Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
I wrote up a post on my Ghost S1 3900X+2080Ti+full custom water loop over in the builds subforum:

Some items of note:

- Using Koolance NZL-LXG2 low profile elbow fittings to solve clearance issues that others have had
- How to attach 2 tophats in series (using vinyl motherboard standoffs)
- Full parts list of water cooling pieces
- lots of pictures, but here is my imgur album if you want to browse:

Last edited:
Reactions: Shinken1
D

Deleted member 17667

Yes, when I placed the third MB I checked for clearance, all good. It was only sitting on the screws. I even left the SFX Power Supply out of the Ghost S1 to ensure that there is no problem with the power supply as it’s also touching the frame when installed.

Still the board was killed immediately. Happy to sent it free of charge if someone likes to check, but this is definitely a production error.

Okay to be on the fair side, it was in fact my power socket in the wall! I could never had imagined that a power socket in the wall gets defective but it happened. Anyways, nothing to blame about the case here, just wanted to post that and clear my matter.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Okay to be on the fair side, it was in fact my power socket in the wall! I could never had imagined that a power socket in the wall gets defective but it happened. Anyways, nothing to blame about the case here, just wanted to post that and clear my matter.
Well it sucks that you lost 3 motherboards but I am glad to see it wasn't the case to blame.

blindphleb

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2018
Its not mandatory the problem is these cpus have all 95W+ tdp and a low profile cooler doesnt have enough surface area. Theese days heatpipe coolers are so efficient if you have enough space i wouldnt go for aio a noctua U12A is all you need i put a be queit dark rock pro 4 on a 2700x of an friend of mine and thing rocks dead silent 64deg at stock 4 ghz all cores. But thats not an option in the ghost.
I think the biggest problem is the airflow. The mount plate for the aio blocks way too mutch airflow plus you get the hot air from the vga/psu with witch the corsair 750 helps alot it just doesnt produce that mutch heat at peak efficiency.
I plan to water cool the gpu aswell but for that i need another large tophat and a bether graphicscard lets wait for the rtx 3000

Here are some pictures of the custom mountplate:

How did you make that custom mountplate? It looks great!

Max Fischer

Cable Smoosher
Mar 22, 2020
gen 4+ riser etc

Yes! And don’t forget that sweet arctic white!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Still thinking that in 2 (3 from the start) years they cold have fixed the inconsistency in the colors between panels/hats etc. of the SAME batch, even IN the same BOX.

AND in 2 Years with 1MK revision and 4 batches, THEY HAD TO Increase the space on the CPU side to support the L12S and the BS3 (I don't see any excuse on this since the first time. They were still in the early stage of manufacturing when NOCTUA discontinue the L12).

Also, improving the bottom and top panel for more airflow, and even released a 3 slots GPU version. (But this can be skipped of course ;))

Reactions: paulesko

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Still thinking that in 2 (3 from the start) years they cold have fixed the inconsistency in the colors between panels/hats etc. of the SAME batch, even IN the same BOX.

AND in 2 Years with 1MK revision and 4 batches, THEY HAD TO Increase the space on the CPU side to support the L12S and the BS3 (I don't see any excuse on this since the first time. They were still in the early stage of manufacturing when NOCTUA discontinue the L12).

Also, improving the bottom and top panel for more airflow, and even released a 3 slots GPU version. (But this can be skipped of course ;))
As far as i understood Noctua will release again nh-l12...as special edition for Louqe...;)

Reactions: Soul_Est and fabio

sdbruder

Cable Smoosher
Mar 20, 2020
I really think that another slightly bigger version (allowing L12S and 3 slot GPU's) will be really amazing. That *will not add too much volume* and will raise compatability, GPU's are getting fattier and fattier and our CPU's are not getting cooler & colder with time, either.

Reactions: Kundahli

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
That is just a lame comment By Louqe.

Because if this “We want to stay true to our promise that the platform would keep developing without affecting reverse compatibility”, the could have made the platform stronger with replacement part, panels kit, upgrades, etc.

