Power Supply Can I cut some of the SATA cables on the SST-FX500-G to get rid of the spider web of cables

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 19, 2021
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have a K39 and a SST-FX500-G. Was wondering if I can cut the SATA and 4 pin cable coming out the PSU. Its not modular and I dont want to open the PSU so I thought I would cut the SATA cable and the 4 pin connector and wrap it off with some electrical tape. Any problems if I do this. K39 is quite cramped so I wanted to get some cables out of the way for hopefully better airflow. I know this kills the resale and warranty etc.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I would use Shrink Wrap for the cut wires, but yes. You can cut the unneeded cables. You might want to color coat them/label them in case you ever need to re-attach them.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 19, 2021
thanks everybody. Didnt know about heat shrinking it, seems better than electrical tape!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
thanks everybody. Didnt know about heat shrinking it, seems better than electrical tape!
Yeah, electrical tape inevitably comes loose, and is poorly suited to covering the ends of cut wires. Heatshrink does this very well, and is cheap and easy to use. I've done this to non-modular PSUs earlier, as well as to superfluous connectors on long modular cable chains. A dab of hot glue like @Phuncz mentioned can also work, though it's messier. There's also liquid electrical tape (which is...some sort of insulating rubber paint I guess?) which is both clean looking and well suited to the task, but it's a mess to work with.

Reactions: Phuncz