Power Supply The Seasonic SSP-300SUG fully modular 150mm FlexATX PSU

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
It does not get louder. I have not modified it in any way. I only use one Adapter and no custom harness. I checked it again and experienced the reboot in another game.
Its kind of weird, but Furmark + Prime95 did not Trigger a reboot.
I will contact my retailer now. Thank you

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
I have not heard anything from my retailer yet, buti have some update, which might be interesting.
I read a review of a GPU similar to mine (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-470,4703-6.html). Look at the overall Watt measurement with a oscilloscope. According to their readings the card shows power spikes of about 190W (GPU alone).
Unfortunately i am not able to measure very fast power spikes. But i guess this is, what brings the power supply to its knees. I have also discovered that the wall plug measurement unit can show its maximum measured wattage, which was at 267W for a working case, without a "random" reboot.

But there is good news! And this is now really recommendation, if anyone has similar problems. Undervolt your GPU! As it turns out, the RX470 can be quite easily be undervolted even even without lowering the gpu clock speeds. I was able to lower the voltage from 1.1V to 1V for the highest power mode and also lowered it for the lower power modes.
This not only helps the GPU to stay more often in its higher power mode, but also limits its maximum measured wattage to about 130W (GPU-Z). Before this was at the TDP of 150W, which now is not reached (or only for spikes i cannot measure).
I guess the power spikes are now also a lot smaller, because since this i did not experience any reboot, where i did before.

Still, the SSP-300SUG could be a little quieter. Especially at idle - for me it actually never gets noticeable warmer or changes it fan speed even at load.

So @iFreilicht: Let me know when your Platinum FlexATX PSU is ready. There is really a need for it, without any other feasiable Flex ATX units. DC-DC Solution in the 250W+ regime are just so expensive and i don't want self modified high ampere connectors in my flat..

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Still, the SSP-300SUG could be a little quieter. Especially at idle - for me it actually never gets noticeable warmer or changes it fan speed even at load.

That's interesting. I'm starting to think that I've made a mistake with the cable harness or had a faulty unit. Either way, the 500W seem like the better bet, even without full modularity.

So @iFreilicht: Let me know when your Platinum FlexATX PSU is ready.

Have you answered the survey and/or watched the thread for it? Because in that case, you'll get notified no problem. :)

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
That's interesting. I'm starting to think that I've made a mistake with the cable harness or had a faulty unit. Either way, the 500W seem like the better bet, even without full modularity.
Yeah, seems this would have been better for me as well. Maybe the 300W Seasonic just doesn't handle fast power spikes very good. I think my "load" is actually more like ~200W in a 10s average. Probably thats also why i doesn't really gets hot or loud.

Have you answered the survey and/or watched the thread for it? Because in that case, you'll get notified no problem. :)

I did, and will wait patiently ;)

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
So, after digging around and searching for alternatives i settled on modding my SSP-300SUG, which was too loud. The fan made some annoying bearing noises/clicks..
So i bought two Sunon 40mm x 20mm fans with VAPO bearings, which are said to be very quiet. The original fan of the PSU has a very high maximum rpm of ~10000rpm. The data of my new fans are:

Sunon FAN-ML 4020-12:
MagLev motor with VAPO bearings
27,5 dB
12 V, 0.115 A, 1.38 W
10.8 CFM
8200 rpm
2.99€ at reichelt.de

Sunon FAN-ML 4020-12 S
12.8 dB
12 V, 0.046 A, 0.6 W
5.5 cfm
4700 rpm
1.99€ at reichelt.de

Reichelt also has the fitting connectors for the PSU, which i soldered on the wires.
First i tried the 8200 rpm fan, which is much closer in transported air to the original fan. But it is still quite loud, so i quickly changed for the 4700rpm fan.
This one is very silent. At a 15cm distance i can hear a small clicking noise, but if my PC side panel is on, i can not hear my PC anymore (The only other fan is a Noctua NF-A9x14).

