Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Just curious how tight the rad tollerances are.

Looking at 45mm options for rad+fans and you could either go something like EK SE240+15mm 120 fans or very nearly an XSPC TX240 which is 125mm wide and 20.5mm thick which technically makes it 1mm wider than the tollerances and .5mm taller - do you think it would squeeze in or not possible?

If there was a way to allow use of Noctua A12x25's then that'd be a win for custom watercoolers.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Just curious how tight the rad tollerances are.

Looking at 45mm options for rad+fans and you could either go something like EK SE240+15mm 120 fans or very nearly an XSPC TX240 which is 125mm wide and 20.5mm thick which technically makes it 1mm wider than the tollerances and .5mm taller - do you think it would squeeze in or not possible?

If there was a way to allow use of Noctua A12x25's then that'd be a win for custom watercoolers.
Hmmmm... This might work only if the part of the radiator where the fittings are is less than 125mm in width.... The clearance of the frame behind the front panel is exactly 125mm, and the middle part between the side panels is 127mm...

In terms of height, the total clearance is 46.5mm... 1.5mm i have purposely kept for things like rubber anti-vibration pads and manufacturing tolerances...

So yes maybe, just maybe, you could, but would be a super tight fit...

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Hmmmm... This might work only if the part of the radiator where the fittings are is less than 125mm in width.... The clearance of the frame behind the front panel is exactly 125mm, and the middle part between the side panels is 127mm...

In terms of height, the total clearance is 46.5mm... 1.5mm i have purposely kept for things like rubber anti-vibration pads and manufacturing tolerances...

So yes maybe, just maybe, you could, but would be a super tight fit...
Well it wouldn't be a proper SFF system if it wasn't!

I reckon I'd give it a try - would be more fun than an AIO haha

LazerDiller

Cable Smoosher
Jul 24, 2020
This! THIS! This is exactly what I've been scribbling down and trying to design myself. May I ask what software was used for the modeling and how?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
This! THIS! This is exactly what I've been scribbling down and trying to design myself. May I ask what software was used for the modeling and how?
The software used was solidworks... Not sure what you mean by how?
For rendering i went with keyshot

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Any idea when prototype will go out to testers or first release? 1 year from now?

Definitely getting this case.
I'm glad you like it!

If I'm being optimistic, I'm targeting getting the prototype and sending it out to testers in the next couple of months... If all is smooth, hopefully start production by the end of the year, or early next year.

vusun123

Average Stuffer
Jul 10, 2020
A case smaller than the T1 but can hold a full custom loop in it? Now I’m interested. But knowing the Ncase (which is another product Lian-Li did the work) the aluminum is kinda flimsy to me with the V6 compare to the V5. I wonder how the prototype will feel though

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
A case smaller than the T1 but can hold a full custom loop in it? Now I’m interested. But knowing the Ncase (which is another product Lian-Li did the work) the aluminum is kinda flimsy to me with the V6 compare to the V5. I wonder how the prototype will feel though

One of the things that I'm exploring with them is to have 1.5mm thick panels instead of the usual 1-1.2mm. This should give the panels a more premium feel and added sturdiness.

vusun123

Average Stuffer
Jul 10, 2020
One of the things that I'm exploring with them is to have 1.5mm thick panels instead of the usual 1-1.2mm. This should give the panels a more premium feel and added sturdiness.
Agree, making the panels too thin can make installation go wrong (I nearly bent the Ncase V6’s frame)

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Sleek! Love the minimal approach without buttons/io/etc. Even the panels have no additional openings, mount points - love it! I am looking for such case!

- would you consider different feet style? Sort of like the newly designed M1 or Sliger SM5xx style?
- other options for the top panel; shed the screws and have a magnet/pins/etc?
- I know less is more, but a kensigton lock possibility in the back?

Can't wait to see more updates.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Sleek! Love the minimal approach without buttons/io/etc. Even the panels have no additional openings, mount points - love it! I am looking for such case!

- would you consider different feet style? Sort of like the newly designed M1 or Sliger SM5xx style?
- other options for the top panel; shed the screws and have a magnet/pins/etc?
- I know less is more, but a kensigton lock possibility in the back?

Can't wait to see more updates.
Thanks!

To answer the first question, I not sure ill have different feet options at the start, but the feet will be secured with standard M3 screws, so you can replace them if you like with something that's compatible...

For the 2nd and 3rd questions, It's very hard to add anything else to the case, as the clearances and spaces that are in the case right now is down to the 1mm margins... Very hard to justify.... The top panel literally has no space to even fit the push pins lol, so short 2mm height screws were the main viable option.

However, if i do manage to get this off the ground, I'm already planning for another design to incorporate everything and anything... But naturally it will be larger than this one.

Reactions: iksretep

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
This is very cool and I'm looking forward to the first prototypes! I've got a couple of questions about the current design.

The PSU bracket is designed to be removable so the order of installation is remove bracket, attach PSU to bracket, secure bracket to bottom of case?

Currently the front panel is essentially decorative right? To hide the side panel "hooks" and clean up the lines? Any thoughts on making the front of the chassis (the part that will be covered by the snap I'm front panel) more interesting? Like mounting holes for pump res combos and such for those using a shorter GPU? Or having cutouts to pass SATA cables and SSD mounting holes (maybe accommodate 2 SSDs in the front. Of course I realize there is 0 space between front chassis and front panel, but perhaps an alternate deeper front panel can be available as an accessory for the storage obsessed among us. Other possibilities include IO front panel, integrated display front panel. All optional, as an extra cost accessory.

Reactions: Pooota and Tazpr

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
This is very cool and I'm looking forward to the first prototypes! I've got a couple of questions about the current design.

The PSU bracket is designed to be removable so the order of installation is remove bracket, attach PSU to bracket, secure bracket to bottom of case?

Currently the front panel is essentially decorative right? To hide the side panel "hooks" and clean up the lines? Any thoughts on making the front of the chassis (the part that will be covered by the snap I'm front panel) more interesting? Like mounting holes for pump res combos and such for those using a shorter GPU? Or having cutouts to pass SATA cables and SSD mounting holes (maybe accommodate 2 SSDs in the front. Of course I realize there is 0 space between front chassis and front panel, but perhaps an alternate deeper front panel can be available as an accessory for the storage obsessed among us. Other possibilities include IO front panel, integrated display front panel. All optional, as an extra cost accessory.
Yes you are correct in the PSU installation order.

The front panel, it is also there to make the manufacturing process more feasible, since if there was no frame, I'll have to build the structure of the case into the finished aluminum piece... Which opens up alot of windows for error which increases the cost of production..

As for adding holes for a pump, believe me i tried... The case has a total internal width of 125mm... 65mm goes to the PSU, and then 5mm for the needed clearances... You'll be left with around 55mm to play with which isn't enough...

I haven't explored the idea of accessories, but should be easy enough to consider later

Kordron

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 23, 2020
Very interesting case, definitely keeping an eye on it. Can't wait to see how it stacks up vs other cases (especially the T1).
Any updates on availability/pricing etc. yet?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Very interesting case, definitely keeping an eye on it. Can't wait to see how it stacks up vs other cases (especially the T1).
Any updates on availability/pricing etc. yet?
Thanks! Not yet, as I've run into some problems with the first sample, so I'm adjusting the case to eliminate these issues... I will post everything here once I've finalized it.