Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
@PaChalski I've seen you've been posting some nice updates on Instagram, is there any chance you could post some updates on here as well?

You are potentially missing out on a tonne of exposure and feedback from this forum, you need to build momentum and hype on all fronts to avoid repeating what happened with the first Kickstarter campaign.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017

Finally, some daylight. Sorry for the silence! This is not a final answer to all your questions and feedback, but a try to create a platform for discussion, call it a version 0.8 if you want. Next week we will meet with the factory and preparing for a new production prototype so please help us get it to a 0.9 as soon as possible. High-level feedback to nitty-gritty details - we need it all.

Let’s get to it. First the new spec and then a presentation of all the components we’ve adjusted

THE SPEC

General Specifications & Compatibility

• Overall dimensions (including shell & feets): 317 x 133 x 184 mm
    • GPU: Dual-Slot, maximum: 306 x 136 x 50 mm
    • Motherboard: Mini-ITX
    • PSU: SFX or SFX-L
    • Storage: 3 x 2.5" SSD/HDD + M.2
    • CPU cooler: maximum height 65,3 mm
    • Memory: maximum height 67,3 mm
GPU providers don’t specify dimensions detailed enough to understand compatibility completely (especially if they are close to our specified measurements). We will try each of the major GPU models to give you a go/no go as soon as possible. However, IF you see that the dimensions of you card are far smaller than the Ghost’s it will most certainly fit.

THE SPINE

This is where most of the engineering hours have been spent. Maximizing functionality while simplifying the layout has been the primary guiding principle throughout the design process. The hardware of your choice can be fixated directly to the Spine making it the single most important component of the case.

The spine has been totally remodeled, assuring better compatibility, endurance and production efficiency.

• Height lowered from 179mm to 176mm
    • MB opening enlarged
    • PMB standoffs changed from 6mm to 4mm
    • Fillet to gables decreased
    • PSU bracket, redesigned and fixation orientation flipped 180
    • Kensington lock added on rear gable
    • Power & SSD opening enlarged
    • Length increased by 2 mm
    • Space on both sides of monococ increased by 2.32mm horizontally
    • Filter slots accentuated for better guidance
    • CPU cooler max height 65.32
    • Memory max height 67,32
    • Anodized T5 or T6 alloy
    • GPU max width raised to 53.32 mm

THE CORE

The Core consists of the Spine with some additional components that protect the inside, simplifies the build and increases the aesthetics of the end-product. For the hardcore users, this is where the build ends. Just add filters to cover the Core cavities and you have a stunning case with the “hood left open”.

• The base plate is slightly longer than the Spine, creating a small lip in the front and two small appendices in the back that the shell eventually rests on.
    • A couple of new holes are found in the back, the earlier plan to have that grill snap on with magnets is ditched and instead it is screwed in place from the back.
    • The total core volume is reduced by 100 ml, at the same time the compatibility is increased. Longer and wider GPU, taller CPU clearance and more room between the PSU and the MB
    • The core is airier than before, the updated design allows for more vertical airflow
    • The top and the bottom of the Core have identical opening patterns, also matching the grill (presented later) perfectly
    • Included dust filters that are well integrated in the design and architecture of the case, making the not only look good but also are easily pulled out for cleaning
    • Pushed bottom plate to increase rigidity and make room for bottom filter
    • Re-designed top plate for reduced turbulence and increased air-flow

THE SHELL

By now, most of you have a good understanding of the inner workings of the case. All the components have iteratively been designed in respect to each other, when assembling all the components together this will hopefully clearly shine through.

• Shell, anodized rough/matt and dyed in different colors (we will discuss the final launching line-up later)
    • Hole pattern changed, enlarged radius on holes from 1,25 to 1,5mm, increased perforated area on sides vertically to match 120mm fans in PSU and CPU (aesthetically we would like your input here. In our opinion the increased performance/noise reduction/air flow come at a cost of looks
    • The top of the shell is now milled down to let the grill “fall down into the shell”, grill has been increased in every horizontal direction by ~1mm to make this possible (same solution is used in the TopHats, below)
    • All patterns between components are synchronized in order merge in a neat and efficient way, see bottom silhouette angle

THE TOPHATS

Last chapter of the product walkthrough covers the TopHats. There are a couple of changes made here. The TopHats now have a milled bottom that slides down into the shell, they are still screwed to shell on the inside.

• Small: 15,5mm
    • Medium: 25,5mm
    • Large: 56,5mm
The IO-panel has 4 sets of holes to make height adjustments possible to match selected TopHat.

Last edited:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
When the Kickstarter was up the unfamiliar currency really made me cautious.
I really hope you guys come back sooner.

Having to wait until the holidays is very hard.

If you guys posted a propotype build with a Ryzen cpu that is aio cooled:D

Help me understand this Ryzen hype, do they beat the i7700?

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
Help me understand this Ryzen hype, do they beat the i7700?

