Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's disappointing but I'm glad they cut it short rather than wasting people's time when it's pretty clear it won't succeed.

Now they can immediately begin working on addressing the publicity issues and hopefully do a quick turnaround with more success.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
They sent an email out to all backers explaining the issue. They will try a retake on the Ghost S1 after implementing the feedback they have received. This includes design feedback, and exposure feedback - their exposure being far too little before going in kickstarter. This should mean we can see more actual build examples on real prototypes, hands on videos on prototype sent to reviewers, etc. It was the right thing to do, and I think they will succeed.

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Sadly they didn't do nearly enough community engagement before hand. Dan, Sentry, Ncase etc all spent a year or so developing the case beforehand. Ghost had mere weeks.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Hey, we are close to complete the design of an updated version. We have compiled all the feedback, please see if we are missing anything in the list below or if you would like to add anything.

Area: Feedback / Decision - Status

CMF: Add Color, Silver/alu / Address - Ongoing
CMF: Add Color, Other / Address - Ongoing
CMF: Change glossy to matt top grill / Address - Ongoing
CMF: Ragtag instead of or changeable flag / Address - Ongoing
Compatibility: Supporting two AIO systems / Address - Ongoing
Compatibility: Taller CPU cooler / Address - Implemented
Compatibility: Higher GPU / Address - Implemented
Compatibility: Wider GPU support / Address - Implemented
Compatibility: Add Kensigton lock slot / Address - Ongoing
Compatibility: Increased number of SSD placements / Address - Implemented
Concept: Custom loop pump mounting / Address - Ongoing
Concept: Make the case smaller in volume / Address - Ongoing
Concept: Address turbulence problems where fans are close to case bodies / Address - Implemented
Cost: Remove included expensive riser / Address - Ongoing
Cost: Use less exclusive materials / Address - Ongoing
Cost: Price vs. Quality, release a budget version / Address - Ongoing
Distribution: Lower shipment cost / Address - Ongoing
IO: Include USB type-C in IO-panel / Address - Ongoing
IO: HDMI in IO-panel not needed / Address - Ongoing
IO: If HDMI in IO-panel, 3 front mounted USBs for VR needed / Address - Ongoing
Presentation: Clarification on what the different tophats could be used for / Address - Ongoing
Presentation: Let expensive test it / Address - Ongoing
Presentation: Dust filters need to be presented how they work and look / Address - Ongoing
Compatibility: Add ODD-support / Pass on to other models - PAUS
Concept: "Bottom hats" / Pass on to other models - PAUS
CMF: Tempered glass window / Pass on to other models - PAUS
Compatibility: Even wider GPU support, 2.5 slot / Pass on to other models - PAUS
Compatibility: Internal PCIe cards in tophat / Pass on to other models - PAUS

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is it still going to be one big extruded piece or something more manufacturable?

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
The latest concept is based on two extruded gables and a stamped (but still heat treated) blade.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Why heat treat? Seems like it's extra expense for no benefit.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
It might be overkill, but we don't want to see these get bent and out of shape. Also threading is stronger and it is a problem with alu cases today that they were out.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's 3-4mm thick isn't it? You don't have to worry about people bending it, but that's a good point about the threads.

Cost: Remove included expensive riser / Address - Ongoing

Personally I think the PCIe extender should be included by default, since it's confusing for end users what is a good one to get and it's necessary to build in the case.

popo2076

Chassis Packer
Apr 15, 2017
It means that i'm look forward to get this case eagerly. (actually pre ver. is perfect to me.)
sometimes I think you are stressed because you want to reflect many people's all requirement in just one case.
but it is impossible and I just think it is good enough to itself and the only one problem is just time and marketing, not case.(at least,just to me.)
as will be a case bender, surely,it is good that improvement of this case for more perfection..

KonradL

Minimal Tinkerer
May 2, 2017
www.fmv.se
I would recommend skipping the heat treatment and instead just anodizing it. It wont get bent and out of shape when using a material thickness above 2 mm even though its aluminum, plus you don't need to apply any paint.
I would recommend using EN AW-5005A H14/H24 aluminum alloy, it has excellent properties for both bending and anodizing, so you can get a nice deep black finish with an anodizing thickness of about 15µ.
Concerning the threading you could use rivet nuts, weld nuts or maybe even try Flowdrilling. <-- click

Just a thought, maybe worth looking into. :)

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
It's 3-4mm thick isn't it? You don't have to worry about people bending it, but that's a good point about the threads.

The blade part of the Spine is 2.5mm thick. Here are some stress test results (FEA Stress Analysis):

6 tons vertical pressure

0.5 tons horizontal force

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
It means that i'm look forward to get this case eagerly. (actually pre ver. is perfect to me.)
sometimes I think you are stressed because you want to reflect many people's all requirement in just one case.
but it is impossible and I just think it is good enough to itself and the only one problem is just time and marketing, not case.(at least,just to me.)
as will be a case bender, surely,it is good that improvement of this case for more perfection..

Yes, glad to hear! We were very happy with prev ver, the updated one has some of these request implemented and is really a much better product. I'll post the full specs in a bit when we have received some more input on the feedback list and do some surveys on the last decisions, colors etc.

Reactions: Biowarejak

KonradL

Minimal Tinkerer
May 2, 2017
www.fmv.se
Not to be critical or something, but those results doesn't mean anything when there are no numbers or units that shows what you are actually displaying with those FEA results. Its just a CAD Model with some colors. :)
And I don't think you have done it correctly anyway, since there is no way you only get that small deformity when applying 500 kg (~5000 N) on the middle like that. Keep in mind that it doesn't display true deformation correctly if you haven't explicitly made the simulation account for large deformations (usually this is only necessary for dynamic simulations such as vehicle crashes etc, or maybe when using rubber).

Anyway, its overkill to use FEM/FEA on such a small structure with 2+ mm material thickness. If you do use FEM/FEA to make it as light as possible then you really have to know how to set it up with the correct boundary conditions and realistic loads (which is the hardest part really).
I can help/guide you if you want (I live in Stockholm).

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I would recommend skipping the heat treatment and instead just anodizing it. It wont get bent and out of shape when using a material thickness above 2 mm even though its aluminum, plus you don't need to apply any paint.
I would recommend using EN AW-5005A H14/H24 aluminum alloy, it has excellent properties for both bending and anodizing, so you can get a nice deep black finish with an anodizing thickness of about 15µ.
Concerning the threading you could use rivet nuts, weld nuts or maybe even try Flowdrilling. <-- click

Just a thought, maybe worth looking into. :)

You sure know alot about aluminium, we are currently discussing the 5XXX and 6XXX with our manufacturer and we will certainly do anodizing where 5xxx is better suited, elegant and cheap. Regarding the treading we need to consider all that is supposed to be mounted, stand-offs etc. and also space efficiency. We have not considered using nuts for the MB, maybe worth doing.