Stalled [Update: 22-02-2021 - V1.1 Revised internals] LytCase Rogue: 8.9L Sandwich style case with 240mm AIO support.

Keep sub 9L volume or exceed 9L for better overall compatibility?

• Keep sub 9L with 2lot configuration and better cpu block clearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep aub 9L with 2.5slot and limited cpu block clearance

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Exceed 9L only to the point where a 3 slot card can fit

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Go full-on - 3slot, standard fans, cpu block clearance etc.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hi All,
Its been a long wait, but we finally have the revised prototype. Calling it v1.1 for now. The external is identical, the only difference is inside:

Not much changes to the front, other than a cut out at the bottom to make it easier for opening and a guidance pin in the middle.

Here's the motherboard and GPU Side, as you can see the GPU slot to the top and the PCI-E cable connect to the motherboard from the bottom (I'm still having issues with the bulky quick disconnects on the alpha cool AIO lol, might change the tubing). Another change are the cutouts on the side lips to allow for more room:

Here's the back, the power button being the obvious change, and by popular demand - 2.5slot support for the GPU:

I'm closer to completion now, just need to sort out the logistics now. Hope you guys like it!

Last edited:

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Hey guys, so I finally got the sample and moved my build into it... Had to use the stock cables that came with the PSU since the pslate cables i had in the ghost were not the correct lengths, so yes I know the cable management isn't the best... the only issue i had was the quick disconnects of the lt240 was way to bulky and i really struggled to get it in, but i guess swapping the tubes would fix that.... All in all i do feel that custom cables is a must here.

Here it is next to the Ghost S1 (no top hats), just as a size and color comparison:

So now for some thermal testing... First off here's the part list:
CPU: 7600k delided + liquid metal over clocked to 4.7ghz
GPU: EVGA 2070 black edition
Motherboard: Asus z270i strix
PSU: Corsair sf600
Ram: 2x8gb Corsair vengeance lpx 3200
Cooling: alphacool lt240 aio
Fans: NF-A12x15 chromax

Ambient temp: 23c

So ran an Aida64 stress test on all except disks, temps stabilized 25mins in:

Pretty good results, as the CPU peaked at 63c, considering its overclocked, I think I could probably push it to 5ghz now.

Next I ran heaven at max setting with 1440p resolution for 2:30 hrs and here's the temps after:

GPU Peaked at 73c which but was mainly hoovering at the 66-68c range, again not a bad result. I used to hit 81c peaks with the Ghost S1.

Hope you guys find this useful. Looking forward to your feedback!
Finally, the first sample is completed! Its been rough but I'm happy with the result so far:

Lian-Li will be shipping the case to me soon, so i can finally get a build going and do some testing ? I cant wait!

Looking forward for your feedback!!

Case Specs:
Dimensions: 226mm(H) x 130mm(W) x 305mm(D)
Volume: 8.96L
Cooling: Up to 30mm thick radiators with 15mm slim fans - Total of 45mm(+1.5mm extra just to help with installation). Max radiator width is 124mm.
Air Cooling: Max height of 61mm (The case is optimized for use with AIOs, hence the low air cooling height support)
GPU Support: Up to 295mm Dual-slot
Storage: 1x2.5" drive
Ok so exciting new update, the panels are back from being sandblasted and anodized ?, still waiting on the frame and will post fully assembled pictures soon:

Here's a few close up shots showing off the texture:

Do note that the color in the photos here might not be 100% accurate, as the look of it changes with the lighting (which I kinda like lol)

I'm personally happy with the result and looking forward to hearing your feedback!
So finally getting close to the first working model, but here's a summary of what has changed:

Dimensional Changes:
  • The PSU needed to be moved as it was obstructing the 24-pin motherboard power connector. The only way to do this was to have a 3mm gap by extending the case a bit.
  • Needed to increased the clearance above the GPU by 3mm as the PCI-E bracket at the back was touching the power extension cable.
  • The panels are now 1.5mm, this adds 1mm(0.5mm on each side) to the width of the case, but should give a more premium feel than the regular 1-1.2mm panels.
All these changes make the current dimensions of the case 130mm x 226mm x 305mm which puts the volume back at 8.96L which meets the original goal of a sub-9L case. Just to give you an idea of how tight the margins are, the change to a 1.5mm panel alone might look like a small change but it takes the volume from 8.8L to 8.9L.

