Log Thoughts on prospective first SFF build? Ncase M1, 3950X, 2080Ti, 64gb RAM

siegmattel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
www.siegmattelvisuals.com
Hey all,

Been doing research on SFF for a few months in preparation for this build. My Ncase M1 finally came in the mail last weekend so I've been starting to actually order parts. So far, I have the case, a 2080 Ti Founder's Edition, and a Ryzen 9 3950X. This is not only my first SFF build but it's my first PC build, so I've been trying to do as much research as possible and really scrutinize every decision to make sure I do this well. Most of the other parts are on backorder, but I'm thinking:
  • Motherboard: either the ASUS ROG Strix x570-I or Gigabyte AORUS x570-I. Leaning ASUS. Looking like I need the x570 chipset to handle 64gb RAM. Motherboard is on backorder but looking like it will be available in a few weeks so just trying to be patient.
  • RAM: 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3600 with CAS16 latency. Everything that fits this is on backorder right now but I think the performance difference of this combo vs compromising for 3200 or CAS18 is worth the wait, especially since I have to wait on mobo anyways.
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S. PCPartPicker has warned me that it may need an adapter with the motherboard - has anyone done a similar build that can comment?
  • PSU: Corsair SF 600W 80+ looks like a solid option
  • Fans: Will probably just grab 2-4 Noctua fans that fit the case requirements. Need to do more research on case fans before making a decision.
Full build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LNBzL2

I plan on mainly using this for Visual Jockeying and rendering, mainly:
  • real-time glsl pixel shaders, with the hopes of being able to handle 4k 60fps (I run these in a software called Synesthesia)
  • Unreal Engine 5
  • Houdini Indie
  • Adobe After Effects
  • Blender
  • Resolume Arena 7 (VJ software)
  • Potentially TouchDesigner (VJ/real-time graphics software)
Open to any and all feedback/critiques/suggestions on this build. I have the funds to do a build that may be a bit of overkill in terms of performance, but my hopes are to build something that will be future-proof so, other than small upgrades, I can use this build for several years before having to do a major overhaul.

ghop

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Hi. I am currently in the process of a build in the Ncase M1 as well. I've spent a great deal of time researching and learning.

I have learned that the U9S is not the best cooler for this case. Better off with the C14S. There is plenty of data to back this up.

I suggest the Asus motherboard over the Gigabyte as price comes second to quality.

I suggest the Corsair SF750 (750 watt) for your 3950X and 2080 TI.

This setup will require a total of six fans. The cooler will come with one already. Then two 120mm standard fans, two 120mm slim fans, and one 92mm fan. I suggest Noctua A12x15 PWM, A12x25 PWM, and A9x14 PWM.

lowkey

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
ghop is right.

But will this config run at full speed? Heat + powerlimit might be a problem? Its like the most expensive laptop which will throttle down after a few seconds in heavy load.

ryanakata

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 4, 2020
I have learned that the U9S is not the best cooler for this case. Better off with the C14S. There is plenty of data to back this up.

By no means am I saying you are wrong, but I'm looking for the data on that. I literally just completed my N1 build last week with a U9S and thought it helped direct heat out toward the back.

RobBobbins

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2020
By no means am I saying you are wrong, but I'm looking for the data on that. I literally just completed my N1 build last week with a U9S and thought it helped direct heat out toward the back.

there are many threads on various forums comparing the those two coolers (U9S // C14S)

As for the U9S, I think a popular way to mount it as intake and a 120mm fan on the side bracket as exhaust.

ghop

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
I don't know about this boards policy on linking to other SFF communities. So just google "C14S vs C14 vs U9S Results" and there is a post by M1AF that compiled some data on cooling options for the Ncase. He has a spreadsheet with a variety of coolers and fan setups.

siegmattel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
I don't know about this boards policy on linking to other SFF communities. So just google "C14S vs C14 vs U9S Results" and there is a post by M1AF that compiled some data on cooling options for the Ncase. He has a spreadsheet with a variety of coolers and fan setups.

Yeah, to echo ghop, I actually saw a really impressive m1 build yesterday on reddit using the C14S. Seems to be the way to go. I'm also thinking the 750W is a good idea. I appreciate the recommendations on the case cooler :)

Two remaining questions I have:
1. for motherboard, I've seen a lot of people go with the asus crosshair VIII. I can't really find any compelling reason to justify the extra price and tighter fit (since I'd be venturing into DTX territory at that point), but I must be missing something, because a LOT of completed builds seem to favor it. Why is that? Does using a DTX mobo get me additional features that I'm not realizing? Or is the crosshair overkill?
2. I'm a bit torn on CPU cooler -- if I do air cooling, I will definitely go for the C14S, as my research yesterday definitely sold me on the fact that it's the better solution for this type of build. However, I am expecting to be using this for a lot of real-time graphics and rendering, sometimes at outdoor festivals where my computer's cooling will have the additional threat of summer heat. With this added context, would an AIO solution make more sense? I worry that air cooling might not be enough to counter 90+ degree Fahrenheit summer temperatures.

siegmattel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
This setup will require a total of six fans. The cooler will come with one already. Then two 120mm standard fans, two 120mm slim fans, and one 92mm fan. I suggest Noctua A12x15 PWM, A12x25 PWM, and A9x14 PWM.

Also, considering my 2080 ti Founder's comes with two fans, would that rule out two of the 120mm Noctua fans? or would I still need six fans in addition to the two on my gpu?

ghop

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
1. My guess is most AMD builders who use the DTX board on the Ncase want the USB C Type E header for the front USB C I/O. The current ITX boards don't have that feature. Some of the upcoming B550 ITX boards will have the Type E header if you can wait for them to be released.

2. There is simply no question that liquid cooling is superior and would be better for the use case you described. I personally chose air cooling for my build because I intend to travel by air with the Ncase as carry on luggage. I don't wan't to deal with the potential hassle of airport security.

ghop

Trash Compacter
May 26, 2020
Also, considering my 2080 ti Founder's comes with two fans, would that rule out two of the 120mm Noctua fans? or would I still need six fans in addition to the two on my gpu?
Assuming the card is exactly 2 slots deep - or less than 42 mm thick, you will have quite a large gap at the bottom of the case. Large enough to fit two 25 mm thick fans. Since this is a 3950X + Ti build, I imagine you'd want to cram as many fans as you can in there.

siegmattel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
1. My guess is most AMD builders who use the DTX board on the Ncase want the USB C Type E header for the front USB C I/O. The current ITX boards don't have that feature. Some of the upcoming B550 ITX boards will have the Type E header if you can wait for them to be released.

2. There is simply no question that liquid cooling is superior and would be better for the use case you described. I personally chose air cooling for my build because I intend to travel by air with the Ncase as carry on luggage. I don't wan't to deal with the potential hassle of airport security.

Ah gotcha, I don't care enough about a USB C Type E header to do a DTX board or wait for the B550s to be released. In terms of liquid cooling, okay, I was kind of assuming that would be the case. Looks like I need to do some research on 240mm AIOs then! Really appreciate the help :)