Prototype The ultraflow - An affordable open testbench

uonen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Introducing the u1ngear ultraflow - an affordable, modular test bench designed for creators, overclockers, and tech enthusiasts. Crafted with durable, powder-coated steel and featuring self-clinching nuts, this flat-packable ultraflow is concept-approved by the manufacturer and ready for production. I am excited to invite you to share your thoughts and suggestions on how we can make this even better.

Highlights

Unrivaled Affordability - ultraflow is designed for accessibility without compromising on features. By utilizing optimized manufacturing methods, on-demand processing, and cost-effective materials, we achieve unmatched affordability without sacrificing quality.

Mod-Ready Platform - Unleash your creativity with modular design. Easily customize and expand your setup using strategically placed mounting points. Add storage solutions, radiator, or extra fan mounts to optimize your system's performance.

Built to Last - ultraflow is built from robust, powder-coated steel for durability, withstanding extensive use and transportation, making it your reliable partner for overclocking and testing.

Effortless Assembly - ultraflow designed for hassle-free assembly. With user-friendly setup, slot components together and secure with standard screws and screwdriver. Industry-standard self-clinch nuts keep components secure, allowing easy adjustments or upgrades without extra tools.

Flat-Pack Convenience - flat-pack design prioritizes both your convenience and the environment. It reduces shipping carbon footprint by efficiently packing multiple units in one shipment, minimizing waste for a cleaner planet.

Concept Renders

Changelog of ultraflow

Version 0.9​

· Initial release

Version 1.0​

· Open-source customizable plate capable of mounting Anti-Vandal Switches ⌀ 12,16,19 and an alternative SDD
· Changed screws to silver color due to black screws were prone to scratching when stripped
· Multi-purpose 9.60 x 3.60mm cable management holes
· Introduction of a new GPU Bracket
· Introduction of a new PSU Bracket

Version 1.1​

· Entirely redesigned Fan Bracket for enhanced sturdiness and improved grip for Anti-Vibration pads
· Transition from Kensington Standard security slot to Nano version
· Modified GPU Bracket
· Completely revamped PSU Bracket for increased durability and simplified mounting process
· Slight increase in size to 5.3L (Excluding protrusions)
· Improved symmetry compared to previous versions
· Enlarged diameter cutout to accommodate standard-sized 6.35mm/1.4inch hollow rubber grommet feet
· New SSD mount location
· Mix-and-match compatibility for all panels (excluding GPU Bracket, PSU Bracket, and Main panel)
· Transitioned all screws and pressed nuts from #6-32 to M3 due to international availability concerns
· Various other minor tweaks and improvements

Version 1.11​

· Modified GPU Bracket for enhanced compatibility with upcoming 4 slot GPUs and addressed sag issues
· Improved chassis rigidity in various areas
· Slight size increase to 5.7L (Excluding protrusions)
· Minor tweaks and improvements to elevate user experience

Version 1.12​

· Modified PSU Bracket for better user experience
· Added support for optional accessories
· Minor tweaks and improvements

Version 1.13​

· Added support for ATX PSU*
· Minor other tweaks and improvements

Version 1.14​

· Enhanced ATX PSU compatibility
· Brought #6-32 screws and pressed nuts back but kept standoffs and motherboard screws still M3
· M3 screws will be supplied in black eliminating the possibility of mixing and matching with #6-32

Last edited:

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Looks interesting. Much nicer than the $15 acrylic Mini-ITX test bench I use right now! 😁

What do you expect the price to be? The only point of comparison I have to this would be the Open Benchtable which I really like but wouldn't use enough to spend $180 on.

The only part that looks like it may be awkward to work with is the PSU. While it looks neat tucked away underneath, it does look like it would be difficult to reach the modular cable connections, and the PSU fan may be blocked. I would also prefer the option of using a larger and cheaper ATX PSU for a test bench.

On your website the heading should either read: "This is ultraflow" or "This is an ultraflow". I think I prefer the first one.

uonen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Thanks Alex, I am basically planning half of cost of BC-1 mini, I do not think working PSU is hard because entire bottom area is open and for PSU airflow underside of the motherboard area have massive cutout you can see from technical drawings and motherboard standoffs around 20mm height so airflow section will be more than fine when fan facing to underside of the motherboard, and ATX PSU yea it would be nice but if bottom compartment widens it collides with motherboard standoffs so it needs to be much more wider pass that standoff, and the website issue I like the first one too let me fix that as well.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
With more than a decade experience of using tech benches (most recently the BC1 and BC1 Mini), may I suggest:-
1. Putting a couple standard size circular openings at some locations of the test benches so as to allow installation of a power switch

2. Without a case's internal airflow, SSD sitting between the CPU HSF and the GPU could experience a 'dead air space' problem, which could be magnified by the Nvidia's Reference Design as 1 of the fan blows hot air right over that area.
Design an allowance of setting up a 40-60mm fan for direct cooling that area.

