Concept Vapor Frame: The Incredibly Functional Yet Beautiful Sff Case

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Yeah I always was wondering the same but this would require a complete redo in terms of case layout. A mobo / GPU on the same side would be much more logical. Who wants to show off the power supply? If this case is meant to show off components then the GPU should be placed in front. This would also allow the motherboard to be pushed further back and give it and the GPU more height clearance too. Better cooling and better looking.
It may not require that much work. The plan is to add an option of mounting the GPU vertically, similar to the NR200's optional riser mounted GPU setup. This would only work for the Standard model, as well as the Pro model. From a looks perspective, as power supplies are the same size and relatively discreet, it allows the motherboard, CPU cooler, and sleeved cables to grab the viewers' attention. The PSU is also mounted in such a way to provide balance and symmetry to the front layout. There are already a lot of adjustments for the mid-plate, the rad clearance at the rear has to also be kept in mind, likewise the PSU also needs a minimum of 52 mm of clearance, so space is still being used efficiently.

Last edited:

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Do you know what GPU length/height capacity is?
GPU height capacity varies a lot depending on what radiator setup you are using. With a rear mounted 360 mm rad, (25 mm fans at the bottom,15 mm fans at the top) you have 372 mm of height. In another setup where you'd be running an EK 240 PE rad at the top, bottom, and rear, along with Phanteks T30 fans, you would have 298 mm of clearance.
Height wise, there is 146 mm of clearance when a rad is being populated alongside the GPU. Without the rear mounted rad, or measuring underneath it, there is 266 mm of clearance. These measurements are taken from the bottom of the PCIE plug.

Reactions: Jamessko

paskowitz

Efficiency Noob
Feb 23, 2022
GPU height capacity varies a lot depending on what radiator setup you are using. With a rear mounted 360 mm rad, (25 mm fans at the bottom,15 mm fans at the top) you have 372 mm of height. In another setup where you'd be running an EK 240 PE rad at the top, bottom, and rear, along with Phanteks T30 fans, you would have 298 mm of clearance.
Height wise, there is 146 mm of clearance when a rad is being populated alongside the GPU. Without the rear mounted rad, or measuring underneath it, there is 266 mm of clearance. These measurements are taken from the bottom of the PCIE plug.
TY for the reply. So basically, length isn't a problem, but tall GPUs with a water block are probably a no go with a side radiator. Noted. Not a big deal since it's very likely the next Nvidia FE card will be a short PCB and there will be plenty of normal size PCB models (EVGA XC3 for example, which is about 267x137mm PCIE plug to top of fittings terminal). Accommodating larger PCB GPU (in a max rad config) would probably require expanding the total size of the case, so not worth it for just that specific niche scenario.

Reactions: Rama_Dynamics

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
TY for the reply. So basically, length isn't a problem, but tall GPUs with a water block are probably a no go with a side radiator. Noted. Not a big deal since it's very likely the next Nvidia FE card will be a short PCB and there will be plenty of normal size PCB models (EVGA XC3 for example, which is about 267x137mm PCIE plug to top of fittings terminal). Accommodating larger PCB GPU (in a max rad config) would probably require expanding the total size of the case, so not worth it for just that specific niche scenario.
Yep! That’s the idea :)

paskowitz

Efficiency Noob
Feb 23, 2022
@Rama_Dynamics What is the side panel situation? All mesh, or will there be glass options? I was thinking it would be cool to split the panels in two and then let people mix and match as fits their configuration. Similar to the Lian Li Q58. For the front it would be: all mesh, glass top/mesh bottom, mesh top/glass bottom. Side would be the same, just left/right vs top/bottom. This would require two separate pieces and some type of single mounting mechanism that can secure both. Perhaps instead of a complicated latch, maybe a slide in system that is then closed off at one end. Personally, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable premium for this.

