Cooling 92mm CPU Fan Shroud

essential

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Aug 26, 2023
I'm ordering a 30mm CPU Shroud to be used with a Noctua NH-L9x65.

The case I'm using has 110mm clearance, but because of my mobo choice (Asus z690i) I can't fit a NH-L12S.

I'm also adding a 25mm Noctua fan replacing the 14mm that comes with the NH-L9x65.

Total height with 25mm fan will be 76mm, plus the 30mm shroud puts me at 106mm, leaving me with 4mm clearance to the side panel.

Questions:
1) Is 4mm too close, or is that fine?

2) The seller I'm ordering from allows you to specify the fan side and the other side. So the fan side is 92mm, but should the other side also be 92mm or should I have something larger like 120mm or 140mm?

Thanks.

peterchristie

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 30, 2023
I'm ordering a 30mm CPU Shroud to be used with a Noctua NH-L9x65.

The case I'm using has 110mm clearance, but because of my mobo choice (Asus z690i) I can't fit a NH-L12S.

I'm also adding a 25mm Noctua fan replacing the 14mm that comes with the NH-L9x65.

Total height with 25mm fan will be 76mm, plus the 30mm shroud puts me at 106mm, leaving me with 4mm clearance to the side panel.

Questions:
1) Is 4mm too close, or is that fine?

2) The seller I'm ordering from allows you to specify the fan geometry dash subzero side and the other side. So the fan side is 92mm, but should the other side also be 92mm or should I have something larger like 120mm or 140mm?

Thanks.
A clearance of 4mm between the shroud and the side panel is quite close. It is important to ensure that there is enough clearance for proper airflow and to prevent any damage to the components.

The size of the fan on the other side of the shroud will depend on the size of the opening in your case. If the opening is 92mm, then a 92mm fan would be appropriate. If the opening is larger, then a larger fan such as 120mm or 140mm may be used.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Shroud can be as close as you want, even touching, but id suggest 2mm so it doesn't hit the panel.

Yes, an expanding slope on the shroud shape wouldn't hurt. like 92mm at the fan mounting to 120mm at the opening side.
I would guess it keeps the intake pressure slightly lower perhaps.