Stalled UniQ-1 :: 11.2L mini-ITX - Uniquely Air-Cooled - Truely Silent - High Performance Case

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Very rapid developmental pace so far! I can barely keep up, and all I have to do is read!! :) . This is most exciting, really pumped to see this coming together.

Speaking personally, the Dark Tower build is by far what captivates my interest the most, but the low vertical profile of the aio build is also tantalizing. Although, again only for me, aio's are a no-go due to the intent to use as a traveling PC. Some have taken their chances and gotten PC's with aio's past airport security, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take that risk.

Either way, keep up the fantastic work!

As I'm limited on time and resource I'm mostly trying to perfect the main enclosure that's 13" (330mm tall - for the dark tower build) enclosure first, which could be used for the mini/short GPUs layout. Once perfected I can probably just shrink down 2-3 inches for those who want to use smaller GPU but that's not the main design point right now.

And realistically, going with hybrid/smaller gpu only shave off about 50mm in height but in the long run you're limited to only using smaller GPU. And the taller enclosure also give you more versatility if you take into consideration of the T-sandwich addon kit.

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
Step 1: mock prototype
Step 2: local metal folding/cutting
Step 3: real CAD/metal sheet design by engineering firm (protocase, sliger, etcs) for a real production quality prototype

something like that.

(as it seems to be very pricey - $4-5000 estimate for engineering & first prototype unit).

mmm, dont think i will discourage you by discussing my current spend

Do you know CAD? I do most of my design work in CAD. saves a lot on prototypes . . .
buy some tools, do it yourself . .

Free cad or there is also Fusion 360.
I find freecad easier to use, but am now learnign the fusion.
there are tutorials on line for both, and both are free

Reactions: NinoPecorino

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
something like that.

mmm, dont think i will discourage you by discussing my current spend

Do you know CAD? I do most of my design work in CAD. saves a lot on prototypes . . .
buy some tools, do it yourself . .

Free cad or there is also Fusion 360.
I find freecad easier to use, but am now learnign the fusion.
there are tutorials on line for both, and both are free

I dont know any CAD tool but do plan to pick one up (fusion, solid works maybe). I have done some work in home renovation and I used the free sweethome3d tool for it. It just happen that it supports 3D object files (obj, sketchup, dae, etcs) so I've been able to use various available 3d models to render my concepts and with a few creative manipulations I've been able to "form" a few structures and objects I don't know anything about drawing from scratch with CAD tools. I can code (that's my day-job as an engineer), but it's not useful here, hah!

I've seen a few tutorial and it looks pretty intensive. Not sure if I'd trust myself enough to be able to draw up anything that's within manufacturing code (I'm sure there's a lot of consideration that I can't begin to imagine). When I think about paying engineering cost, I'm hoping to pay some firm to draw up actual sheet metal base on the layout/structure I have envisioned, but add all the flair/details that's needed for actual sheet metal manufacturing.

Also, I'm seriously considering getting a 3D printer. Something like a CR-10s to help with prototyping.

HZCH

Trash Compacter
Jul 21, 2018
Your project is really interesting! I'm following!

How the hell so you fix an NH-D15 or a Dark Rock Pro4 on a GPU?? I also got a Morpheus II slapped onto a GTX1080ti, but I've just removed it - it was 85C hot during stress test, with fans at 70%, and disassembling it, I discovered it was not making good contact with the GPU. I value silence, so putting back the original cooler was almost an instant regret... So I'm open to more experiments now...

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Your project is really interesting! I'm following!

How the hell so you fix an NH-D15 or a Dark Rock Pro4 on a GPU?? I also got a Morpheus II slapped onto a GTX1080ti, but I've just removed it - it was 85C hot during stress test, with fans at 70%, and disassembling it, I discovered it was not making good contact with the GPU. I value silence, so putting back the original cooler was almost an instant regret... So I'm open to more experiments now...
Check out my other post (in the build logs section) where I document all the experimental steps starting from the mounting of the nh-15 on the rtx 2080 ti.

The dark-rock pro 4 CAN be mounted both on the 1080/ti or rtx 2080 ti, but it takes more work as the pipes is way lower and there's less room to work with the mounting holes. I recommend the D15 as there's more room to fit your hand around the mounting holes to mount.