Instead in the next MKIII we will have some countersunk holes and a riser 4.0 that they didn’t even design or manufactured.

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
That is just a lame comment By Louqe.

Because if this “We want to stay true to our promise that the platform would keep developing without affecting reverse compatibility”, the could have made the platform stronger with replacement part, panels kit, upgrades, etc.

Instead in the next MKIII we will have some countersunk holes and a riser 4.0 that they didn’t even design or manufactured.

Hey, its got a Louqe symbol on the PCIe insert of the riser cable. Also, regarding the new cases. No promises but I am not too much of a believer these are original designs. My guess these are from Louqe themselves and will be coming soon. Probably best announced when new gpus are announced possibly Q3 2020.

Here's the one you want which I believe will be the more premium no compromise for most case L12 Ghost s1 edition cooler + 2.7 slot GPU support(should fit an arctic accellero 3). Here's possibly the budget one to come.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey, its got a Louqe symbol on the PCIe insert of the riser cable. Also, regarding the new cases. No promises but I am not too much of a believer these are original designs. My guess these are from Louqe themselves and will be coming soon. Probably best announced when new gpus are announced possibly Q3 2020.

Here's the one you want which I believe will be the more premium no compromise for most case L12 Ghost s1 edition cooler + 2.7 slot GPU support(should fit an arctic accellero 3). Here's possibly the budget one to come.
But was not a comment against you or Louqe, was just a reflection had after following the development from the beginning and having 3 Ghost of different batches.

Of course there are other options and I am already looking at those, but I wish that they have learned to listen the customer and have a better eye on the real market.

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
But was not a comment against you or Louqe, was just a reflection had after following the development from the beginning and having 3 Ghost of different batches.

Of course there are other options and I am already looking at those, but I wish that they have learned to listen the customer and have a better eye on the real market.
I agree but it is what it is. I am more so happy on finally countersunk screws on mk3 grills so I can move the case when using top hats without the grill falling off. Second, if core design and dimensions stay the same. It really gives me hope the add ons will finally be coming.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I agree but it is what it is. I am more so happy on finally countersunk screws on mk3 grills so I can move the case when using top hats without the grill falling off. Second, if core design and dimensions stay the same. It really gives me hope the add ons will finally be coming.
Exactly! I hoped they where saying “is what it is, we don’t care about what you say”.
Knowing their time, when the accessories will be ready there will be a Ghost S2 with all the dimensions changed, and all of these comments and thoughts will have no sense anymore ?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I really enjoyed my watercooled Ghost, thermals and noise levels were very good. I always said if I had it to do over I would air cool it because the Ghost just looks better without a tophat. I decided to spend my stimulus money on a RTX 2080 Super and this gave me a perfect reason to air cool the Ghost. So far thermals and noise levels are not bad and I really like the way it looks. Oh and I picked up a new grill for my Ghost.

newtothegame

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2018
So, 3-4 or more years after their first cancelled kickstarter campaign Louqe says they will finally be producing the product they were going to produce back then, and... they won't support the NH-L12S because it makes much more sense to partner with Noctua and produce a custom L12... Honestly, if it wasn't for their horrible communication skills I could empathise a bit but at this point I think they are just having a good laugh. Good for them, but how on earth do these guys manage to stay profitable?

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
Good for them, but how on earth do these guys manage to stay profitable?

Honestly, it's probably the look of the case; it's got that intangible hype that attracts normal people to a niche hobby. Nothing else looks as polished and non-gamery (from afar). I have my own issues with the case, but it does tick a lot of boxes.

flar

Average Stuffer
Jan 19, 2020
After a few GPU swaps while I was testing the build, building the water loop, pulling it apart to do an RMA on the GPU, etc, etc, the little white plastic piece that locks the rear of the GPU connector into the PCIe "slot" broke. Sad panda.

Are these standard pieces that I might find somewhere, or do I have to go back to Louqe to get one? I suppose it really isn't that critical a piece in the long run given how tightly the fittings hold the GPU bracket to the case, but it might keep the rear of the card a little more steady...?