Well, one might of course get anxious, because of the greatly reduced airflow. My system (RX470(undervolted) + i5-6500) draws about 200W at load (Furmark + Prime). After about 20min stress in an open case, the PSU had acording to my infrared thermometer a temperature of about 30°C.

For now i am very happy with that solution.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Sunon FAN-ML 4020-12:
27,5 dB
12 V, 0.115 A, 1.38 W
10.8 CFM
8200 rpm
2.99€ at reichelt.de

Sunon FAN-ML 4020-12 S
12.8 dB
12 V, 0.046 A, 0.6 W
5.5 cfm
4700 rpm
1.99€ at reichelt.de

I wouldn't recommend using either of those. The original fan, the ADDA AD0412XB-C73GP has 13CFM, while your best one has 10.8. There's real danger of the PSU overheating. The 5.5CFM won't be sufficient enough for sure.

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
I wouldn't recommend using either of those. The original fan, the ADDA AD0412XB-C73GP has 13CFM, while your best one has 10.8. There's real danger of the PSU overheating. The 5.5CFM won't be sufficient enough for sure.
Jup, thanks for your suggestion. I will keep a close eye on the temperatures. Hopefully in future there will be a small & silent (and reasonably cheap) PSU, which does not require modding.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Although you said a 80mm fan mod wouldn't be great but what if I were to just place a 80mm fan on top of the vents? No big mods. Something like http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13659/fan-894/Evercool_80mm_x_10mm_Fan_EC8010M12CA.html this has 22.4 CFM tops which is quite a lot.

Also, what would be a great Flex ATX PSU around 350W or above for a 80mm mod? What about this one? https://seasonic.com/product/ss-350-m1u-active-pfc-f0/ a bit longer but that's not a problem for me, it's the same 81.5 x 40 otherwise.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
You could do that, and considering the size difference a bit of lost perfomance wouldn't matter too much. I think that latter PSU would work quite well if you made the cutout in the middle or duct the fans airflow in through the front.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Just looking at sorting out some custom looms for SSP-300SUG.

Was thinking, 24pin ATX, 4+4pin ATX12V/EPS12V, 6+2pin PCI-E, 4 SATA, 1 Molex.

Any thoughts?

iFreilicht, I have 3 variable loads, 1100W total load potential. I'll happily load up an SSP-300SUG here if you wish to see how it runs at max known load, then perhaps overload it to see when the Over Power Protection kicks in.

My developing load test rig is not quite a Chroma tester, and won't be unless someone sends me a big juicy cheque out the blue.

Reactions: Phuncz

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
I'm also eying up getting a FLIR One Gen 3 this month once they get the version in to stock with Micro USB so PSU hot spots etc can be viewed.

Div

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 20, 2017
Hi! I looked on your custom pinout. Can't understand, where is third +12 on PEG-6? And 4 +12 on PEG-8

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hi! I looked on your custom pinout. Can't understand, where is third +12 on PEG-6? And 4 +12 on PEG-8

They don't exist. PEG-6 only has two +12V pins, the one in the middle (pin 2) is not connected (but some GPU and PSU builders populate that with +12V these days), and PEG-8 fills pin 2 but only has a total of three +12V pins as well.

Take a look at the PEG-6 pinout and PEG-8 pinout.

jpmomo

Trash Compacter
Feb 23, 2018
does anyone know if i only need the 24pin, can i just use a "standard" 24pin male-male with this psu?
thanks,
jp

Jonas157x

What's an ITX?
Mar 5, 2019
Hello guys, I want build Ultra mini HTPC, i have this components: G4400 + 4GB ram + 120gb ssd + arctic 12 lp. I will made custom diy wooden HTPC case, but i dont now what psu take. SFX is big. And Pico PSU from aliexpress seems not good. So i find on eshop Seasonic 250w SSP-250SUB 80+ bronze its flex ATX PSU. So i want ask you it is good PSU for this HTPC? I want mini silent HTPC. Thx for answer