Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I love the NH-L12 solution but, I was able to find one cooler (the Raijintek Pallas) which could best it and add some needed overclocking headroom. Unfortunately, the cooler and 13mm fan seem to total 68mm. It would be an incredibly tight fit at 153X150X68 vs the Noctua's 150X128X66 but, a little sanding and some manufacturing tolerance wiggle room might allow it.

What do you think?

Don't count on any manufacturing tolerance wiggle room form our side ;)

Knowing and owning the Raijintek Pallas cooler, I can guarantee that you can quite simply bend it down a little bit to a height of 65mm. This of course assumes that the cooler clears the RAM one has. This of course would mean that the fan blades would be too close to the outer shell if used in a pull config, and can create some noise. However, this can be remedied by reversing the orientation and have the fan exhaust: and my belief is that this would also lower the temps...

I believe this cooler would simply be the best air cooler to be used in this case...

I can try and take a photo if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Exclemator

NADRIGOL

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2017
Sonds like a very serious (mad) build. here is the rendering... hope the color works:

Brilliant! Thank you. I have officially dedicated too much time planning this build for me to abandon this now... so it's probably going to happen. I will be going for black, but being able to see the overall profile is what I needed. I'll have to add those tophats to my order!

Posted another question to the tophat slack, so I'll see you over there!

minhbao92

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
According to the GPU compatibility list, the MSI Gaming X will need an S top hat. So is it still possible for me to mount 2 fans at the top of the case if I order M or L top hat?

Reactions: johnny4eyes

Exclemator

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 24, 2018
Knowing and owning the Raijintek Pallas cooler, I can guarantee that you can quite simply bend it down a little bit to a height of 65mm. This of course assumes that the cooler clears the RAM one has. This of course would mean that the fan blades would be too close to the outer shell if used in a pull config, and can create some noise. However, this can be remedied by reversing the orientation and have the fan exhaust: and my belief is that this would also lower the temps...

I believe this cooler would simply be the best air cooler to be used in this case...

I can try and take a photo if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested! It really did seem like the best after a bunch of research. The temps are on par with the Noctua but it looks like it can sustain those temps better as the TDP rises. There is just so much more surface area and the fan is substantially larger.

Would you mind posting your temps and giving us a rough idea of your setup?

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I'd be interested! It really did seem like the best after a bunch of research. The temps are on par with the Noctua but it looks like it can sustain those temps better as the TDP rises. There is just so much more surface area and the fan is substantially larger.

Would you mind posting your temps and giving us a rough idea of your setup?

Here is my setup: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/i-think-i-found-a-little-gem-realan-e-i7.6175/

As you'll see I replaced the Raijintek Pallas for a Cryorig C1, only due to better fit, access to the motherboard and overall cleanliness of the end result. Pallas was a bit worse in temps, still handling an overclocked 1800X, both in open- and closed-case situations (closed-case is perfectly normal, as in this case, C1 has a better placement).

Pallas hangs on the heatpipes only, which are copper, so it is quite easy to bend it. You can see here that I had bent it (upwards) to fit with my taller-than-supported DIMMs: https://i.imgur.com/4liiG4j.jpg

Important thing to note is that Pallas, 68mm-tall-with-13m-fan in stock form, has about 38-39mm DIMM-height support, which will drop to about 35-36mm after bending it to a total height of 65mm.

In terms of temps though, Pallas trades blows with (but mostly better than) the NH-L12 with both its fans, and hands-down beats it with only the 92mm fan. Here is a good link with compilation of reviews, but there are other reviews that confirm this:
https://hardforum.com/threads/comparison-of-low-profile-cpu-coolers-50-75mm.1930056/

minor09

Case Bender
Jan 30, 2018
Hi, I wonder if MSI Gaming 1060 also need TopHat. It has slightly different pins location compared to 70/80-series. Here is pictures with highlighted pin headers area on both cards

Last edited:

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017
Hi, I wonder if MSI Gaming 1060 also need TopHat. It has slightly different pins location compared to 70/80-series. Here is pictures with highlighted pin headers area on both cards

Hmm this is close to ASUS Strix 1060/1070/1080 models where they've done very similar trick to drop down the PCB where power connectors are located. I know for sure ASUS fits as seen in LOUQE YouTube videos, but this MSI is almost close. Try checking the total height of MSI and ASUS boards PCB then calculate the difference. My guess would be no sadly, but almost. Meaning you will need small TopHat.

NADRIGOL

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2017

If the total height of the PCB fits according to the Ghost internal dimensions, you could probably make it work with low profile 90 degree PCIe connectors.

minor09

Case Bender
Jan 30, 2018
If the total height of the PCB fits according to the Ghost internal dimensions, you could probably make it work with low profile 90 degree PCIe connectors.
Oh, newer heart about that king of connectors, it definitely must fits, thank you. I'll try to find it in local stores.

Hmm this is close to ASUS Strix 1060/1070/1080 models where they've done very similar trick to drop down the PCB where power connectors are located. I know for sure ASUS fits as seen in LOUQE YouTube videos, but this MSI is almost close. Try checking the total height of MSI and ASUS boards PCB then calculate the difference. My guess would be no sadly, but almost. Meaning you will need small TopHat.
Just visually compared the PCB height of bot cards, you're right, asus card ends where the MSI pins header begins, it will be really tight.

HooglyBoogly

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2016

3vilgenius

Chassis Packer
Jan 4, 2018
@PaChalski So I know you guys are currently doing the noctua cooler thing and are looking into custom length cables. Are you guys still also trying to create some sort of discounted deal on a power supply? It seems that the corsair SF600 was by and large the PSU most people were going to buy anyway according to the Slack.

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
So anxious to get this case. There any latest update on this case?

Same! Very much looking forward to news about the Arctic White as well

I believe the most recent updates are on slack. If you’re a backer you should have received an email on how to follow them on slack. They had planned to create a reddit page but the vote to use reddit didn’t pass so it will continue to stay on slack. The problem on slack is that people are having random casual conversations on the important threads and for that very reason, I’ve stopped checking. Because I can care less that i.e. rigmaster2005 just bought a new aio cpu cooler and posted a picture of it in the #ghost_general thread.

Frankly the polling format they’re using only gets responses from people who check slack on a regular basis so the people already spamming slack are the ones voting and keeping it from reddit.

From what I’ve read I think they’re planning for mass production in April. But don’t quote me on that. I was and am still very excited for this case but the lack of updates, meltdown/spectre issues with current cpus, overpriced gpus due to crypto miners, and just waiting for the next generation of cpus/gpus, has somewhat toned down the excitement for the ghost. I’ll get it when I get it. I’m skeptical on how they’re gonna get everyone’s color choice and additional tophat orders with their current polling options.