Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

3vilgenius

Chassis Packer
Jan 4, 2018
Hi SFF, and PaChalski.

I'll be building a small form factor PC for the first time this summer, and am excited to have ordered the S1 in Limestone last week. I was wondering if there is any way I can amend my existing order to include the TopHat super-pack?

I'm still slowly working my way through this thread, so if I missed an obvious answer to this query, apologies in advance!
You should email them including your order number and ask. The email is on the contact us page or whatever on their website.

Reactions: Darch

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
What do you mean by “gable”, please elaborate... this sounds interesting!
Oh I thought that was the terminology you used but i mean the front part of the tophat, there could be a slit in the front with a removable bay for any 2,5" drive. The S tophat could maybe fit 1 bay, M tophat 2, etc.

NADRIGOL

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2017
Hey! This is an odd request. But I have something in mind and want to get a feel for how ridiculous (or amazing?) it might be. Could you post a picture of the XS with two large tophats on the top and another two large tophats on the bottom? Should be 416mm tall.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Oh I thought that was the terminology you used but i mean the front part of the tophat, there could be a slit in the front with a removable bay for any 2,5" drive. The S tophat could maybe fit 1 bay, M tophat 2, etc.
Great idea, it has been added to the list of add-on suggestions.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Hey! This is an odd request. But I have something in mind and want to get a feel for how ridiculous (or amazing?) it might be. Could you post a picture of the XS with two large tophats on the top and another two large tophats on the bottom? Should be 416mm tall.

We don't have that many TopHats of that size any more. We could render it out for you if you'd like. I'm so curious, what do you have in mind for this?

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
We have gotten Noctua involved in this project. So far we have arrived at the following:

• Big YES for a special LOUQE edition of the L12 for you, still unclear if LOUQE will need to take any stock, does not sound like it
  • They will have it ready in time for shipping of the Ghost
  • Special LOUQE edition will include upgraded mounting, supporting all current sockets
  • Special LOUQE edition will exclude top fan
  • A9 PWM is not suitable for static pull configuration, engineers strongly advise against it due to nasty turbulence noises - stick to the original 92mm fan.
  • Noctua wants to do more for you, there is no stress, we have a couple of weeks to investigate if we can create more value somehow, bundling with low profile case fans or a 25x120 fan suited for bottom position underneath the PSU. Whatever you might think of say it and we will look into the community’s consensus suggestions.

Darch

Chassis Packer
Jan 21, 2018
You should email them including your order number and ask. The email is on the contact us page or whatever on their website.

Thanks.

We have gotten Noctua involved in this project. So far we have arrived at the following:

• Big YES for a special LOUQE edition of the L12 for you, still unclear if LOUQE will need to take any stock, does not sound like it
  • Special LOUQE edition will include upgraded mounting, supporting all current sockets
  • A9 PWM is not suitable for static pull configuration, engineers strongly advise against it due to nasty turbulence noises - stick to the original 92mm fan.
  • Noctua wants to do more for you, there is no stress, we have a couple of weeks to investigate if we can create more value somehow, bundling with low profile case fans or a 25x120 fan suited for bottom position underneath the PSU. Whatever you might think of say it and we will look into the community’s consensus suggestions.

Awesome news regarding the L12, thanks.

As for suggestions, I had already decided on using two Noctua 15x120s in the small top hat, which I'd place below the S1. I'm probably in the minority with that plan, but there you go!

NADRIGOL

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2017
We don't have that many TopHats of that size any more. We could render it out for you if you'd like. I'm so curious, what do you have in mind for this?

Well you've created an incredibly compact base, but with theoretically infinite expansion ability. Most people are approaching this case in one of two ways; how can I maximize the performance in the base xs case, or how can add the minimum number of top hats to optimize performance given some particular metric (i.e. a small top hat for just enough air clearance to bring system temps down, or a large top hat for an AIO rad to gain sub 50/60 CPU temps). I've been planning to custom loop in this case, and I've been considering going a different direction; what would be optimal in any case? Can I fit it in the Ghost? Two large top hats would fit a 60mm EK XS 240 rad in push/pull with 25mm rad SP fans. Two large top hats on both sides would allow for this setup twice, one for the CPU and one for the GPU. Either push all the air through the case bottom to top, or if there's enough ventilation in the middle of the case (maybe with the vented glass panels) push air out the top and bottom so both rad stacks get relatively cool air from the middle). The whole case would be 416mm tall, which I've measured out, and might be impressively tall and skinny (rather than awkwardly tall and skinny), but a render would help me decide!

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Thanks.

Awesome news regarding the L12, thanks.

As for suggestions, I had already decided on using two Noctua 15x120s in the small top hat, which I'd place below the S1. I'm probably in the minority with that plan, but there you go!

I believe they will happily present different bundling alternatives, L12(S1) + 120x25mm fan, L12(S1)+ dual 120x15 fans etc. More ideas like this!

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017

This is incredible news! It's amazing you guys have grown to the point that Noctua will work on a cooler specifically for the case. If you can bundle it with the case then that would be even cooler(hah, get it).

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017

@PaChalski This is great news to hear. It’s very encouraging that they’re willing to assist on this project.

