Cooling Top Down Cooler Shootout?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Kinda curious: anyone here ever considered making/owning a CPU cooler heater test setup? Something like what Overclockers and Anandtech does?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Pretty sure Noctua had a couple of these units at their booth at Computex and they didn't really look custom engineered.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think he means units like those on the right in this photo:

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Ah dangit, the t318 cooler would make such a sweet package in the case, sadly it needs to have everything below the level of the heatspreader. Sadly the caps are higher so it wont touch the cpu :/

I guess this would have awesome performance

Reactions: Julio Espinosa

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
SPCR used to use a heater, but went back to a real CPU because they realized subtle things like the way a concave or convex heatsink base interacts with the IHS affects the results.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
SPCR used to use a heater, but went back to a real CPU because they realized subtle things like the way a concave or convex heatsink base interacts with the IHS affects the results.
i saw that the IHS of my i7 6700k is concave, and it is concave quite a lot.
is this intended by Intel ?
Because i was about to grind it flat

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Perfect timing! I'm looking at rebuilding my ITX system probably this next weekend. If I wanted one, a new cooler could probably come in within a week. ;)

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Just thought I'd pop in with a friendly "we're still very interested". I know something like this is a BIG endeavor, and finding the time is probably easier said than done. I'm really curious to see the l9i vs ar05 part of the shootout, as well as if fan direction has an impact! This is still in the works?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah, I am planning to do the rest of the testing on Friday if all goes well (got my motherboard this past Friday and reassembled my test bench this weekend). I will be most likely contributing my findings and the article as a guest contributor for smallformfactor.net

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So I'm going to be delaying this piece further due to unsatisfactory results. Because AsRock smashed the M.2 slot on my Z270 Fatal1ty while it was in for RMA (leading me to send it in a second time), I decided just to do the tests on my Z270i Strix. I really didn't want to do the shootout on this board because of the heatsink situation around the board as well as the fact that I have rather tall (TridentZ) RAM.

I ran on the Mini-OBT sent to me by @Trouffman, with testing done using AIDA64 with both CPU and CPU/FPU stress test enabled. The higher end heatsinks (LP53, IS40-V3, L9i) were all in the high eighty to low ninety degree Celsius range when running both stress tests and most of the smaller heat sinks I ran failed entirely unless running the CPU only stress test. Anyone care to comment on their experiences using coolers on the Strix board versus other boards and whether these results seem appropriate? Also I am aware that I can remove one of the heatsinks, I just don't want to bother unless it will somehow magically lower temps by ten degrees. Also the ambient temperature was between 23 and 25 C throughout testing.

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Anyone care to comment on their experiences using coolers on the Strix board versus other boards and whether these results seem appropriate? Also I am aware that I can remove one of the heatsinks, I just don't want to bother unless it will somehow magically lower temps by ten degrees. Also the ambient temperature was between 23 and 25 C throughout testing.
What app do you use to m3asure temps?

I tested a lot of coolers last month and could compare against my z270i

P.s. I would strongly advise against removing the mosfet heatsink. Even with the heatsink, under cpu tests, this heatsink is "on fire", so removing it could damage the mosfets

Reactions: AleksandarK