Overall I feel the above are all justified compromises to deliver a better overall end result.

Design changes:

• Added a support to the top of the case to add to the strength of the case.
  • Replace the cut-out below the PSU with regular vents. This was due to the fact that it was not lining up correctly with the PSU power switch and cable, which defeats the purpose of the cut-out.
  • The hinge-clip door like side panel design had to go, as with vibrations it would rattle and well.... obvious buzz kill. So we instead went with a slide design. The side panels now slide front back into position. And for the sake of uniformity, got rid of the screws for the top panel and implemented the same. The front panel then clips on and secures everything with the push pins. (the picture below will give you a better idea of what i mean as its hard to explain through text alone).
  • So in essence and to summarize, all the panels are tool-less and the front panel holds everything together with push-pins.
What's next:
  • Need to fix the alignment of the ventilation holes, as you'll see below its a bit off - rest assured they will be corrected.
  • The side panels, top and front panels are not aligned properly when everything is put together. This needs to be fixed.
  • Sand-blasting and anodizing.

Here's the raw sample, please remember that this is all with raw materials and will have a finish applied later:

In the pictures below, the corner cutouts are whats used to slide the panels into place:

Although, the pins look massive here, those are mainly the wielding marks, which wont show in the finished product:

The design has gone through a few changes based on feedback and while attempting to further optimize the space. Here's the redesigned LytCase Rogue:

Specs:

Dimensions: 223mm(H) x 129mm(W) x 301mm(D)
Volume: 8.65L
Cooling: Up to 30mm thick radiators with 15mm slim fans - Total of 45mm(+1.5mm extra just to help with installation). Max radiator width is 124mm.
Air Cooling: Max height of 61mm (The case is optimized for use with AIOs, hence the low air cooling height support)
GPU Support: Up to 295mm Dual-slot
Storage: 1x2.5" drive

So whats different?
  • The first change was the position of the cooling; it is now by default at the top rather than having the case be flipped to get the optimal orientation.
  • The second is the "spine" has been removed and the PSU is now positioned at the bottom. This gives much more room for tubing and cable routing.
  • The third change is to the bottom cutouts. Since we wont be mounting the cooling at the bottom anymore, the size of the cutouts have been reduced to help with dust without much impact to airflow. Also, a cutout right below the PSU mount has been added for easy access to the PSU power switch.

All panels will be secured using push pins. The side panels slot into the front of the case and then secured by push pins at the back. Here's a render with the front panel off to show this:

The decision has been made to go with Lian Li for the production. We are currently finalizing talks to start on the prototype within the next few weeks.

As always, looking forward to your feedback and comments!

Here are some more renders from different angles:

Hi All,

Just wanted to share with you guys my case design: LytCase Rogue

The Rogue is designed with 240mm AIO in mind, minimal aesthetics and max ventilation. Here's some of the specs:

Dimensions: 220mm(H) x 129mm(W) x 315mm(D)
Volume: 8.93L
Cooling Clearance: Up to 30mm thick radiators with 15mm slim fans - Total of 45mm. Max radiator width is 124mm.
Air Cooling: Max height of 61mm
GPU Support: Up to 305mm Dual-slot

The case can be flipped to have the cooling to be at the Top using the optional side struts.

Front and Side-panels are secured using Lian Li's Push pins as it will mostly likely be manufactured by them. The side panel slides behind the front panel where there's a cutout, and is secured in the back with 2 push pins.

Will post more details as I go. Looking forward to your feedback!

Last edited:

ziggehh

Chassis Packer
Jun 16, 2020
Looks tidy! Loving the minimal looks and sleek design.

I think its worthwhile allowing 10mm extra height to fit 25mm fans with the radiator. The increased noise and reduced performance of 15mm fans is just not worth saving 10-15mm in overall case height.

