to make it fit... 0.5mm is nothing. But that's just me.

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
I would guess that in 99% of the cases regular low profile memory (Corsair lpx for example) or just regular memory without a heatsink will fit under your cooler (including the Noctua NH-L12). The only cooler that I know of that utilises VLP memory is the Alpenfohn Black Ridge.

If I was in your shoes, I would buy a Corsair Vengence LPX 2 x 8GB 3200MHz CL16 kit off Amazon (currently NZD $135 + $9 shipping) and remove the heatsink (via watching a tutorial on YouTube). Or you could file the memory heatsink down a bit (or your cooler) to remove 0.5mm to make the memory your required 30.5mm in height. Or just squeeze it in. I'm sure there are some risks to take into account, but I'd find a way to make it fit... 0.5mm is nothing. But that's just me.

Funny Enough VLP dimms can allow you to fit a full size 120mmx120mmx25mm fan underneath the L12. Assuming nothing else on your board is in the way. Otherwise you'll have to settle with a 15mm fan if you use LPX or Aegis memory or the 92mm fan if you use dimms with taller heatspreaders. I use this L12+Sterrox fan combo in the Ghost S1.

Last edited:

Donut

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Funny Enough VLP dimms can allow you to fit a full size 120mmx120mmx25mm fan underneath the L12. Assuming nothing else on your board is in the way. Otherwise you'll have to settle with a 15mm fan if you use LPX or Aegis memory or the 92mm fan if you use dimms with taller heatspreaders. I use this L12+Sterrox fan combo in the Ghost S1.
Very nice! I'm tempted to do this myself. Does moving from the 15mm width fan to the 25mm width fan lead to a significant reduction in noise?

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
With the ADATA VLP RAM, I couldn't overclock it past 3067Mhz. No matter how high I set the clock multiplier, it will top out at 3067. For now I am able to get 3000MHz at 16-18-18-38 @1.4V. I am using the Gigabyte Z370N WiFi motherboard with a 8700K. Stable with AIDA64 memory stability test, but I will have to do memtest soon just to be sure.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015

I've got a very esoteric heatsink - the Gelid Slim Hero. I'll run some sketchup simulations later comparing the L12 to the Slim Hero for 18mm and 31mm ram. Currently i'm using bare (31mm) DDR3 and i cant remember the clearance. If its 3-4mm then i'll definitely get the LPX, otherwise i'll have to either mod the LPX or just stick with the VLP

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
I've got a very esoteric heatsink - the Gelid Slim Hero. I'll run some sketchup simulations later comparing the L12 to the Slim Hero for 18mm and 31mm ram. Currently i'm using bare (31mm) DDR3 and i cant remember the clearance. If its 3-4mm then i'll definitely get the LPX, otherwise i'll have to either mod the LPX or just stick with the VLP

Didn't even know Gelid made cpu coolers; always just known them for being that brand that makes the PWM to VGA header adapter. How is the Slim Hero?

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Didn't even know Gelid made cpu coolers; always just known them for being that brand that makes the PWM to VGA header adapter. How is the Slim Hero?
Apparently it performs as well as the NH-L12 (within a degree) when it is using its stock fan(20mm) and stock paste. I upgraded to a 25mm noctua fan and nt-h1. My 1231v3 hasn't gone past 60c while rendering, and its in an LZ7 style case. The loudest thing was an 80mm fan, which i've replaced with a 100mm slim scythe fan.

Anyway, here's my sketchup mockups of an am4 motherboard with different ram heights:

I'm not sure how far thicc the cpu is (you can see from the simulation i've mounted the heatsink into the socket), it might add another 2mm, making Corsair LPX viable. I'm gonna go measure my real one today and check the clearance, i remember it having more than this simulation suggests.

Here's the real picture (z97i, xeon 1231v3):

Stock DDR3 is 30mm. Looks like Corsair LPX (33mm) will be barely touching...

