Concept The smallest ATX case with support for 2 GPU's.. 13 liters!! (I think)

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
So here I am again with another ATX case, a version 2 you could say of my first prototype build! I have challenged myself to design the smallest ATX case possible, with support for a 240mm radiator. And now it has space for not only one, but two two-slot GPU's! The whole thing is 13.2 liters - 28.6 x 31.5 x 14.6mm (mindblowing..)

I personally don't think two GPU's is a good idea, but I still wanted to make room for two because there are people who have a lot of money haha! But the thing is that it is not only for two GPU's, you could also run it with one GPU and a other PCI-E card, like a 10 gig network card.

So I just wanted to share it to you and here some opinions about the design ;)

Last edited:

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I think the weakes tpoint of the design is the psu location. adding a support bracket there would be a lot impractical

personally I'd switch the gpu and psu locations, as it would allow for the cpu area to be visible

Reactions: OliverRH

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
I think the weakes tpoint of the design is the psu location. adding a support bracket there would be a lot impractical

personally I'd switch the gpu and psu locations, as it would allow for the cpu area to be visible

Yeah maybe that makes more sense. Then the ram and vrm gets a little more cooling

So like this?

Reactions: Kooki and owliwar

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Cooling two air cooled graphics cards with no space between them is not ideal, so you may want to consider adding space between them or a water fill port and reservoir mount for custom loops that could handle them.

I have an old prototype laying around with a similar layout, made from a 2mm steel body and a 3mm steel back panel. It's not in use, but that 3mm steel panel makes a great mousepad.

Reactions: owliwar and el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Make the feet taller: Since a degree of airflow will be coming in through the bottom (GPUs???), might as well add room for the components to breathe.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Given the move to dual axial fan coolers on even reference nvidia cards, does this layout even make sense? It pretty much requires blower cards, but the few that are available from AIB vendors are typically inferior to nvidia's.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I think for one card at least it would -- the axial fans get fresh air straight from the outside. But the second card is totally air starved, blower or axial.

Fruergaard

Trash Compacter
Feb 13, 2018
Is 14.6 cm the internal width?
Seems like you could just have the GFX normally slotted into the motherboard as such (I know 15.0 cm makes it possible (can't remember the internal width of the below build), and with some good bends on custom thin cables it should be possible with 14.6 cm (with reference height GFX cards)):

Then no riser is needed either :-)

Last edited:

OliverRH

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Is 14.6 cm the internal width?
Seems like you could just have the GFX normally slotted into the motherboard as such (I know 15.0 cm makes it possible (can't remember the internal width of the below build), and with some good bends on custom thin cables it should be possible with 14.6 cm (with reference height GFX cards)):

Then no riser is needed either :-)
Yeah I know, and I think it is a overall better idea to not use a riser. But if the is GPU wider than normal, then it will hit the side panel. And then the GPU will suck air in the opposit way than the radiator (if you know what I mean). So by using a riser and turning til GPU 90 degrees, then it will pull air from the side(panel) and the force it out in the direction of the radiator :)

Last edited:

Fruergaard

Trash Compacter
Feb 13, 2018
Yeah I know, and I think it is a overall better idea to not use a riser. But if the is GPU wider than normal, then it will hit the side panel. And then the GPU will suck air in the opposit way than the radiator (if you know what I mean). So by using a riser and turning til GPU 90 degrees, then it will pull air from the side(panel) and the force it out in the direction of the radiator :)

Risers does open up possibilities, however, how much room do you currently have between cards and PSU?

If I needed to have multiple cards in close proximity in such a small case, they would be water cooled (or the core would with AIO).
I rather see the GFX being water cooled than the CPU as for most people in here (gaming) the GFX pulls considerable more power than the CPU.
In some instance it is reversed (extreme core count or OC).

If you want to give good airflow to the GFXs, you could consider moving the PSU to the back above the PCI-e ports, leave the top fans, yet only have support for a 120mm radiator. And then both GFX facing towards the side (though NVlink is a problem unless cables is made?).
This would also leave more room for a potential air CPU cooler. And if only one GFX is used the low GFX space could have mounting options for 240mm radiator (or even bigger air CPU cooler).
And then some mounting options for HDD/SSD behind the upper GFX in front of the PCH .

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
As I noted above, flexible nvlink cables are available on ebay at practically any length.