Really hope this project comes to fruition - following!

Reactions: leski

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This might become a decent cheaper alternative to the Dan case. Have you been in touch with Lian Li before? The aesthetics do look reminiscent of what they've produced before. I think putting an 240 AIO in the smallest case possible would be a good selling point.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Looks tidy! Loving the minimal looks and sleek design.

I think its worthwhile allowing 10mm extra height to fit 25mm fans with the radiator. The increased noise and reduced performance of 15mm fans is just not worth saving 10-15mm in overall case height.

Really hope this project comes to fruition - following!

Thanks! Bigger fans are a part of my next project

This might become a decent cheaper alternative to the Dan case. Have you been in touch with Lian Li before? The aesthetics do look reminiscent of what they've produced before. I think putting an 240 AIO in the smallest case possible would be a good selling point.

I'm not sure of the costing yet, as I need to finalize the prototype, so I can't claim to be cheaper... And yes, I'm in contact with them, and most of the design takes into account their processes. I'll confirm whether or not I decide to go with them soon.

hammersticks

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 27, 2020
I know this is fairly new, but are there any new updates on this or more pics? I am very interested in this design. It looks great.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I know this is fairly new, but are there any new updates on this or more pics? I am very interested in this design. It looks great.
Thanks! Will be updating the post soon, as i have been working on refining it further and possibly lower the volume more. Also trying to make it more practical by having the cooling up top in the standard orientation rather than below, since that's the most optimal.

hammersticks

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 27, 2020
Yeah having it on top as the primary position would be preferred for sure. Would it still accommodate a 240 aio if you went smaller?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Yeah having it on top as the primary position would be preferred for sure. Would it still accommodate a 240 aio if you went smaller?
Yes, that's the main feature of this case... However, im still debating it... As to keep the volume low, I might need to have the gpu and mobo in the upside down position. I'm currently targeting the 8.5-8.6L volume

hammersticks

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 27, 2020
Yeah that would be perfect. Would there be a dust filter where the aio is showed to be in your current design as I noticed the holes are rather large at the bottom.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Yeah that would be perfect. Would there be a dust filter where the aio is showed to be in your current design as I noticed the holes are rather large at the bottom.
That's part of the changes, as it was pointed out to me before... The bottom cutouts will definitely be changed.

SeBBBe

Case Bender
New User
Jun 28, 2020
I really like the look of this case! I'm currently rocking a Ghost S1 with a top hat to hold a 240 mil AIO but I'm not sold on the aesthetics of the top hat system so this layout is exactly perfect. Looks a bit thinner as well, which is great when you don't require air cooler clearance.

+1 for having the AIO up top without orienting components upside down. I feel like this is an ideal config for an easy to build, powerful mITX rig.

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
I really like the look of this case! I'm currently rocking a Ghost S1 with a top hat to hold a 240 mil AIO but I'm not sold on the aesthetics of the top hat system so this layout is exactly perfect. Looks a bit thinner as well, which is great when you don't require air cooler clearance.

+1 for having the AIO up top without orienting components upside down. I feel like this is an ideal config for an easy to build, powerful mITX rig.
Thanks! I'm still working on keeping the part orientation normal, however there are some advantages that im currently exploring that only works with upside down internals

Reactions: SeBBBe

Peigonz

Case Bender
New User
Jul 3, 2020
Looks really clean/sharp. Great design.
Gotta admit i like the idea of making some room for tubing & cable routing, it was always my problem with other cases on the market.

looking forward for more updates. Def gon keep an eye out. Wish you well :)

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Looks great - with LianLi being the chosen manufacturer can I assume that it will be brushed aluminium?

Lytnin

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
May 2, 2020
Looks great - with LianLi being the chosen manufacturer can I assume that it will be brushed aluminium?

Thanks! Actually going for more of a muted texture... Ill be posting pictures once they finish with the first sample.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Thanks! Actually going for more of a muted texture... Ill be posting pictures once they finish with the first sample.
Oh good - I'm a big fan of matte anodized surfaces but refrain from buying Lian Li made cases due to the brushed texture.

Will be watching this one closely!