Concept Vapor Frame: The Incredibly Functional Yet Beautiful Sff Case

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
Important note: With the feedback received from this forum, many changes have been made to the project. For every change made, a reference image has been uploaded to make it easy to find the updates. We recommend a quick browse through the thread to get a more accurate view of where the project is at now. Thank you for your interest.

Hey folks! What once started as a personal project for us has now spiraled into a deep venture. We-a team of two brothers-would like to present the Vapor Frame. The original concept came from this beautiful project found on Reddit, which sparked the idea of creating an art display styled enclosure that presents the internal hardware elegantly. The aim from the beginning was to see this hung on people’s walls, but we know in most cases having it sitting on a desk or plotted on a monitor arm will be more ideal.

Here are the technical specs

Dimensions: L: 292, W: 153, H: 435 (mm)

Volume: 19.4 L

Models: Standard & Performance models support mini ITX/DTX motherboards, whereas Pro models support micro ATX boards. The performance model brings the motherboard and PSU closer together to add radiator support at the top and bottom of the enclosure. Swapping between models only requires a mid-plate swap, which essentially requires you to loosen 6 screws.
EDIT: ATX model (Max model) has also been introduced

CPU cooler clearance: 52 mm of clearance w/ 15 mm standoffs and 69 mm of clearance in rear chamber (3 slot GPU). 67 mm of clearance w/ 15 mm standoffs and 54 mm of clearance in rear chamber (2 slot GPU).

GPU support: Standard and Pro: up to 3 slot & 348 mm length GPU. Performance: 3 slot 338 mm length, w/ top rad installed, that number drops to roughly 315 mm length.

Fan support: 2 full sized 120 mm fans at the top and 2 at the bottom, along w/ 3 additional 120 or 2 140 (mm) fans at the rear.

Rad support: Standard and Pro: up to a single 360 or 280 (mm) rad at the rear. Performance: up to a single 360 or 280 (mm) rad at the rear along w/ a full sized 240 mm rad at the top and bottom (33 mm thickness w/ 25 mm fans).

PSU support: SFX and SFX-L

Pump Support: DDC pumps up to 141 mm in length w/ rear radiator brackets installed.

Storage: Up to 4 2.5-inch drives

Additional features: The motherboard retaining plates from the performance and standard models can be swapped between each other and can rotate in any direction. Due to the size of the mATX MB in the Pro model, a rail system had to be implemented to slide the MB to the edge of the case for better IO accessibility. Additionally, the radiator brackets found at the rear can be swapped out for an additional GPU.

Optional Extras: VESA mount system, aluminum accents, side accent covers, additional GPU brackets or Rad brackets.

Closing remarks: If you are interested in the project, we often post updates on Instagram @Rama_Dynamics. As a side note, a short while after the name was thought up, we were bummed to find that it was similar to a company called Rama Works; however, the name originally came from the Slavic word рама, meaning cradle. The idea was inspired by the art deco style found in Bioshock. In our case, the name was a metaphor for a diver being cradled in a suit, so we’ve decided to stick with it.

Last edited:

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
beautiful renders but completely impractical to me. I can't visualise the layout at all. Is it just me?
Think meshlicious but CPU side is the front. Fans top and bottom and instead of fans in the front of the mesh, looks like there's a rail in the back. Looks like the back has pass through for cables. Looks like power cable might need to be flat or lower profile in the back.

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
beautiful renders but completely impractical to me. I can't visualise the layout at all. Is it just me?
That’s understandable. @Stinkybear hit it on the head. Standoffs are going to be extremely tall so that cables can easily be passed to the rear chamber. The massive door in the back allows you to reach in and pass them out the back. The GPU sits in the back similarly to how the Meshlicious works, alongside it is the radiator mount.

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Think meshlicious but CPU side is the front. Fans top and bottom and instead of fans in the front of the mesh, looks like there's a rail in the back. Looks like the back has pass through for cables. Looks like power cable might need to be flat or lower profile in the back.