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I have the Slim Hero in my Ncase htpc build cooling a i3-8100, needed the low profile because I am using 4 x 3.5 HDDs. I picked it up several years ago for my first itx build in a Cooler Maser Elite 110. It is a decent cooler, my i3 is usually well under 50C. I would imagine it would perform even better with a 25mm fan.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
OK, I'm rolling the dice. I just made my purchase using this link; here is hoping they arrive as they are supposed to.

Order arrived: Perfect! Now, I'm just waiting for Ryzen 3xxx to launch.

edit: I bought the ADATA VLP 2666 ram sticks, 2x8 gig sticks. About 21 days from purchase to arrival in the US.

Last edited:

blacktux

Case Bender
May 23, 2019
Hello,
Has anyone tried the Kingston non-ECC VLP DDR4 that someone mentioned in previous messages? If so, can you provide some performance info?
For European people they can be easily bought through Alternate (e.g. Here), plus they have good stock timings, 19-19-19-32.
Someone online said he received a model with Hynix chips.

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
plus they have good stock timings, 19-19-19-32.
Fwiw, those are bad or at best average stock timings. The Adata stock timings are a little worse.
For context, if I go to buy 16GB 2666mhz ram CL 19 is the worst available, with plenty of reasonably priced CL15/16/17 available.

blacktux

Case Bender
May 23, 2019
Fwiw, those are bad or at best average stock timings. The Adata stock timings are a little worse.
For context, if I go to buy 16GB 2666mhz ram CL 19 is the worst available, with plenty of reasonably priced CL15/16/17 available.
I know, obviously I meant good in comparison with other VLP RAMs mentioned in this thread, especially the Adata one....
Are there any "reasonably priced" RAMs with better latency and still Very Low Profile?

Last edited:
Reactions: NateDawg72

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
Does anyone know if the Gigabyte or MSI mini ITX Z390 boards are compatible with the NH-L12S + full-size 120mm x 25mm fan + VLP RAM combo without needing to mod the heat sinks?

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
Does anyone know if the Gigabyte or MSI mini ITX Z390 boards are compatible with the NH-L12S + full-size 120mm x 25mm fan + VLP RAM combo without needing to mod the heat sinks?
You need to remove the heatsinks, otherwise it wont fit.
You could easily mock it up in sketchup using the NH-L12S model, and guesstimating heights (usually the heatsinks are like 25-30mm tall)
Someone already modeled the aorus z390i. The Nh-L12s does not fit, due to the heatsink near the IO.
The MSI has the same IO heatsink over an ethernet/usb/usb combo, so that means the MSI wont fit either

Last edited:

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
You need to remove the heatsinks, otherwise it wont fit.
You could easily mock it up in sketchup using the NH-L12S model, and guesstimating heights (usually the heatsinks are like 25-30mm tall)
Someone already modeled the aorus z390i. The Nh-L12s does not fit, due to the heatsink near the IO.
The MSI has the same IO heatsink over an ethernet/usb/usb combo, so that means the MSI wont fit either

Thanks, no idea how to use sketchup so your input is appreciated.

I guess I have to take a hacksaw to my ASRock Z390 ITX board’s heatsinks to fit the L12S. Was hoping one of the Gigabyte or MSI boards would work since they’re listed as being compatible with the stock L12S by Noctua.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Thanks, no idea how to use sketchup so your input is appreciated.

I guess I have to take a hacksaw to my ASRock Z390 ITX board’s heatsinks to fit the L12S. Was hoping one of the Gigabyte or MSI boards would work since they’re listed as being compatible with the stock L12S by Noctua.
before you hack up that beautiful board, maybe check the spacing on the vrm heatsink mounting holes and try to find something from enzotech that fits. no need to destroy that heatsink assembly.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
There's a 50% chance you can just unscrew the heatsink from below. I did it on my asus z97i. Then, you can get adhesive 1cm mini heatsinks to attach to the mosfets

Reactions: NinoPecorino