Cooling AXP90

jlee0665

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Hey guys, first time poster. I've been a lurker for a while. I've been having trouble getting my cooling configuration sorted and figured now is the time to ask!

I'm have a Thermalright AXP90 Copper cooling a 3700X in a Dan A4. The problem is that the turbulence created by having a 47mm cooler in a case with 48mm clearance is driving me nuts (even with a Noctua fan swap). I have owned both the L9i and L9a in the past, but never tried putting a fan shroud on them as has been recommended by many kind people on this forum. Before I go and spend another $60 on a heatsink and a pre-fabricated fan shroud, I wanted to know if anyone else has "downgraded" from a 47mm cooler to the L9i/L9a with a fan shroud and can comment on the acoustics.

Thank you!

jlee0665

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
Whoops, I was writing a thread title and literally got as far as AXP90 before fat fingering it and hitting enter. Sorry about that!

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
there's a youtube video from Linus Tech Tips, where he solves this problem, by sanding down the fan 1 or 2 mm.

i can provide a link, if you want.

Reactions: jlee0665

jlee0665

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
there's a youtube video from Linus Tech Tips, where he solves this problem, by sanding down the fan 1 or 2 mm.

i can provide a link, if you want.

Please do! I'm on his channel now and can't seem to figure out what video you're referencing.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Please do! I'm on his channel now and can't seem to figure out what video you're referencing.

if you sand your fan down 1- 2 mm, like Linus Tech Tips, it will still work fine.

and your noise problem will be solved.

here is the link :

jlee0665

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
if you sand your fan down 1- 2 mm, like Linus Tech Tips, it will still work fine.

and your noise problem will be solved.

here is the link :

So I watched the video and it seems like Linus shaved down the fan in order to get it to fit into the case. The modification he performed did not fix the noise issue.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
So I watched the video and it seems like Linus shaved down the fan in order to get it to fit into the case. The modification he performed did not fix the noise issue.

you're overthinking this, & i'm trying to help you.

don't overthink.

the noise is because your fan is too close to the sidepanel.

so if you sanded your fan down 1- 2 mm, then it wouldn't be too close anymore.

problem solved.

jlee0665

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 11, 2020
you're overthinking this, & i'm trying to help you.

don't overthink.

the noise is because your fan is too close to the sidepanel.

so if you sanded your fan down 1- 2 mm, then it wouldn't be too close anymore.

problem solved.

I appreciate your input, but you said Linus sanded down the fan to reduce noise which is not what happened. I'm unsure how sanding down the frame of the fan will help my situation as doing so does not move the actual blades further away from the side panel.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
I appreciate your input, but you said Linus sanded down the fan to reduce noise which is not what happened. I'm unsure how sanding down the frame of the fan will help my situation as doing so does not move the actual blades further away from the side panel.

you could also sand down another part of your cooler 1- 2 mm, if you don't want to sand the fan.

if you sand down a 47mm cooler, so its 45mm, then there will be a 3mm airgap.

a 3mm airgap will greatly reduce noise, from being too close to the sidepanel.

i'm making perfect sense.

nutsforalmonds

Efficiency Noob
May 16, 2020
Perhaps something like a fan gasket that would force a slightly bigger gap between the fan and panel?

It's 2.5mm thick, your side panel might slightly bulge, but I'm guessing it would be worth it?

I think the gentleman above is saying you could sand down the side of the fan that rests against the heatsink, to bring the bearing housing slightly closer to it and therefore increase the space between it and the side panel. Not sure if you even have 1mm to spare in clearance between the housing and heatsink, though.

Last edited:

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
A Gasket or a 3d printed shroud would probably solve your problem. Are you running your axp90 in intake or exhaust mode? I've got an axp90 that I haven't gotten around to using yet, what are your temps like?

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
You could consider laser cutting an acrylic side panel with your own fan cutout. I did that with my axp90 and Dan case A4 (before I sold it). I'm still using the axp90 with a 120mm fan. Another option would be to use some standoffs on the side panel (not sure if that's actually possible)