Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
When I set out to consider replacing my current PC I had 2 ideas I wanted to explore: Custom water and dual ethernet for better throughput to my NAS which also has dual ethernet. After doing a Shuttle XPC build 15 or so years ago, I've also typically found a case with lots of room to work in. I was also going to just stick with Intel as I've done in the past. But...

Then I saw a build video with the Ghost S1 and all that went out the window (still half considering customer water, but backing off on that as I'll have enough challenge building in such a small case as it is, and if I did a custom loop, I'd want to do CPU+GPU which gets a bit tricky in the Ghost).

And I had already decided to make the switch to Ryzen before I even considered going SFF.

Thus after careful consideration (and a little bit of SFF case envy), I'm planning to go with this setup:

(Note, I'm more interested in keeping things cool and quiet with no plans to overclock.)

Case: Ghost S1
MB: Asus ROG Strix 570-i
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
GPU: 2080Ti FE
PSU: Corsair SF750
RAM: Vengeance 3600c18
M2_1: Firecuda 520 1TB (system)
M2_2: 970 Evo Plus 1TB (data)
AIO: Fractal Celsius S24
Fan: possibly Noctua 120mm under PSU
Cables: Corsair includes nice sleeved cables, but would prefer custom lengths

All of that is in hand except for the case (checking Amazon stock daily) and the extra fan if I want to go there and figuring out what my options are for cables.

TBD/TBC:

(Yes, I am aware of the dual ethernet board just announced, but it looks like a server board and I don't want to go there. The ASUS board has pretty much all that I think I need except dual ethernet.)

Has anyone used the S24 on that MB in this case and what was the best routing for the tubes and orientation of the pump on the socket?

I've typically used an AIO in push configuration exhausting out the top of the case. This case looks like it does better with negative pressure so an exhaust setup is probably best, but some builds put the cooler on the bottom. I still like the up-top exhaust in theory, but would appreciate insight on that configuration.

I was hoping to get custom cables sized to match. It looks like pslatecustoms.com has some really nice cables cut to the exact length to reach from a SF PSU to the motherboard in this specific case, but they aren't even taking orders until mid to late February, so I suppose I could use the Corsair cables until then. Are there any other suppliers that have cables sized to fit in this case?

Other thoughts and suggestions?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I don't think anyone else is doing the custom bends, that 24 pin alone is worth the expense and the wait. Here is a pic of mine.

Reactions: flar and MarcParis

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
@flar You also could look into jhack's m2427 for the 24 pin cable. Using it with a 9900k, asrock z390, and 32gb of ram and i love it.

Link-

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
The J-Hack does look like it would make the cable routing much easier, but it's a bit beyond my comfort level of customization just to avoid having to find a space to stuff unnecessary wire length.

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
One more question - how long are the motherboard standoffs? I ordered an M.2 for the back of my 570-i and am now wondering if it will fit back there. I can't find an actual measurement and the pictures make it look like it sits rather low against the backplane...?

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
One more question - how long are the motherboard standoffs? I ordered an M.2 for the back of my 570-i and am now wondering if it will fit back there. I can't find an actual measurement and the pictures make it look like it sits rather low against the backplane...?
M.2 sticks sit lower than the port itself, so as long as you don't have a huge heatsink it's going to fit

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
M.2 sticks sit lower than the port itself, so as long as you don't have a huge heatsink it's going to fit

Be careful if you want to use a heatsink on an M.2 drive. M.2 connectors come in several sizes and some are too low to accommodate a heatsink without it making contact with the motherboard or components under the drive.

For example, EKWB has an alert on their M.2 heatsink product page that lists compatibility requirements. This includes M.2 (NGFF) connectors that are 4.2 mm in height. EKWB provides a link to a Quick Reference Guide for M.2 technology that has photos of M.2 connectors of 3 different heights, 2.25 mm, 3.2 mm, and 4.2 mm (page 5).

