Cooling Looking for a top-tier cpu air cooler that will fit

sealard

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 23, 2019
I have an ASRock Z390M-ITX/AC board and it currently has stocker intel 115x cooler. I would like to upgrade to Noctua but I don't think it will work.

Can anyone advise me on the highest performing air cooler that will fit?

I have close to zero clearance on two sides as shown in the picture below, over ram and to the top. For reference I believe that intel coolers are 95mm x 95mm and that it a 120mm fan shown. Height can be an absolute maximum of 165mm, impacting case side panel.

Last edited:

sealard

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 23, 2019
Funny. The smaller noctua coolers (U9S and D9L) won't work because while they conform to the intel 95mm size, they are much taller and I have a little overhang on the ram. They would touch and there would be some pressure on the heatsink.

I'm actually thinking I can do something else with that 3.5" disk and could squeeze either a U12S or even a U14S. This works because they scallop one side, while the 90mm ones are square.

If I go this route I have to position the fan on the left which is not ideal. I am left with either having cpu cooler in a pull configuration (already have two 120mm fans in the front pulling air from outside) or have it in a push config, but pushing against all the other air in the case. (that 120mm fan in the back is exhaust). Any ideas on this?

Last edited:

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
TS 120i?

TS 140 BW Rev. A?

Mounting mechanism also allows a tiny (I means few mm absolute max) bit off-centre placement. You might not need a fan on the cooler at all if the chip isn't a hot one.

Last edited:

sealard

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 23, 2019
The off centre mounting of the TS140 is cool. Can be 69mm clearance!

And I definitely need active cooling.

Smanci

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2017
Forgot the Macho 120 Rev. B. Measure everything twice in any case - this socket location should be banned by some regulation.

Last edited:

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
I have an ASRock Z390M-ITX/AC board and it currently has stocker intel 115x cooler. I would like to upgrade to Noctua but I don't think it will work.

Can anyone advise me on the highest performing air cooler that will fit?

I have close to zero clearance on two sides as shown in the picture below, over ram and to the top. For reference I believe that intel coolers are 95mm x 95mm and that it a 120mm fan shown. Height can be an absolute maximum of 165mm, impacting case side panel.

When I saw this photo I immediately thought of the noctua NH-D9L cpu cooler. I used that cooler in one of my Apple G4 Cube hacks. Note that I also modded the cooler as it was too wide for my application (see the details here; https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/a-skylake-cube.197843/ and the cooler specs here: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d9l/specification ). And in that system I was dealing with a low power cpu.

Then in my current project ( see https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...air-cooled-abs-prototype-mini-itx-case.10495/ ) I am again using the NH-D9L on a i9-9900K on a ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac with great success in a three fan configuration where I control the air flow path with a tunnel shroud.

Anyway my view is that you can mod components as needed. I call it "doing it my way" and hurry on to the next integration problem.

Neil

sealard

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 23, 2019
I just noticed that the Noctua U12A is slightly off-centre as well. Can anyone find a schematic similar to the above showing how far from the centre the fans sit?

Edit: Found schematic seconds after posting...