I read your post on hardforums that they are willing to help without having to change the materials (sadly meaning we won’t see a copper L12). Does this mean no design changes to the existing L12?

Is it just the L12 they’re doing special packaging for the S1? Is it too optimistic that they’d shave 4mm off the L12s for us? :D

If it is only the L12, would adjusting orientation be an option? To have the fins vertical for S1 customers who want vertical flowing fans in a top hat above and in a top hat below the case? Or possible a slight increase in ram clearance to allow for not ram choices? Perhaps moving the radiator to clear ram while still allowing a larger fan to fit underneath?

I realize some of those would require structural redesigns but it would work wonders not only for ghost S1 customers but other sff case owners.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
@PaChalski This is great news to hear. It’s very encouraging that they’re willing to assist on this project.

I read your post on hardforums that they are willing to help without having to change the materials (sadly meaning we won’t see a copper L12). Does this mean no design changes to the existing L12?
No change in matterial is possible at this point if we are reaching the market in time for the delivery of the Ghost and keep prices below 50 USD
NOCTUA is intrested in our Graphene experiment and we will happily work with them on that. It will outperfore copper 3 times and is lighter than alluminium if it prove to works as preliminary results show us.

@PaChalski
Is it just the L12 they’re doing special packaging for the S1? Is it too optimistic that they’d shave 4mm off the L12s for us? :D
I'm not sure the L12S is a better cooler though. Less conductive area as is and lower ram clearance, shaving away another 4mm from it would very likely render it a lower performer. Has anyone seen a direct comparison between the tow?

@PaChalski
If it is only the L12, would adjusting orientation be an option? To have the fins vertical for S1 customers who want vertical flowing fans in a top hat above and in a top hat below the case? Or possible a slight increase in ram clearance to allow for not ram choices? Perhaps moving the radiator to clear ram while still allowing a larger fan to fit underneath?

I realize some of those would require structural redesigns but it would work wonders not only for ghost S1 customers but other sff case owners.
Your last points will be included for investigation into the next generation Graphene solution!

edit "for investigation"

Reactions: edrenmarc

Exclemator

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 24, 2018
I love the NH-L12 solution but, I was able to find one cooler (the Raijintek Pallas) which could best it and add some needed overclocking headroom. Unfortunately, the cooler and 13mm fan seem to total 68mm. It would be an incredibly tight fit at 153X150X68 vs the Noctua's 150X128X66 but, a little sanding and some manufacturing tolerance wiggle room might allow it.

What do you think?

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
I love the NH-L12 solution but, I was able to find one cooler (the Raijintek Pallas) which could best it and add some needed overclocking headroom. Unfortunately, the cooler and 13mm fan seem to total 68mm. It would be an incredibly tight fit at 153X150X68 vs the Noctua's 150X128X66 but, a little sanding and some manufacturing tolerance wiggle room might allow it.

What do you think?

my first thought when i saw this cooler was taking a fine-tooth hacksaw blade to those bottom fin extensions, finding the proper orientation, and securing a 15mm 120 fan underneath

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017

What do you think?
I cant believe 68mm would clear, as i understand 66mm is already just clearing considering it is 1mm above max, Other than that height what makes it better? Is there more heat sink surface area? It would be good to see some comparison but I doubt it would be worth it considering you have to mod it. and for what? maybe a degree or 2.

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh man, when and where will I be able to purchase this!?

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Well you've created an incredibly compact base, but with theoretically infinite expansion ability. Most people are approaching this case in one of two ways; how can I maximize the performance in the base xs case, or how can add the minimum number of top hats to optimize performance given some particular metric (i.e. a small top hat for just enough air clearance to bring system temps down, or a large top hat for an AIO rad to gain sub 50/60 CPU temps). I've been planning to custom loop in this case, and I've been considering going a different direction; what would be optimal in any case? Can I fit it in the Ghost? Two large top hats would fit a 60mm EK XS 240 rad in push/pull with 25mm rad SP fans. Two large top hats on both sides would allow for this setup twice, one for the CPU and one for the GPU. Either push all the air through the case bottom to top, or if there's enough ventilation in the middle of the case (maybe with the vented glass panels) push air out the top and bottom so both rad stacks get relatively cool air from the middle). The whole case would be 416mm tall, which I've measured out, and might be impressively tall and skinny (rather than awkwardly tall and skinny), but a render would help me decide!

Sonds like a very serious (mad) build. here is the rendering... hope the color works:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017

What do you think?
Don't count on any manufacturing tolerance wiggle room form our side ;)

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Oooh man, when and where will I be able to purchase this!?

It will be available when the Ghost ships for the first time, we are discussing collaborations in logistics where we would be able to send them with the same package.

We have pushed them further through suggestions from the community, waiting to see what they respond:

• Investigate possibility to add dark nickel-plating to the heat sink
• Investigate Redux fan alternative, suitable for pull? How does it affect performance? Is SSO2 bearing an option? If so “this would be amazing”
• Custom color fan, changing the dye in the polymer?
• TopHat and bottom fan bundles alternatives

We just tested the Redux fan and fist impressions are impressive