Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Nahkarankaisija

What's an ITX?
Apr 18, 2017
I also think that you should include the PCIE riser with the case, as it would make it difficult for less inclined customers to buy a good quality one without any issues.

Reactions: Nosuchthing

Wolf_LikeMe

Caliper Novice
Mar 23, 2017
It's 3-4mm thick isn't it? You don't have to worry about people bending it, but that's a good point about the threads.

Yeah there will be no problems using 3-4mm, FEA can be very useful or completely useless,

Using formed threads (Like KonradL suggested) could eliminate the need for the heat treatment as you get a greater thickness of material at the point of threading (allowing you to use thinner sheet material), therefore more threads to 'purchase on'. This process also results in some useful work hardening in the region.
This tends to be cheaper to manufacture than clinch nuts, riv-nuts etc too as many new machines have this built in.

Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Yeah there will be no problems using 3-4mm, FEA can be very useful or completely useless,

Using formed threads (Like KonradL suggested) could eliminate the need for the heat treatment as you get a greater thickness of material at the point of threading (allowing you to use thinner sheet material), therefore more threads to 'purchase on'. This process also results in some useful work hardening in the region.
This tends to be cheaper to manufacture than clinch nuts, riv-nuts etc too as many new machines have this built in.

Magic, will look into this!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
With respect to the riser, could you crowdfund the case and sell the riser on your site so that Indiegogo or Kickstarter doesn't take their 10% cut on the riser as well as the case?

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
Same. In the end, people buying risers separately are part of a very small niche. You will lose customers if you make them have to buy a riser independently.

On the contrary, people who have no need for a discrete GPU and want a handsome case may be turned off by having to pay for a riser they have no use for. The GHOST S1 is one of the best looking cases I've seen, and I'm fairly sure not everyone who buys one will need a dGPU. Depending on the cost of the case without a riser, I'd wager the niche of those wanting a compact/good looking/affordable is comparable in size to the niche wanting a compact/good looking/pricey case with dGPU. Both are relatively small.

Nosuchthing

Trash Compacter
Feb 27, 2017
I was part of the original Kickstarter, and I for one would not back a case like this without the riser included unless it was made very easy for me. I know next to nothing about risers like this and don't have the time to hunt through to find the best value.

That said, I have need of both a dedicated GPU and have never used a case with a riser before.

Rock Rock Robot999

Efficiency Noob
May 6, 2017
On the contrary, people who have no need for a discrete GPU and want a handsome case may be turned off by having to pay for a riser they have no use for. The GHOST S1 is one of the best looking cases I've seen, and I'm fairly sure not everyone who buys one will need a dGPU. Depending on the cost of the case without a riser, I'd wager the niche of those wanting a compact/good looking/affordable is comparable in size to the niche wanting a compact/good looking/pricey case with dGPU. Both are relatively small.

I doubt there's really anyone willing to spend 200+ on a case like this that won't also be adding a dGPU. Otherwise there are much smaller and cheaper cases that would better serve them. The case will be pricey with or without the riser, inclusion just simplifies the process.

scub4st3v3

Trash Compacter
May 4, 2017
I doubt there's really anyone willing to spend 200+ on a case like this that won't also be adding a dGPU. Otherwise there are much smaller and cheaper cases that would better serve them. The case will be pricey with or without the riser, inclusion just simplifies the process.

Where was it said the case without riser will be $200+? I said *depending* on the cost of case without the riser.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They could have the case with and without the extender on Kickstarter, it's just I think trying to save the Kickstarter fees on the extender by selling it separately after the campaign is a bad idea.

Reactions: K888D

popo2076

Chassis Packer
Apr 15, 2017
when will it be released...
don't mind narrow things..
I think 'with or without riser option' is not important thing.

Rock Rock Robot999

Efficiency Noob
May 6, 2017
Where was it said the case without riser will be $200+? I said *depending* on the cost of case without the riser.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as dismissive. The Kickstarter listed the retail price of the XS as ~$325 (2000 SEK at a 30% discount --> 2857 SEK retail). The 3M Risers are a little pricey, ranging from $60-$70 each in bulk prices, but they're very nice. If you subtract $70 for the riser cost and then also 20% for VAT it comes out to $204 before shipping.
I do think having the riser should be optional.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
when will it be released...

I think they said their goal was to have it on kickstarter again within 2 months, and definite delivery before Christmas (oct-nov). However, this is probably a bit uncertain at the moment.

Regarding risers, they are evaluating the Li-Heat riser as well.

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
When the Kickstarter was up the unfamiliar currency really made me cautious.
I really hope you guys come back sooner.

Having to wait until the holidays is very hard.

If you guys posted a propotype build with a Ryzen cpu that is aio cooled:D