Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
There seems to also have been a discussion about pump placement in the ghost, if you went with a Zotac 1080Ti Mini (211mm in length) giving 111mm in space on the rear does it become more realistic?

Depends on the width of the GPU chamber (the edge of the spine, to the edge of the GPU side panel). The smallest pump/res options I know of (the XSPC Ion, and the DC-LT combo) require ~50mm of width to fit.

Reactions: PaChalski

Tim

Cable Smoosher
Nov 27, 2017
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ArcticStorm Mini
Card Length 212mm x 164mm x 41mm.
The problem is not in length , this graphic card is too tall maybe more than 164mm as you can see in below.
1st Zotac site https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-arcticstorm-mini#overview
In 2nd Zotac site size of Graphic is different https://www.zotac.com/page/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-arcticstorm-mini

Last edited:

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
A bit funny that Zotac calls it "mini". "Short fatty" is more accurate. Or "Short and so fat it only fits in unnecessarily wide (or high for the S1) cases".

Blood

Chassis Packer
Nov 25, 2017
Depends on the width of the GPU chamber (the edge of the spine, to the edge of the GPU side panel). The smallest pump/res options I know of (the XSPC Ion, and the DC-LT combo) require ~50mm of width to fit.

A DDC mounted to the spine should fit no problem. I believe the Ion should fit as well based on the quoted dimensions from XSPC and the 51.8mm of space in the GPU bay in the Ghost?

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ArcticStorm Mini
Card Length 212mm x 164mm x 41mm.
The problem is not in length , this graphic card is too tall maybe more than 164mm as you can see in below.
1st Zotac site https://www.zotac.com/gb/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-arcticstorm-mini#overview
In 2nd Zotac site size of Graphic is different https://www.zotac.com/page/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-arcticstorm-mini

I've asked Zotac for dims for the terminal but nothing yet. Looking at the Sweclocker build (specifically @ 25:30), visually it looks like there might be space for the terminal. You could then use the two front G1/4 ports rather than the two top ports Zotac photos have the barbs screwed into. Tight 90 fittings to fit between the card and side panel becomes the next issue.

@PaChalski two questions:
1) When mounting a tophat, does the platform (Sweclocker review @ 16.31) have to be mounted between the main Ghost body and the tophat? Or can it be mounted at the top of a L tophat and have the rad/fans mounted and hanging below it? Just wondering if doing this would free up a bit more space for taller waterblocks
2) Knowing it would require a longer PCIe extender, is there any more space to drop the power outlet and PCIe slots?

Cheers

oreg

Chassis Packer
Nov 27, 2017
Hi there,
have been a silent follower until now. I discovered the forum through an article on the Dan A4 initially and then saw this thread around the Ghost S1 and I think it's just an awesome case to come. This will be my first small form factor build as well as my first kickstarter backing ever. Really appreciate what you guys put together from a design and manufacturing point.

There is one question currently on which I did not get any answer out of the recent images and posts yet:
The specs tell about the M TopHat to be able to accomodate 3.5" drive(s), but I haven't seen any picture or rendering of it yet. Will the "blades" with the mounting options for the fans also do have cutouts that fit for 3.5" drives? If yes, will it be possible to have two 3.5" drives mounted into one tophat?

I'm planning for a config with M hat in bottom with the two 3.5" drives, the core with two 2.5 ssd's and another M hat on top with two regular 120mm Fans pulling out air. (Maybe I'm not that SFF minded yet as I still would like to use 3.5" drives but I like to have a lot of storage space for convenience reasons and are keen on reusing my existing hardware- do have a NAS as well, but redundancy is quite useful in some cases.

Thanks!

Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
1) When mounting a tophat, does the platform (Sweclocker review @ 16.31) have to be mounted between the main Ghost body and the tophat? Or can it be mounted at the top of a L tophat and have the rad/fans mounted and hanging below it? Just wondering if doing this would free up a bit more space for taller waterblocks

Cheers

The platform can be mounted om either side of the TopHat, currently the gap between body and TopHat will decrease by 1 mm if platform is placed above. For the prod unit this will not be the case... The platform will “fall down” another mm. This is a super detailed question! Loving the attention to detail!

2) Knowing it would require a longer PCIe extender, is there any more space to drop the power outlet and PCIe slots?

There is some wiggle room, not to move the C13 further down but Riser. This is the plan, we will do everything that makes sense to get the FTW3 in, a personal favorit, and it would benefit from a couple more mm of headroom. We have discussed ditching the C13 all together and just feed the power cord right through, saving some 15-20 mm, but it didn’t pass.

Blood

Chassis Packer
Nov 25, 2017
There is some wiggle room, not to move the C13 further down but Riser. This is the plan, we will do everything that makes sense to get the FTW3 in, a personal favorit, and it would benefit from a couple more mm of headroom. We have discussed ditching the C13 all together and just feed the power cord right through, saving some 15-20 mm, but it didn’t pass.

Any logic in flipping the C13 to the top and dropping the PCIe right down to the bottom? Might open up options to routing the power cord around the top side of taller GPUs and blocks?

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Hi there,
have been a silent follower until now. I discovered the forum through an article on the Dan A4 initially and then saw this thread around the Ghost S1 and I think it's just an awesome case to come. This will be my first small form factor build as well as my first kickstarter backing ever. Really appreciate what you guys put together from a design and manufacturing point.

There is one question currently on which I did not get any answer out of the recent images and posts yet:
The specs tell about the M TopHat to be able to accomodate 3.5" drive(s), but I haven't seen any picture or rendering of it yet. Will the "blades" with the mounting options for the fans also do have cutouts that fit for 3.5" drives? If yes, will it be possible to have two 3.5" drives mounted into one tophat?