That’s understandable. @Stinkybear hit it on the head. Standoffs are going to be extremely tall so that cables can easily be passed to the rear chamber. The massive door in the back allows you to reach in and pass them out the back. The GPU sits in the back similarly to how the Meshlicious works, alongside it are the radiator rails. I've included another picture that may be some help. The 2 rails to the left are used to mount the radiator. The GPU bracket is to the right of the case.
thanks guys! silly me thought the GPU would be in the same chamber together with the CPU and the back chamber is for radiator, psu etc. since you're supporting M-DTX, will the CPU chamber have enough clearance for the SODIMM card of the C8I? IIRC it requires about 82mm.

Performance: up to a single 360 or 280 (mm) rad at the rear along w/ a full sized 240 mm rad at the top and bottom (32 mm thickness w/ 15 mm fans).
and do I read it right that maximum 3 radiators possible? with top and bottom maximum clearance of 47mm each? I'm sure people would be more than happy to run TX240 + 2x 25mm fans, but maybe explore the possibility of move-able mid-section to allow different clearance combination? For example I would prefer 65mm up top for GTS 240 + 25mm fans and just run 2x 25mm fans at the bottom.

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2017
Subscribed!

The design looks gorgeous, can't wait to give it a go!

What GPUs do you expect to be compatible with the Vapor Frame?

Reactions: Rama_Dynamics

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
thanks guys! silly me thought the GPU would be in the same chamber together with the CPU and the back chamber is for radiator, psu etc. since you're supporting M-DTX, will the CPU chamber have enough clearance for the SODIMM card of the C8I? IIRC it requires about 82mm.

and do I read it right that maximum 3 radiators possible? with top and bottom maximum clearance of 47mm each? I'm sure people would be more than happy to run TX240 + 2x 25mm fans, but maybe explore the possibility of move-able mid-section to allow different clearance combination? For example I would prefer 65mm up top for GTS 240 + 25mm fans and just run 2x 25mm fans at the bottom.
82 mm is stretching it. You could technically get away with 82 mm of clearance at the front, however at that point you would not be able to pass anything behind the motherboard so all you would have left is the 4 cutouts at the corners.
As for 3 radiators, that is true, you can have up to 720 mm of rad volume (3 240s), or even 760 mm of rad volume (2 240s, 1 280) however, I would advise against using the 280 rad if possible because it restricts the channel for cables. I am glad you mentioned the vertically adjustable mid-section, as it's something I had in my mind for a while. I will implement it and post some updates.

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
After thinking about what @thelaughingman said, a few changes were made to the Performance model to provide 11.5 extra mm of clearance above and below the mid-plate. What this means is that you would be able to install rads like the EK SE 240 and Corsair H100 (28 mm thick) with the addition of 2 full sized 25 mm fans in both top and bottom positions.

Last edited:

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I suggested to do something similar to the standard just by 5mm top and bottom to fit phanteks t30s if possible, unless it messes with something important.

Rama_Dynamics

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 14, 2021
I suggested to do something similar to the standard just by 5mm top and bottom to fit phanteks t30s if possible, unless it messes with something important.
I think that would be a great idea, the only problem is that the fan/rad brackets essentially slide into the frame of the case. They're designed within .25 +- mm tolerances of 25 and 15 mm fans. In the future, if there is enough of a demand, having a 30 mm bracket would definitely be an option.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Looks unreal dude!

Edit: Would love to see some renders with components in if at all possible! Struggling to really cement the idea in my head with them :’)

Edit the 2nd: I now see others have commented on components, sorry!

Last edited:

Abhizit

Efficiency Noob
Jul 14, 2020
I have been working on some concept for few months now and some principles this case is based on are very similar to whjaat i have been planning. Not good at 3d molding so don't have the renders like these, Working entirely in UD designs on illustrator.

Love the design and approach you are taking... now i am following this thread till the thread is alive for sure..