News Thermalright AXP90

It looks like Thermalright is working on a new heatsink in the sub 50mm height class:

Last edited:

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
From my testing (DAN Case-3700X) the AXP-90 Copper with NF-A9x14 VS NH-L9a with fan duct is 3-4C cooler.
I have done many tests (88W PPT and 100W PPT, Cinebench, Blender, Prime, always the same frequencies, voltages, power draws from the wall, ambient temps etc) and always the results was 3-4 degrees cooler.

But i'm intersted if anyone tested with 3900X/3950X? Not Eco full 142W PPT?

What are your highest Temps?
I played Battlefront 2 yesterady and it ran up to 89°C with PBO off. I might do a repasting with Kryonaut.

Xoroxronis

Chassis Packer
Jan 7, 2020
What are your highest Temps?
I played Battlefront 2 yesterady and it ran up to 89°C with PBO off. I might do a repasting with Kryonaut.

Gaming usually high 60's
Cinebench R20 low 70's
Blender bench 76-77C
Blender bench with PBO ON 80-81C (worst-case scenario)

If it helps i record 90min of use with 2 consecutive runs of Cinebench R20 for showing max temps, web browsing/music and working (Ambient 25C).

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
@Xoroxronis
Late but thank you for providing your screenshots. I repastetd the 3700x and changed pressure with the AXP-90 cooler and I have now similiar temps as you.

@Vlad502
Tanks for the link.
Did you get temperature improvements?

Any other buying platforms found? TaoBao seems teh only one. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Xoroxronis

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
I`m still with Intel system, but it is supposed to improve cooling
Bracket is custom made and this is why can buy it only one place (still can use shopping agent like Superbuy for shipping)

Looks like is sold out

Last edited:

StonedTablet

Caliper Novice
May 11, 2020
Has anyone tried using a 140mmx150mmx13mm fan on this heatsink? Anyone have a guess to what the cpu temps would b like with such a fan? (Raijintek aeolus α, silverstone sst-fw141, thermalright ty14013r)

Reactions: Broxin

Flipping_A_pebble

Chassis Packer
Aug 30, 2019
Finally a legit graphene coated copper heatsink from Thermalright themselves. Please say that it is so! Oh and it looks like they added a motherboard backplate as well or did the other versions come with one too? Anyway this is the one that I have been waiting for!

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Finally a legit graphene coated copper heatsink from Thermalright themselves. Please say that it is so! Oh and it looks like they added a motherboard backplate as well or did the other versions come with one too? Anyway this is the one that I have been waiting for!
a guy from my local community got the cooler, he's saying it's nickel plated copper and painted black, NOT graphene coated. this version comes with a backplate and both mounting kit for Intel and AMD. you can use google translate to read his FB post here

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
a guy from my local community got the cooler, he's saying it's nickel plated copper and painted black, NOT graphene coated. this version comes with a backplate and both mounting kit for Intel and AMD. you can use google translate to read his FB post here

ahah anyway all so called graphene coated are not really properlly applied..:)
Basically as long as it's delivering same performance as original model it's ok from my point of view

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
ahah anyway all so called graphene coated are not really properlly applied..:)
Basically as long as it's delivering same performance as original model it's ok from my point of view
well you're paying through the nose for the black paint. the Full Cu version is selling for 300 CNY, this black painted one is selling for 400 CNY. don't know about you but 33% price hike for just some paint is never worth it for me

Jakewat

Case Bender
New User
Sep 21, 2020
Hey guys, new here and wanted to share my experience so far with the AXP-90.

I've just recently built my SFF build, starting out in a SGPC K55 but quickly moving to a Ghost S1 (clone) because I got one 2nd hand locally, so couldn't resist.
In the K55, it took a bit of playing around with BIOS settings but I managed to get max temps to around 80-85c using the stock fan. I built two feet for this case which allowed for 2x 120mm exhaust fans (Gentle Tyhpoons) which helped a little.

Now the same build is in the Ghost case, but with the extra clearance I was able to rig up one of my Gentle Tyhoons as the CPU fan. Currently getting similar temps, but not quite happy with the fan, as it has some strange turbulence and wind up noises when the fan starts to get into the higher RPMs. Being a DC fan, its not the most ideal fan to set curves for and is probably causing some of the noise issues. Ontop of this, there is about 1-2mm gap between the fan and heatsink.

So, I'm wondering if I should try install a NF-A12 PWM , or go with an NF-A9? Any suggestions on which would be better between the A9x14 and A9x25? If I got the A9x14 I would probably look into building a fan-duct since the Ghost has about 65mm clearance total.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@Jakewat Disclaimer: I don't have the AXP-90. I went with the Blackridge, but have been lurking here long enough to have a few suggestions.

First, the greatest pressure/airflow is at the tips of the fan blades. Using a 90mm fan that covers the fin stack is best. How your current fan is aligned, none of the tips line up with the fins. I would shift the fan to the left in the picture, get the fan hub away from the center of your cooler, and make it intake instead of exhaust. That might fix all of your problems.

Second, if you still want to replace the fan , then I would go with the A9x14 + fan duct. If noise is your primary concern, a standard 25mm thick fan will cause more turbulence (and noise) against the side of your case.

Reactions: DrHudacris