I'm planning for a config with M hat in bottom with the two 3.5" drives, the core with two 2.5 ssd's and another M hat on top with two regular 120mm Fans pulling out air. (Maybe I'm not that SFF minded yet as I still would like to use 3.5" drives but I like to have a lot of storage space for convenience reasons and are keen on reusing my existing hardware- do have a NAS as well, but redundancy is quite useful in some cases.

Thanks!

Brackets for 3.5” drives have not yet been developed. Why? Simple answer is that this is the “easy” part that we know we will be able to solve with some focused time with CAD.

The Ghost will hopefully become a long lasting platform that will keep developing over time. All bracket-like components will be available for download so you can 3D-print them at home or purchasable through different channels and on our future web shop.

With an M-TopHat we may be able to squeeze two 3.5s in but I can’t promis anything. 1 3.5 and 2 2.5 will absolutely fit

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Any logic in flipping the C13 to the top and dropping the PCIe right down to the bottom? Might open up options to routing the power cord around the top side of taller GPUs and blocks?

This didn’t pass based on two things:
- looks funny and leaves more cables dangling behind the case
- It would be in the way when building

Blood

Chassis Packer
Nov 25, 2017
This didn’t pass based on two things:
- looks funny and leaves more cables dangling behind the case
- It would be in the way when building

10-4. See thats why you're developing the case and I'm sitting at home second guessing things. Keep up the good work!

oreg

Chassis Packer
Nov 27, 2017
Sounds great, thanks for the reply. Can't await the start of the kickstarter. I might will then downgrade to just one 3.5" drive. Will those brackets be available for purchase already before or during the case ships to the backers? Would be nice to have it all in place at once.

Just for fun here's a quick concept how a previously discussed "joiner" hat could look like (the second system would sit on top then):

SilverFox18

Trash Compacter
Sep 29, 2017
Super 'neat and clean…' - looking forward to the numbers etc. Looks very serene and calm setup - lots of hard work to get where you have - Grats.:thumb:

Tim

Cable Smoosher
Nov 27, 2017
A DDC mounted to the spine should fit no problem. I believe the Ion should fit as well based on the quoted dimensions from XSPC and the 51.8mm of space in the GPU bay in the Ghost?

I've asked Zotac for dims for the terminal but nothing yet. Looking at the Sweclocker build (specifically @ 25:30), visually it looks like there might be space for the terminal. You could then use the two front G1/4 ports rather than the two top ports Zotac photos have the barbs screwed into. Tight 90 fittings to fit between the card and side panel becomes the next issue.

Hi i have seen video from Sweclocker , he use EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6183-KR , and the dimensions for this graphic card is Length: 266.7mm and Height: 111.15mm . As i mention before the Zotac dimension is 212mm x 164mm x 41mm so is much more tall graphic card . Evga 111.15mm <-> Zotac 164mm . I think there no space to fit this Zotac to this case. Maybe i'm wrong maybe not.

johnny4eyes

Caliper Novice
Oct 18, 2017
Here are some pics from the 8700k build that is now being stressed, still dead silent after 20 minutes of Prime95!

Definitely want to see those results!! Originally I was content to dealing with a single Medium hat but the lack symmetry just bothered me! If that performs well, I'd consider running two Small hats or none if temps allow it!

Trying to keep the size down while not taking away from the simplicity and symmetry.

HooglyBoogly

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2016
Here are some pics from the 8700k build that is now being stressed, still dead silent after 20 minutes of Prime95!

It looks like there's a fairly large gap between the front panel and the top hat. Will that shrink in the production version?

Also, might it make more sense to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees so the air could flow up more easily?

johnny4eyes

Caliper Novice
Oct 18, 2017
Sounds great, thanks for the reply. Can't await the start of the kickstarter. I might will then downgrade to just one 3.5" drive. Will those brackets be available for purchase already before or during the case ships to the backers? Would be nice to have it all in place at once.

Just for fun here's a quick concept how a previously discussed "joiner" hat could look like (the second system would sit on top then):

Admittedly I considered "What could I do with TWO Ghost S1s and this idea came to mind as well. For me, it wasn't practical (but to each their own) so I left it alone, instead I thought about turning one into a speaker (for desk symmetry) or cramming a peltier module into it to make a soda can cooler as I think the CPU side has enough width to fit a can.

You think there's a limit to how many hats you can stack before structural integrity becomes an issue? I'd assume if you want to go really extreme, you'd want a bottom hat, Ghost S1, top hat, joiner, hat, than another Ghost S1 (with hat)? Preventing hot air recycling back into the top Ghost S1 might be an issue hence the other hats as dedicated exhaust. Using a third Ghost S1 and covering some holes could be your joiner piece!

A Ghost S1 sized vented hat with magnetic internal vent covers (dust/air flow restriction) and clever divider mount (magnetic or slotted) that allowed vertically 1/3, 2/3, 1/2, or diagonal mounting would solve both our goals .

Still waiting to see if my carry handle hat will come to fruition!

johnny4eyes

Caliper Novice
Oct 18, 2017
Also, might it make more sense to rotate the heatsink 90 degrees so the air could flow up more easily?

In theory yes, I think the fin orientation would help with air flow leaving the case if being passively cooled, but I think more importantly is the heat pipe orientation. The condensing side of heat pipes should be the most vertical to aid with condensing and evaporation within them. (Not an expert)

Aluminum has a pretty good rate of losing heat (I think) as opposed to copper drawing it in. (Most cooler designs are copper heat pipes, maybe aluminum finished, with aluminum fins?) Difference may be minimal if given the heat pipes still in a vertical orientation. I'm not a heat transfer expert though, just my 2 cents.

If it was laying flat on a table, any orientation could work as the pipes are technically in the most vertical position they can be in, but the RAM slots may dictate orientation, specially for the L12.