By the way, IF you own a non-blower style, one thing you can try is remove the stock shroud and those tiny fans but keep the stock cooler and use 1x 120mm noctua fans instead. You can use a fan adapter from gelid so you can still manage the noctua fan curve via the GPU temp.

Linus Tech TIp has done it years ago:

Gelid fan adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZKZEQA/?tag=theminutiae-20

n4ru

Cable Smoosher
Nov 7, 2016
I've got a 1080 Ti Mini coming and I would grab a smaller form factor case like this that could support it.

HZCH

Trash Compacter
Jul 21, 2018
Check out my other post (in the build logs section) where I document all the experimental steps starting from the mounting of the nh-15 on the rtx 2080 ti.

The dark-rock pro 4 CAN be mounted both on the 1080/ti or rtx 2080 ti, but it takes more work as the pipes is way lower and there's less room to work with the mounting holes. I recommend the D15 as there's more room to fit your hand around the mounting holes to mount.

By the way, IF you own a non-blower style, one thing you can try is remove the stock shroud and those tiny fans but keep the stock cooler and use 1x 120mm noctua fans instead. You can use a fan adapter from gelid so you can still manage the noctua fan curve via the GPU temp.

Linus Tech TIp has done it years ago:

Gelid fan adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZKZEQA/?tag=theminutiae-20
I was thinking about that, but I don't really know where to ziptie the fans... But the real issue is how do I plus the adapter in the 6-pin fan header ? It looks like there are actually 3 wires for pulse for each fan, but I don't know anything about wiring, so... I haven't been able to find actual informations yet.
I tried the secondary fan headers on the back of the case, but they plain suck.

Thanks for the heads up, will check !

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
I was thinking about that, but I don't really know where to ziptie the fans... But the real issue is how do I plus the adapter in the 6-pin fan header ? It looks like there are actually 3 wires for pulse for each fan, but I don't know anything about wiring, so... I haven't been able to find actual informations yet.
I tried the secondary fan headers on the back of the case, but they plain suck.

Thanks for the heads up, will check !

There's no 6 headers on the pcb of the GPU, just the regular 4, but smaller and that's why you need the adapter I linked. Zip-tie just be creative! You can just connect the 2 fans in the middel then use the holes to zip tie around the card, there are crevasses that you place the ziptie

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
Skimmed through all your testing. I saw the gpu was OCed, I assume the cpu was as well? Have you been able to test the v1 (2x nh-d15) yet? You think you'll even need/want the 2nd NH-d15 for the cpu? It looks like that c14s is kicking ass.

More excited about this concept than anything else on the spectrum.

Reactions: neyurt

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Skimmed through all your testing. I saw the gpu was OCed, I assume the cpu was as well? Have you been able to test the v1 (2x nh-d15) yet? You think you'll even need/want the 2nd NH-d15 for the cpu? It looks like that c14s is kicking ass.

More excited about this concept than anything else on the spectrum.

Thanks!

I don't think I'll test V1 as it'll increase the enclosure and rig size without much advantage to gain. The TDP of the CPU is 95 vs 250 for the GPU and the C14s is rated at 225w tdp. The CPU is not OC"ed at the moment just running stock speed.

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017
Thanks!

I don't think I'll test V1 as it'll increase the enclosure and rig size without much advantage to gain. The TDP of the CPU is 95 vs 250 for the GPU and the C14s is rated at 225w tdp. The CPU is not OC"ed at the moment just running stock speed.

Ah I see, thought it'd be cool to see as sort of a proof of concept. I know the 9900k shares the same tdp as the 8086k, but it's a very hot chip and people will definitely try to overclock it and push its limits in a sff case. Maybe the D15 could give it that extra edge in maintaining silent acoustics.

Either way I look forward to seeing how this progresses, the idea of these extreme coolers in such a small package blows mind.

Reactions: neyurt

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Ah I see, thought it'd be cool to see as sort of a proof of concept. I know the 9900k shares the same tdp as the 8086k, but it's a very hot chip and people will definitely try to overclock it and push its limits in a sff case. Maybe the D15 could give it that extra edge in maintaining silent acoustics.

