Too long PSU cables?

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Hello and thanks. Since I can't find a low watt. ( up to 300) modular SFX psu and the cabling on my Rosewill AL8250 SFX is much too long, I am thinking of cut/splice/heatshrink my psu cabling! In the army we were taught the Western Union splice. I would use that stlye. Any reason I shouldn't do this? Also, Do higher wattage SFX PSU's (let's say 450w in this case) necessarily create more heat, even though it's unlikely I would ever need even the 450 watts? I believe it's CORSAIR that has capacitors built into their cables. Any opinions out there on those? Thanks, dinosoar...landing.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
What is this PSU powering? That AL8250 is a very low-end model using a very old design (still has a input voltage switch) so it's probably a good idea to replace it with something better.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone shorten and splice PSU cables before. It'd probably be difficult since the wires are thin and stranded but I suppose it's doable. It'd be better to shorten the cables and crimp new terminals on the ends but that does require an investment in the tools and parts to do so.

There's this common misconception that having a PSU that is much higher in wattage than you need is just so bad for noise and heat because you're not in the sweet spot of the efficiency curve. But that's not always true, the SF450 and SF600 have almost identical efficiency curves up to 450W. Pretty much any modern SFX unit that's at least 80 PLUS Bronze-rated would be far more efficient than that AL-8250 anyway.

Some of the ATX Corsair units have inline capacitors in the cables, the SF-series do not.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks again. What is/are the distinct disadvantage of a SMPS? Aren't they used somewhat widely in Hi-Fi? Since my wattage needs are small, perhaps a solid state (brick) psu might be a better choice? There isn't a transformer, eliminating moving part noise. The PSU is apparently one item where price should not be spared. Taday's market offers no low watt SFX modular psu's. I can imagine Why. I'm open to suggestions. I was just trying to eliminate a wiring bundle. This 1st build is: Athlon Ii x2 250, Zotac 880g itx, S'Stone ML05, 2 case fans, cpu cooler & psu undecided. It's just a smorgasboard, I mean surfbord. No game,office, etc. This is on the job training for me, so to speak. Thank You.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Pretty much everything is still SMPS, but modern designs have active PFC and can automatically handle different input voltages. So if you see a PSU with an input voltage selector you know it's an older design. Of course there were quality PSUs that were made before active PFC became standard, but something like the AL-8250 is not one of them.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
I'm curious why encapsulated transistor psu's are not more prevalent. Cost? If someone is aware of a 200-300w sfx modular psu I will buy it. Power is one part in a pc where you shouldn't skimp. My village architect is a stereo buff. He is willing to upgrade (if possible) my working supply, but there are still all those wires. Maybe Hi Watt juice sucking heat pump psu's are on the wane? GPU circuits are changing as well as BIG improvements in O.E cpu & board graphics. You know, I like a twin cam 2300 eco boost mustang. I also like a 302 Camaro with a four barrel. New technology is like sex and credit...some get it, some don't.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Trying to upgrade the components in your current PSU would be a waste of time.

Having a higher wattage PSU than your system draws isn't necessarily that much of a problem. A modern 1200W would be operating far from the peak of its efficiency curve in your system, but it'd still be running more efficiently than what you have now so it'd output less heat.

Probably the cheapest and easiest option would be to get something like the SilverStone ST30SF v1 or v2 and just chop off the cables you don't need.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
To anyone interested... I discovered a vendor: RamTechnologies LLC (Connecticut). They make and sell a 175w and 200w SFX psu offering various installed cable lengths. Non-modular with patented Ultra cap based UPS. The aforementioned AL8250SFX was never even my mean choice. It happened to be included with the case purchase. I had no idea of it's heritage, being a novice and all. However it did perform without flaw for years per the previous owner. Caveat emptor...this is a medical spec piece of equipment. It may outlast your gym shoes. Remember...no skimping on PSU. dinosoar drink water, spit fire. It's a car, it's a plane.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Dimensions on those are unusual, so double-check that. I'd be curious what the price is, if it'd cost more than the Corsair SF450 + custom cables then it's not worth it.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
The dim. are std. This "medical" psu is $300.00 incl. custom cabling may be worth it. I now see why this ML05 case was less than half price of a new one and why he threw in the sfx psu as well. No offense to the reviewer in spcr, but it is impractical. The HDD bracket sits on top of the cpu cooler blocking air. SilverStone used precious interior space for a sfx psu inside. During and after wiring install, there isn't room for the 2 case fans. Please, read the review before considering. As a novice 1st time builder, I moved too quickly. I just wanted something small. I will make something of it, but it is now a rooster wearing a sweatsock.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The SFX spec encompasses several different variations, but the dimensions of modern consumer SFX power supplies are 63.5mm x 125mm x 100mm (H x W x D).

The PFC200SFX is 80mm x 121.9mm x 148.3mm and the PFC175SFX is 63.5mm x 124.5mm x 148.3mm.

If you remove the drive cage either should fit for depth, but you may have to modify the case to get the 200W to fit due to the increased height of the PSU compared to "normal" SFX. Also, you may want to inquire on fan noise if that is a concern. They're not very efficient and reliability is a priority so I wouldn't be surprised if they're pretty noisy despite the low wattage.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks for your research Mr. Aiboh. I was up on the dim's., not on the eff. & noise. I'm surprised about the latter considering the environmental usage. I am (fairly) confident that solid state encapsulated transistor psu will be for me. Once the 4 bay SSD tray is out, there will be room for the brick inside. I believe it's OK to mount the brick in the case. Much obliged.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Aiboh... . You are way smarter than me & you like to let it t be Known. Did you build a psu yourself?
I

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh no, I'm really not that knowledgeable about power supplies, in particular the actual electronics.

dinosoar

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks again. Sarcasm & Irony will always show up in a forum administrator's comments. In particular, when a novice is seeking an answer.