The space inefficiency thread

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Prodigy, EATX socket 2011, 3-way SLI TITANs , cpu custom loop watercooling .... Psu on the back of the motherboard.

Edit: Imgur album here

Can those GPUs even run shoved up against each other like that? It perplexes me that someone would run all those cards on air in such a tiny case, especially when they've got a custom loop for their CPU. Granted, I guess those three cards could throttle and be about on par with one card???

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Can those GPUs even run shoved up against each other like that?

What do you think how Quad-SLI looks? They absolutely can, but they will be a little louder. I would argue that using reference cards is better for thermals in this case, but I haven't seen any tests of that.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
What do you think how Quad-SLI looks? They absolutely can, but they will be a little louder. I would argue that using reference cards is better for thermals in this case, but I haven't seen any tests of that.
It's unintuitive to me, but I'll take your word for it. I've definitely seen similar configurations before and it does vex me.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I'd give it good marks for style and finish, those blue braided hoses do look good.
However, it scores highly on the "SI index"* and truly deserves to be in this thread!

*Can we have a Space Inefficiency Index please?? Maybe someyhing as sensible as the the Scoville scale ;)

Reactions: dtallon13

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So by your measures, having a simple water tube or two blocking off a large area from sticking your head into makes it efficient? I personally do not count water cooling components or cables...those are things that should be routed around components in the (hopefully) small spaces between them.
That's true, it could have easily been fitted with a dual-CPU motherboard and another PSU.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Spotted on /r/pcmasterrace:

This build is for a client who has a manufacturing area where anything on the ground has to be on wheels and has to be metal. They needed the build done asap and there was no cap to the budget so i grabbed the first metal case that came with wheels that i saw on amazon.

O_O

EDIT: I mean, if I'm given that, I'd convert the other half into a tool rack or something