Reactions: Damascus

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
Thanks, the lower slot will be my Evo Plus which only has the copper sticker heat spreader on it and I chose it because I didn't think it would need a heatsink. The Firecuda is PCIe4 so that will go in the top slot which is ventilated by the chipset fan. Or, at least, that's my plan.

Reactions: Damascus

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
Is there any news on when it will be again available?
Also what was the price?
Thanks
Just in case people are still wondering, Louqe has posted on Twitter that the B4 shipment is already in Amazon's hands and is just waiting for them to post the items now. The B4 cases are already in stock and being sold by their European distributor Proshop.de, but apparently only for European delivery.

Reactions: rfarmer

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
So I had all my parts and wanted to put them together to see if they're all up to snuff while I wait for the cases to show up on Amazon.

I checked at the local Central Computers stores to see if any of them had a cheap test bench to lay out all of the parts on, but no. While I was there I looked through the cases in stock to see if there was a cheap ITX case I could just throw the hardware in for testing while I wait for case and cables. I ended up getting a Fractal Core 500 because it was cheap ($60 compared to about $100 for any reasonable test bench I could find).
  1. This is my second Fractal case build and I just remembered why I was so frustrated last time. Do they assemble the cases with the paint still wet using robots that are built for tightening automotive lug bolts? Much growling and knuckle scraping ensued just trying to disassemble parts of the case. ...not to mention all of the mounting holes blocked partially or completely by some other case part.
  2. The case is twice the dimensions of the Ghost S1, but I just felt like the install was 3 times as hard as I'm anticipating with the Louqe. Time will tell, but fixed panels on a case just aren't really conducive to getting all of the fiddly bits installed everywhere. There were so many times I had to reach around a corner blind and use just my fingernails to seat an 8 pin connector. Maybe I assembled it in the wrong order (I reseated the video card 3 times just because I realized I forgot to do something first and there was no way to reach the points without pulling the card).
  3. I made it. It's assembled. I haven't put the outer case back on yet because I have a feeling that when I power it on, something is going to be rubbing a fan somewhere and I'll need to reach in and push things apart. I'll try it in the morning. (Also, I'm using my old GTX 980 instead of the 2080Ti that's in my current desktop. I'll wait for the final build to do the swap.)
  4. (Edit - forgot to mention) I installed the S24 pump on the CPU in the orientation that I thought would make the best tube routing in the Ghost, but when I went to put it all in the Core, it made for some really bad tube routing. I'll double check in the morning if I see any kinks in the tubes, but they basically do a 360 twirl up to the radiator which is directly above the CPU facing off against each other rather than at the right angle they are usually placed. I also didn't see the fan flow direction when I was following the pictures to install them and so I noticed that I have them pulling air in through the top which is not the flow orientation I want to use in the Ghost.
Hopefully when I get the Ghost it will be an easier transplant operation (though I'll want to reverse the fans).

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

nulio

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2020
Hi all,

Has anyone used a MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER™ GAMING X inside a Louqe Ghost S1?

The GPU is 127 x 44 x 248 mm and the case allows 144 x 45 x 305 mm, so it should fit, but the 1mm tolerance is making me nervous.

Cheers!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hi all,

Has anyone used a MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER™ GAMING X inside a Louqe Ghost S1?

The GPU is 127 x 44 x 248 mm and the case allows 144 x 45 x 305 mm, so it should fit, but the 1mm tolerance is making me nervous.

Cheers!
Looks like it should fit but you are likely to have turbulence.

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
Just in case people are still wondering, Louqe has posted on Twitter that the B4 shipment is already in Amazon's hands and is just waiting for them to post the items now. The B4 cases are already in stock and being sold by their European distributor Proshop.de, but apparently only for European delivery.

Any revisions between B2/B3 and B4?

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
Anyone knows where to get one Louqe?
The German shop only ships within Germany.
Amazon.com doesn't have them.

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
According to the Twitter feed, Proshop has a few mail forwarding services they work with to deal with shipping outside of Germany itself, but they still only accept payment from addresses within EU. Those may work for Italy.