Houdini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 15, 2019
@Rama_Dynamics What is the side panel situation? All mesh, or will there be glass options? I was thinking it would be cool to split the panels in two and then let people mix and match as fits their configuration. Similar to the Lian Li Q58. For the front it would be: all mesh, glass top/mesh bottom, mesh top/glass bottom. Side would be the same, just left/right vs top/bottom. This would require two separate pieces and some type of single mounting mechanism that can secure both. Perhaps instead of a complicated latch, maybe a slide in system that is then closed off at one end. Personally, I'd be happy to pay a reasonable premium for this.
I have to admit this is pretty clever! Not only draws a split panel they eye towards whatever is behind the glass but at the same time it allows the PSU and radiator to be as performant as possible (referring to the layout of image 1 & 2)

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Wow, this looks incredible. I have a perfect idea of how to do this! Only problem with the first image is that there needs to be an area for rear IO and a cutout for where the display cables exit.

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Do we have a rough estimation on when this might be launched? I realize it's impossible to say exactly but like, is it possible before summer? Not likely? Towards end of year? Or is even this year out of the question? Just a general ballpark :)

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Do we have a rough estimation on when this might be launched? I realize it's impossible to say exactly but like, is it possible before summer? Not likely? Towards end of year? Or is even this year out of the question? Just a general ballpark :)
Right now, the work is going into refining all the existing parts. I'm currently re-working the rear mesh (that will be up this week). There's roughly 4-6 weeks of design work left. After that, the focus will be on sourcing PCBs for the rear IO, along with having some prototypes made. It will roughly take another 4 months to get to this point. Once everything is confirmed to work and fit properly, manufacturing refinements such as extrusion molds, sand blasting, anodizing, etc. will be the focus. Getting to the point where units are shipped to folks will probably be closer to the end of this year.

forstsiven

Chassis Packer
Jun 2, 2016
Any idea of cost for standard, performance, and atx? I msg'd you on reddit, but I think it'd make sense for the ATX case to be a big larger to accommodate EATX boards like the EVGA dark series. Still, though, the apex board would fit anyways, so not a deal breaker by any stretch. Just considering the copper accents, the Dark boards would match extremely well.

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Any idea of cost for standard, performance, and atx? I msg'd you on reddit, but I think it'd make sense for the ATX case to be a big larger to accommodate EATX boards like the EVGA dark series. Still, though, the apex board would fit anyways, so not a deal breaker by any stretch. Just considering the copper accents, the Dark boards would match extremely well.
Sorry about that! I don’t go on Reddit a whole lot. There probably won’t be a huge variation in the price of these models. The only difference between each model is the midplate. I would love to support EATX boards but they’re simply too large. The case would have to be expanded to a point that it would no longer be considered sff.

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Here's the long overdue update and response to @paskowitz request. After a lot of head scratching and plenty of redesigns, we’ve finally settled on this design. There are three options for panels, mesh, glass and fabric. With the glass panels, you have the option to insert a pattern inlay. These panels are all magnetically attached. IO can be moved up or down and be installed either above or below the large central panel. There is an optional dual USB 3.0 panel that swaps in for one of the blank panels. The power button (located at the bottom below the IO) is pushed downwards to operate, and can be had in a stainless steel or copper finish.

Last edited:

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Any update, mate? :)
I’ve been in contact with some factories and have been getting feedback on the design, so changes are being made there. I’ve been able to source pcbs and am testing fabrics as well.

I posted about this project a few weeks ago On Reddit and there are a lot of new renders there for any one interested.

There is still a list of things to do but everything is coming together :)

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
My apologies for taking so long to update you folks. There have been major changes to the Model X (ATX).
Front mounted GPUs are now supported, we are planning to make this change available to every model. A handle has been added to the case design. At the rear there are various ways to mount the PSU to support virtually any GPU. The sample build is w/ a front mounted EKWB RTX 3090, 3 x 240 mm rad and T30 fans.

*note that rear rad can swap out for GPU (behind mesh)*

Last edited: