Things I Wish Manufacturers Would Stop Doing

Solo

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
This is just for fun but also kind of serious.

1. Putting stickers on everything. Stop making me put in like 600 years of work removing your bitch ass labels just to make my machine look presentable.
2. 1000ft long cables on fans attached to heatsinks intended for SFF use. Bro, the fan header is directly next to the heatsink. It's literally right there.

Idk these were on my mind at this moment. Maybe I'll add more later when my brain is functioning. You can post your own if you want too. I'm curious to know what everyone's' pet peeves are.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
This is just for fun but also kind of serious.

1. Putting stickers on everything. Stop making me put in like 600 years of work removing your bitch ass labels just to make my machine look presentable.
2. 1000ft long cables on fans attached to heatsinks intended for SFF use. Bro, the fan header is directly next to the heatsink. It's literally right there.

Idk these were on my mind at this moment. Maybe I'll add more later when my brain is functioning. You can post your own if you want too. I'm curious to know what everyone's' pet peeves are.

I agree with number one, I wanted to remove the sticker from Chieftec psu, and it went off relatively easily, but left a thick sticky mess which took at least hour or two to remove, I had to use a LOT of acetone, and even sandpaper lol. I was beyond frustrated after that "experience".

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
LEDs, RGB, stickers, heatsinks and shrouds that could be the outcome of a Threesome between Optimus Prime, Thanos and He-Man.

One of the reasons I ended up here was that 99% of the cases on the market embraced that optimus prime "gamer" aesthetics. Don't get me wrong, I also thought that was THE shit, but that was when I had 14 years lol

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
A) 2 or 3 unneeded graphics ports on enthusiast tier motherboard I/O that will never be used? Is there really enough people out there really going to ever use iGPU on a $250 MSRP motherboard to drive 3x displays?

B) AIO fans. They're almost universally poor. They're almost always loud, and generally don't move air that well either. Why include such a poor product, when it makes NZXT or Corsair etc look bad and like knuckleheads that they cannot makes fans as good as Nidec with their decade-old GTs NVM Noctua?

C) Aforementioned LED rainbow puke...at least these days it can generally be controlled and turned off.

D) Plexiglass sidepanels....they're at least generally gone, although GEEEEK still loves them.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
A) 2 or 3 unneeded graphics ports on enthusiast tier motherboard I/O that will never be used? Is there really enough people out there really going to ever use iGPU on a $250 MSRP motherboard to drive 3x displays?

Perhaps those unneeded ports are more meant to serve a marketing/sales purpose more than a functional one?

Anyway, I have used those ports in the past under 1 specific circumstance, ie when I needed to pin down a display card related problem. It allowed me to ensure the monitor and the signal cable were both OK.

1337harcha

Caliper Novice
Apr 9, 2019
I agree with number one, I wanted to remove the sticker from Chieftec psu, and it went off relatively easily, but left a thick sticky mess which took at least hour or two to remove, I had to use a LOT of acetone, and even sandpaper lol. I was beyond frustrated after that "experience".
have you tried oil soap / baby soap? it's mind blowing

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I hate marketing stickers that advertise features, even though most products end up in consumer's hands but they are covered in stickers meant for retail display. Such a waste, literally. The amount of marketing I had to remove from TVs, monitors, laptops, computers and printers...

Solo

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Glancing at a motherboard sitting on my desk earlier; SATA connectors hogging beautiful ITX real estate in 2020. I mean I know people use them but like, I don't know, the two M.2 slots are enough for me.

Reactions: thelaughingman

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Glancing at a motherboard sitting on my desk earlier; SATA connectors hogging beautiful ITX real estate in 2020. I mean I know people use them but like, I don't know, the two M.2 slots are enough for me.
But how much space does THAT take?