Stalled UniQ-1 :: 11.2L mini-ITX - Uniquely Air-Cooled - Truely Silent - High Performance Case

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Are there any dual tower heatsinks that are spaced such that two of them could fit into eachother?

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Are there any dual tower heatsinks that are spaced such that two of them could fit into eachother?

I have tried looking and couldn't find any. For the most part, most dual tower are designed with having about 25-30mm gap in between to fit a standard thickness fan of 25mm. And most high end towers are around 50mm+ thickness per tower so nothing fits there. I spent quite a bit of time looking but couldn't find anything. That would be ideal for me, and the best way to go about is it still sticking a 25mm rad in between the gap. (V3).

But if you know of any, I'm all ears!

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Yeah, I've looked at this cooler and it looks interesting but I couldn't figure out how I want to go about it.

Fullereneshift

Case Bender
New User
Jan 27, 2019
The Silverstone HE01 uses a 38mm thick 140mm fan so there is at least that amount of room between each fin stack. One of the fin stacks being thinner than the middle fan makes it possible to fit two of them within each other, albeit with a reversed orientation.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=341

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
The Silverstone HE01 uses a 38mm thick 140mm fan so there is at least that amount of room between each fin stack. One of the fin stacks being thinner than the middle fan makes it possible to fit two of them within each other, albeit with a reversed orientation.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=341

Oh, my.. consider my mind blown!

I need to find some time to test this out. $80 a pop though and I'd still need some better nocuta fan. Probably 2x 140mm for front and back.

Thankj you so much!!

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
@neyurt Lovely design. How did you mount the d15 to the GPU if you don't mind me asking. I happen to have similar parts lying around and want to try it out.

If this case does go into production maybe the mount should be included.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
@neyurt Lovely design. How did you mount the d15 to the GPU if you don't mind me asking. I happen to have similar parts lying around and want to try it out.

If this case does go into production maybe the mount should be included.

Hey, checkout this pic
https://i.redd.it/ispjfnhqsbd21.png

I have the c-14s mounted there, but should work just as well with the d15 if you have the rtx series. The hole lines up well with the mounting kit from noctua .

If you have the anything else, you'd need to make some adjustments.

What GPU do you have? I'd be able to help better if I know which one.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Thanks @neyurt I have a 1080, a c14s and a u14. Did the mount change on the 20 series card?

Yep, the 1080 and 20s series have different mounting holes. So you'd need to be more creative if using a d15 with a 1080. You might be able to just drill holes into the mounting brackets so that it'll line up with the holes in the pcb. You just need to make sure the distance between the two screwe on the mounting bracket remain the same so they'll line up to the spring-loaded screws in the cooler that's used for mounting.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
I see, I have a 3d printer so Ill prob just print a new bracket out of a high temp material.

I'll share the results when I get my filament.

Reactions: neyurt

mcheddadi

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2019
Oh, my.. consider my mind blown!

I need to find some time to test this out. $80 a pop though and I'd still need some better nocuta fan. Probably 2x 140mm for front and back.

Thankj you so much!!

was 46$ on amazon.com. Bought two. now its 49$
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008N8GELA/?tag=theminutiae-20
I got a 1080ti kingpin and a 6700k on a z270i strix mobo with a sf450. might try it out if you don't hurry up ;) jk

Reactions: neyurt

mcheddadi

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2019
Thanks for the headsup!! I just ordered 2! : )

I need to find some time to play around with this setup again. My new job is kicking my ass : /
Damn, it jumped to 79$ lol. Thanks Amazon dynamic pricing!

You have no idea how interested I am in this setup idea you came up with. Its amazing. I'm looking at my Dan a4sfx case and while it's pretty nice with it's copper CPU and GPU cooler, I feel like your idea has way more potential for serious overlooking on air with a great compact form factor. I'm hooked.

mcheddadi

Cable Smoosher
Mar 13, 2019
could you make a render with the two tower cooler one in the other? that would be cool to help visualize, if you have a moment after your new job :p

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Damn, it jumped to 79$ lol. Thanks Amazon dynamic pricing!

You have no idea how interested I am in this setup idea you came up with. Its amazing. I'm looking at my Dan a4sfx case and while it's pretty nice with it's copper CPU and GPU cooler, I feel like your idea has way more potential for serious overlooking on air with a great compact form factor. I'm hooked.

I saw the price jump to $80 right after I placed my order! I'm so happy I got 2 for $50 each lol. Thanks man. Freaken amazon...

Here's a mock I just put together quickly for what I imagine it could be like (using a flex psu here for maximum compactness!.

https://photos.app.******/ukYJEMUQGNJESKGB6

Rough estimate of internal components: 7*7.2*9.5" =~ 8L