Either way I look forward to seeing how this progresses, the idea of these extreme coolers in such a small package blows mind.

Yeah, it's definitely on the lower priority list since supporting dual d15 add a little over 2 inches in vertical height (roughly +2L) . I'm not sure if that's all that worth it. There's more things that I want work on and test like the modular T-sandwich add-on that I feel most people would find useful and that'd add more value to the case.

I'm also working on a way to modularize the sandwich division so you can prioritize more cooling for either the CPU or GPU

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Over the last few days as I'm building the prototypes I also thought about what would make sense for something like this case design to be a product and how I can possibly get it to the right people.

I think the people who are interested in my case are mostly modders like myself who dont mind a bit of DIY. So I think offering a flatpack/diy kit would be a good way to start once I get all the quirks figured out with this hybrid/metal prototype I'm building right now.

I think offering a flatpack/diy kit (much like geeek) would be cheaper option. And diy is always fun!

I think there's a high possibility that I'd be able to complete the flatpack assembly design with all the versatility in my concept renders (so both the stacked orientation and horizontal sandwich). That means it could be a very good case and platform for advanced PC builders/modders/DIYers who like to tinker with many different builds.

Let me know what you guys think. Id like to know how many people would prefer to buy the case as a flat pack diy product.

LegendsofMace

Average Stuffer
Oct 7, 2018
Over the last few days as I'm building the prototypes I also thought about what would make sense for something like this case design to be a product and how I can possibly get it to the right people.

I think the people who are interested in my case are mostly modders like myself who dont mind a bit of DIY. So I think offering a flatpack/diy kit would be a good way to start once I get all the quirks figured out with this hybrid/metal prototype I'm building right now.

I think offering a flatpack/diy kit (much like geeek) would be cheaper option. And diy is always fun!

I think there's a high possibility that I'd be able to complete the flatpack assembly design with all the versatility in my concept renders (so both the stacked orientation and horizontal sandwich). That means it could be a very good case and platform for advanced PC builders/modders/DIYers who like to tinker with many different builds.

Let me know what you guys think. Id like to know how many people would prefer to buy the case as a flat pack diy product.
Going modular would be awesome. Having such a SFF build able to be played around with in many different layouts would definitely set it apart from other cases. I would for sure love to get a diy kit of your finished product.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Fantastic idea, totally support. You're spot-on with your rationale and your evaluation of your target market, methinks.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Yeah, I got some idea from looking at @aquelito 's posts on his recent posts. Without knowing it, I was already making my own wooden cube standoff in my builsd (could be seen in the pics). It's awesome that there's already something that exists

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates . I've been racking my head this past week on how I'd go about building a "better" and more professional looking prototype to better showcase my modular design concept. I think the makerbeam kit is probably the best platform for me to do this. ( Even geeek cases are using T-slot beams, I can't confirm if it's makerbeam).

I think T-slot extrusion gives a lot of flexibility for me to execute some of things I have planned

I have ordered some makerbeam stuffs and when I get something to show case I'll make an update.

Side note: does anyone know any good cnc/laser cutting service in the US? I want to make a few panels for this prototype.

Last edited:

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Hello guys,

I just started a new job so progress staggered quite a bit. The last week or so I was trying to wrap up another build just so I have a semi-permanent PC to use while I toy around with this project.

(build log: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/diy-sff-case-air-cooled-i7-8086k-rtx-2080-ti.10168/ )

But regarding this project, I played around a bit with the Protrusion T-slot build and I've made some progress, nothing I'm comfortable with enough to share at the moment since it's still a work in progress.

Just to reflect on this project a bit, I feel like where I am now is still far away from realizing an actual product that can be delivered to the masses. There's a lot of small details that I feel is only suitable for diy enthusiast, something that's hard to make easy for everyone. (Like VRM cooling, custom mounting of the coolers to GPU, etcs. ) These things are somewhat easy to deal with for an one-off project, but the challenge is to make the process repeatable for everyone else.

That being said, I do want to continue playing around with this build as I believe it's my end-game, and would love to pave the way for others who are interested. But do expect progress to slow down a bit as I need to focus on my new day-job ( can't buy new toys without $$ - hah!)