Cooling Thicker fan on Noctua nh-l9i

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I've own both the c7 cu and the lp53. And the c7cu did not perform better than the lp53 with a9x14 fan. C7 cu also was tested with the a9x14 fan and although the noise levels are lower than the stock fan, the temps didn't change.

n13L5

Trash Compacter
Aug 20, 2017
The C7 has 4 heat pipes.

The Noctua nf-a9x14 is the best slim fan you you can get. The other fans don't come close, mainly because of their cheaper bearing designs. It is just unfortunate that the only color is brown.

I will open a small shop, blackening these fans with a welding torch and reselling them XDXDXD

Reactions: m.trix

n13L5

Trash Compacter
Aug 20, 2017
I own both the LP53 and the Cryorig C7 cu and a few fans. Until I complete my case design, my pc is running as an open bench. I've used both of these to cool a delidded, lapped and undervolted 8700k & no matter what, the LP53 w/ the stock fan works the best... even over a Noctua B9... albeit it's louder. At 100% cpu usage, the Cryorig can't hang on, it just slowly climbs in temp. I have an ID-Cooling No 9215 on the way, thinking if I run it below max rpm, it'll be the best 92x15mm for a super low profile setup.

As others have noted though, the LP53 interferes on some itx mobos. I have the MSI z370-I and I can only mount the LP53 perpendicular to the ram unless I want to run only 1 ram stick. The Cryorig didn't have this problem for me.

Side note: The sticky'd cpu cooler roundup thread shows these two much closer to each other than I've seen from my testing. Maybe my results will differ in a more enclosed setup... we'll see.

Edit: Just thought about what you said. The Cryorig C7 only has two heatpipes, they just wind through the body differently. See here: https://grabcad.com/library/cryorig-c7-fins-1

Edit #2: Yep, don't mind me...4 heatpipes.

Its quite possible, that the LP53's fins are so much better spaced / designed, that they make up for having less heat pipes.
Also possible that the LP53 simply has better heat pipes. LP53 fins also look to have a very similar arrangement as Noctua - and anything Noctua does is usually well researched.

The whole PC cooling business is a bit snake-oily - few companies stay clear of advertising stuff that sounds great on paper, but has no real benefit when its installed. Or, like with Cryorig, their manufacturing may just not be up to translating their concepts in the best possible way. (in more ways than just their posts placement being inaccurate - Thinking of Josh's complaints)

So, I may have been doing this for a long time, and I like to question and test opinions, but I'm still not completely resistant to advice and plain old data points from other people who already went to the trouble of testing. XDXD

So I'll start with the LP53 and the Noctua A9x14 fan - with a big thanks to everyone here!

@Thehack I'd happily buy this stuff from your store, but you're across the great ocean. It would take forever to get here and cause nothing but problems with waiting for customs, paying extra shipping/VAT... its horrible...

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Its quite possible, that the LP53's fins are so much better spaced / designed, that they make up for having less heat pipes.
Also possible that the LP53 simply has better heat pipes. LP53 fins also look to have a very similar arrangement as Noctua - and anything Noctua does is usually well researched.

The whole PC cooling business is a bit snake-oily - few companies stay clear of advertising stuff that sounds great on paper, but has no real benefit when its installed. Or, like with Cryorig, their manufacturing may just not be up to translating their concepts in the best possible way. (in more ways than just their posts placement being inaccurate - Thinking of Josh's complaints)

So, I may have been doing this for a long time, and I like to question and test opinions, but I'm still not completely resistant to advice and plain old data points from other people who already went to the trouble of testing. XDXD

So I'll start with the LP53 and the Noctua A9x14 fan - with a big thanks to everyone here!

@Thehack I'd happily buy this stuff from your store, but you're across the great ocean. It would take forever to get here and cause nothing but problems with waiting for customs, paying extra shipping/VAT... its horrible...

Are you in the EU?

n13L5

Trash Compacter
Aug 20, 2017
For about another month, yes...

I can't help also wanting to test the
Noctua NF A12X15 PWM
with the LP53...

But remember the old tube amps, that simply had the tubes sticking out of the top of the amp case?

I could cut a new top for the S4 with a nice hole in the right spot and let this

stick out the top...

Oh, and has anybody tried to reverse the fan, since a top-down blower works against the natural flow of hot air and must loose some amount of efficiency for that...

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
For about another month, yes...

I can't help also wanting to test the
Noctua NF A12X15 PWM
with the LP53...

No need to over complicate it. Big fans don't work because the air goes around the cooler.

If you have an EU address you can certainly order the LP53 from an EU store. They have it a little cheaper in the EU due to better supply chain.

Thauner

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 5, 2017
I just saw you wrote you ordered a silent wing, in 92mm ? which means a silent wing 2? how does it perform on the nh-l9i?

The Noctua performed better, so im back with that. Dont waste your money on the SW fan :)

n13L5

Trash Compacter
Aug 20, 2017
Was the SW quieter though?

Since Narwhal seemed to indicate, that the 92mm is a Silwent Wing 2 model, I'd surmise its not quieter.

Granted, I only compared the 120 and 140 mm models, but the only Be Quiet fans I wanted to keep were Silent Wing 3 models.
Those, I felt were slightly more silent than their Noctua counterparts.

But be careful - everybody's ears have a different frequency response across the audible spectrum. So opinions on noise are extremely subjective. Some little frequency range that gets attenuated by my ears, might be at full power perception in your ear and then you think: "what the hell was that guy talking about? These have a terrible whine at 2.31 KHz."

I think you can't get around ordering samples if you really want to know - or build into a fanless case like the HDPLEX HD1 and HD5. Not that I would recommend those - not even for the Livingroom. If you need a DAW computer for audio recording, then its worth the hassle though.