For the SSD on the mobo's bottom, I see that you are providing taller mobo standoffs so that the 2 side fans might blow part of their airflow underneath the mobo. This is good.

3. Cabling tidiness is crucial for open bench.
Suggest your demo renderings show the cables as well so that potential buyers know what to expect.

uonen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Thank you for providing your past experience with test benches the power switch feedback is noted, I would like know which is more preferred 12mm or 16mm circular power switches, when it comes to NVME overheating I leave many traces to modders if it is needed I can provide something 3D printable so if any user experience that problem can use the mod, and the cable management it can be routed like this user tbh it is up your imagination how it can be routed I leave enough cutouts so it will be fine.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I would try to put a 12mm, 16mm, and 19mm cutout on the bench which should cover the standard sizes used for most of the popular Mini-ITX cases.

Anti-Vandal Power Switches – pslate customs

From looking at the technical drawings I think the easiest place for the switch cutouts would be along the edge where the graphics card goes. They would be visible and easy to press if you were using a 2 slot GPU, and could still be pressed even with a wider graphics card.

The nicest looking place, and easiest to access would be along the side of the frame, although that looks like it may only accommodate a 12mm switch. You could consider supplying a 12mm anti-vandal switch (as an optional extra) with the test bench, which would then only require a single hole to be added for it.

I agree with @tinyitx that having a way to manage cables would make a big difference, especially if this is being used in a workshop for testing faulty motherboards for example. Having each cable held in place near the location it needs to be attached does speed things up.

Ideally you would want this to not only appeal to an enthusiast who may buy one Ultraflow, but rather to PC workshops doing assembly and repairs, or creators with large benchmarking setups, who would buy multiple units to optimize their work areas.

Last edited:

uonen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 17, 2023
The the opposite side of the PSU is empty have cutout so any laser cut plate can be added and secured with screw and nut by listening feedback from you guys I added support wide variety of Anti-Vandal Switches as you can see from renders I added 12mm 16mm 19mm options on that plate but it can be changed and customized for specific needs also I added alterative location for SATA SSD because 37mm long Anti-Vandal Switches collides with it on original location and the workshop situation if I understand correctly you are saying special cut out for each cable issue is if I add special cutout each cable metal that covers cable cutout will be very flimsy because open area is big and I leave massive cutout at underside of motherboard area for easy up CPU cooler swap it requires just custom bracket of PSU removed (literally two screw) to access that area instead removing entire motherboard GPU and other stuff and unscrewing more screws poetically luckily standoff in the perfect location for fixing cables that plays around so the user can basically zip tie the each cable to closes standoff in case of rapid motherboard swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: HWI and AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
The plate with cutouts for switches works well in that position.

I don't think specific cutouts are necessary for cable management. I was thinking more of a series of holes along the side that you could use for attaching zip ties, or a channel that you could run the cables through underneath to the side of the power supply. The channel could also be a separate piece sold as an optional extra for those who want it. Kind of like a bigger version of the cable management you get under some keyboards for routing the keyboard cable to different exit points.

Reactions: uonen

uonen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 17, 2023
That makes sense I added holes in series it can be used to zip tie the cables also it opened opportunity use m3 or #6-32 screws on that holes then can be used for custom brackets (maybe pump/res combo like EK FTL) I rendered demo with fan bracket (idk how useful it is) but in theory can be used anything and opens more doors to modders.

Last edited:

uonen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Yes cables is not going to look clean, it is more of a yes it is possible but it is up to you decide situation, I think one SSD is enough for repair shops who swaps motherboard often, others will use NVME anyways.

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
Just love it.
Please add also a Kensington nano slot - does not cost anything but many just have the smaller nano locks nowadays.

Reactions: uonen

uonen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 17, 2023
I’m glad, your nano slot idea is noted and do not hesitate make more suggestion/improvements I will be happy to hear it.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
It didn't strike me looking at the renderings, but now seeing the fan I can't help thinking it could be risky to attach it like this.
With such a lever between the top of the fan and the screws, a wrong arm movement would easily ply its supports or even break it near the screws.

Maybe thicker support and using longer screws, that go through both holes of the fan frame, could help.
Just a thought...

Can't wait to see the proto populated with a complete set of hardware parts and cables!

Reactions: rfarmer

uonen

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 17, 2023
Instead of wondering, I conducted a test. It appears that the bracket and fan hold up well despite the unrealistic force. However, since the product is in the prototype stage, things can still be tweaked and improved. I will be posting images with different hardware configurations soon.

Reactions: Biowarejak and BaK