Not in games (for now), although the performance difference is minimal, practically none when gaming in 4K since the graphics card(s) are the bottleneck in very high resolutions.

In any* multi-core usage scenario, Ryzen (at least 1700 and above) wins by far.

*) there are of course always exceptions

bvbz

Minimal Tinkerer
May 15, 2017
Oh my god I love it... such a good looking design.

Do you have an emailing list for when it will be available? The moment it is available I'm ordering one. :eek:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Here is an early illustration of how the cable management works and why the PSU-bracket is removable to make this possible

Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Not in games (for now), although the performance difference is minimal, practically none when gaming in 4K since the graphics card(s) are the bottleneck in very high resolutions.

In any* multi-core usage scenario, Ryzen (at least 1700 and above) wins by far.

*) there are of course always exceptions
Good to know, the majority of our renderings are done in key-shot that uses CPU only! That alone is reason enough to switch, what about heat?

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
Good to know, the majority of our renderings are done in key-shot that uses CPU only! That alone is reason enough to switch, what about heat?

Regarding KeyShot performance I don't really know anything about it, but I found this (Ryzen 1700X @ stock and also overclocked):

https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=14233.0

That's apparently pretty fast as far as I can tell, compared to other results.

I think all the Ryzen models from 1700 and up are rated at 95W TDP, but I'd wager only the 1800X actually goes that high in practice. The Ryzen series is apparently pretty energy efficient.

There's a small (heh) problem though. So far there's only one AM4-socket itx board available, the one from Biostar which appears a little difficult to get hold of. More alternatives are sure to surface though, hopefully sooner than later.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Let’s start walking through all the changes in detail, component for component, first out is the base plate. The following significant changes have been made here:

· Base cutout pattern redesigned to match larger hole pattern in top grill and the “Mounting deck” (FKA the Creative Platform)

· Material thickness reduced for better manufacturing precision

· Pushed 3mm for stronger construction and to make room for bottom filters

· SSD bracket mounted with m2 screws and soft rubber soft rubber gaskets

· 2 different SSD bracket placements, on that allows side filters, one that leaves more room underneath the PSU

· 2.5” drive vertical spacing in bracket is 8mm

· One SSD-disk is mountable without the SSD-bracket using the same mounting holes.

· 4,85mm tall, soft rubber feet, diameter 8,2mm, adhesive fixation

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I am no expert but can I ask why the GPU is so high up, it looks like it has plenty of space below it and the bottom grill.
Is it only to align it with the side panel holes?

Reason I am asking this is because there isn't much space between the top of the GPU and the top grill. (If there is enough then no problem but) Some people may want to put the GPU in a liquid cooling loop. Most GPU blocks have the connections at the top so they may not fit.

Some crazy people may even opt to use PCIE bifurcation via Riser to do sli or xfire, in which case they would need GPU blocks.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I am no expert but can I ask why the GPU is so high up, it looks like it has plenty of space below it and the bottom grill.
Is it only to align it with the side panel holes?

Reason I am asking this is because there isn't much space between the top of the GPU and the top grill. (If there is enough then no problem but) Some people may want to put the GPU in a liquid cooling loop. Most GPU blocks have the connections at the top so they may not fit.

Some crazy people may even opt to use PCIE bifurcation via Riser to do sli or xfire, in which case they would need GPU blocks.

With this layout, there are two possible positions of the GPU, close to the “Base plate” or close to the “Cooling Deck” because the space in the back of the case needs to be shared with the power cord. This is a tough trade-off that we have spent a lot of thinking about. A simple thing like the power cord takes up ridicules amount of space, an alternative would have been to let the power cord hang out in the back and free more space for the GPU to utilize. But this was disqualified based on two reasons:

· Tougher CE certification

· Less completed final product

If someone would like to use this solution anyway it would be easy enough to mod the case to work this way – adding an additional 22mm to the GPU height.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
With this layout, there are two possible positions of the GPU, close to the “Base plate” or close to the “Cooling Deck” because the space in the back of the case needs to be shared with the power cord. This is a tough trade-off that we have spent a lot of thinking about. A simple thing like the power cord takes up ridicules amount of space, an alternative would have been to let the power cord hang out in the back and free more space for the GPU to utilize. But this was disqualified based on two reasons:

· Tougher CE certification

· Less completed final product

If someone would like to use this solution anyway it would be easy enough to mod the case to work this way – adding an additional 22mm to the GPU height.

Oh nice, good to know that it's not that hard of a mod.

Also , that damn CE certification....a tangent but, my colleague at work wants to buy some super expensive lab equipment but he cannot have it imported from Japan because it does not have CE certification........sigh.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Time to go through the Spine, the following important changes have been done:

· Height lowered from 179mm to 176mm

· Edges chamfered

· MB opening enlarged

· PCI riser opening smoothened and decreased

· PMB standoffs changed from 6mm to 4mm