Cooling Top Down Cooler Shootout?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If anyone can point me to a US distributor that is selling one I'll order it.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I feel like the ultimate review/resource would be a google spreadsheet that is updateable, and with links to the models of the motherboards and coolers and cases so you can test any setup your heart desires. (+instructions on how to do it)

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Imagine a HTML5 webapp that handles all of the data though. Like PCPartPicker plus those CPU/part comparison websites.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I feel like the ultimate review/resource would be a google spreadsheet that is updateable, and with links to the models of the motherboards and coolers and cases so you can test any setup your heart desires. (+instructions on how to do it)

I have no issues providing all of my data and methods for this once I've done my tests. As far as actually doing the spreadsheet, I have no idea what I'm doing with spreadsheets so someone else would probably need to take the lead on getting this started. Also with respect to doing a review using the Thermalright AXP-100, if this piece is popular I will probably try to do another that covers 50mm-70mm coolers as a separate class. This one will essentially be sub-50mm with the one exception being the LP53 with its stock fan (I will also run it with the Noctua 14mm in this test for a more direct comparison to the L9i). Unfortunately the Samuel 17 won't make it into this test as I apparently sold it and then forgot about it.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
@Kmpkt
I can make one :D
And make a questionnaire for other people to fill it etc. if needed.
But that is as far as I can go.

But like @VegetableStu noted. an html5 webapp that uses that data, and would maybe provide a top down heatsink/mobo overlap view would be insane.

Reactions: VegetableStu

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016

This is my current tested list. I have a few not on here but I haven't had much time in the last couple of months to finalize reviews.

For those asking about the Jonsbo HP-400, you can see it's about in line with the Phanteks PH-TC90LS. It's not bad, just the IS-40 v3 is much better. Temps listed are Delta above Ambient FYI.

Just curious, does anyone remember seeing a video or reading an article explaining that:
Before Haswell, there was a linear correlation of 1:1 - whereby the increase of 1 degree Ambient results in 1 degree CPU temp increase - but with Haswell and newer the correlation is greater, where 1 degree greater ambient could result in 1.1 or more degree increase in CPU temp? I thought it was Gamers Nexus but I can't find the video now. In the video or article they approached someone who was a PhD student in thermodynamics or something, and had actually tested and validated the data.

edit: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-Ambient-Temperatures-Affect-Your-PC-158/

Found this article but it wasn't the one I was looking for.

Last edited:

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
I had written down some stuff i wanted to try out next, maybe you thought about them allready?

Cooltek itx30.
Cooltek LP53.
Zalman CNPS2X, With the scythe slim fan on it.
Inter-tech 88885216 T-318 1HE, with any fan on it.
Titan ttc-nc25/HS.
Noctua NF-A9x14 Fan

I just reviewed some gpus and wanted to review some cpu cooler next, but will gladly wait until you finished your test.

I did include audio recordings and db measurements into my review, but have to wrap it all up nicely in the next days.

I think recordings would be nice to have of those cpu coolers you are testing, especially if you review has many of them it would benefit the readers ;)

Thanks
Kmpkt, any opinion on those?
You be Ok if i do another review of some other LP cpu coolers? :-)

------

Last edited:

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
I just shipped my ITX30 to Kmpkt to add to the testing pile, hopefully not too much more than a week transit plus customs.

Reactions: Broxin

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah huge thanks to @Stevo_ for shipping me the ITX30. I will add it to the mix and plan to start testing as soon as I have it. I also managed to get my hands on the non-copper cored Intel cooler which I believe brings the total cooler count up to 13. The Jonsbo is just too inconvenient and expensive to get at this point. If I thought it was going to be a top performer I'd probably get it, but from what I've seen I expect it to be very mid pack.

Kmpkt, any opinion on those?
You be Ok if i do another review of some other LP cpu coolers? :-)

@Broxin - Please by all means go ahead and do your reviews. It'll give the community more data and will help validate my own results if there is consistency. Will be super stoked to see your results.

Reactions: Broxin

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
New list looks like this. Also I am planning on a 20 minute Prime95 Blender test run for each heatsink. If anyone can suggest a better testing methodology or software (? AIDA64 ?), I'm all ears.

- Intel Stock Cooler w/ copper core
- Intel Stock Cooler w/o copper core
- Noctua L9i
- Thermolab LP53 (would test with NF-A9x14)
- Thermolab !TX 30
- Cryorig C7
- Zalman CNPS2X
- Scythe Kozuti
- Arctic CP11
- Silverstone AR05
- ID Cooling IS40 V3
- Deepcool HTPC 200 Aluminum (80mm)
- Deepcool HTPC 200 All Copper (80mm)

Last edited:

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Pretty long list so I hope I'm not asking to much, but i think having the silverstone ar05 in the mix would be really valuable. The l9i seems to be the reigning champ in it's height bracket for both sound+temps. The ar05 is a direct competitor at the same height and similar price. There seems to be no head to head that I can find so it'd be nice so see them face off for the 37mm king. From what I can tell the noctua fan is a beast, but the ar05 heatpipes contacting the ihs might sway the temps in the ar05's favor. Would be interesting to see and I imagine others would potentially be interested in it as well.

Reactions: zovc and Broxin

Fanando

Case Bender
Jul 20, 2017

This is my current tested list. I have a few not on here but I haven't had much time in the last couple of months to finalize reviews.

For those asking about the Jonsbo HP-400, you can see it's about in line with the Phanteks PH-TC90LS. It's not bad, just the IS-40 v3 is much better. Temps listed are Delta above Ambient FYI.

Just curious, does anyone remember seeing a video or reading an article explaining that:
Before Haswell, there was a linear correlation of 1:1 - whereby the increase of 1 degree Ambient results in 1 degree CPU temp increase - but with Haswell and newer the correlation is greater, where 1 degree greater ambient could result in 1.1 or more degree increase in CPU temp? I thought it was Gamers Nexus but I can't find the video now. In the video or article they approached someone who was a PhD student in thermodynamics or something, and had actually tested and validated the data.

edit: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-Ambient-Temperatures-Affect-Your-PC-158/

Found this article but it wasn't the one I was looking for.

Is the SoPlay SP-4L compatible with AM4? Their Taobao page just says "All AMD CPUs" but I want to be absolutely sure before I order one. I'm planning an AM4 build in the Node 202 and if the performance of the SP-4L is as great as your data says then I won't have to go and mod a Big Shuriken 2 to keep the 1700 cool.

Fanando

Case Bender
Jul 20, 2017
Ah, that kinda blows. Do you have any personal recommendations on a good cooler for the Asrock X370 ITX in a Node 202? A bit of modding wouldn't be any trouble at all as long as the temps are good. I'm more worried about the reviews on other X370/B350 itx boards that mention high vrm temps. I recently saw this build and since the AXP-100R has gone out of production that build is probably my best bet for good temps without heavy modding afaik.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Pretty long list so I hope I'm not asking to much, but i think having the silverstone ar05 in the mix would be really valuable. The l9i seems to be the reigning champ in it's height bracket for both sound+temps. The ar05 is a direct competitor at the same height and similar price. There seems to be no head to head that I can find so it'd be nice so see them face off for the 37mm king. From what I can tell the noctua fan is a beast, but the ar05 heatpipes contacting the ihs might sway the temps in the ar05's favor. Would be interesting to see and I imagine others would potentially be interested in it as well.

The AR05 is in there, I mistakenly typed AR06 which is too tall for my inclusion criteria.

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
You guys konw of an adapter to adapt a lga2011 cooler to a 1151 socket (if such thing even exists)