Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well, this is probably too late now but I highly reccomend the case be widened a centimeter for bigger CPU coolers. I've been trying for the last week to tame a i7-8700 non k with a L9i. After installing a far louder 2000rpm fan, I'm still in the 90c range with lots of CPU speed throttle / fluctuation. Coffe Lake runs really hot and there aren't a lot of sub 65mm CPU coolers out there that can even try to run it.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Well, this is probably too late now but I highly reccomend the case be widened a centimeter for bigger CPU coolers. I've been trying for the last week to tame a i7-8700 non k with a L9i. After installing a far louder 2000rpm fan, I'm still in the 90c range with lots of CPU speed throttle / fluctuation. Coffe Lake runs really hot and there aren't a lot of sub 65mm CPU coolers out there that can even try to run it.

Just curious, what other <= 65mm coolers you've tried?

Ever tried Noctua NH-L9x65? That one is 65mm.

Also, MI-6 CPU cooler clearance is actually 68mm, so I'll try it with my Noctua NH-L12 later, which is 66mm tall without top fan.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017

I have a 65W Ryzen 1700 with a Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet (AM4 brackets made by me) and I barely reach 61°C with Prime95 and 65°C with Prime95 + Fumark, 35°C maximum on 1080p gaming.
Maybe you have the widepread Tim problem. You can resolve with delidding only.

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The NH-L9i struggled with the 7700k, the 8700k is basically the 7700k but with 50% more cores, I don't think it's a suitable cooler if you want to maintain at least stock clocks for this CPU.

The NH-L12 and Scythe Big Shuriken will give you the best chance of avoiding throttling. I've seen results of people managing some very minor overclocks with the Shuriken on a 6700k, but as mentioned above that had 50% less cores. I don't think you will be doing any overclocking with the 8700k with a sub 70mm cooler even in open air.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yeap.. in short, in SFF world, there's always a trade-off between size, noise, temperature, and power.

(Not to mention the limited component choices that we have)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The NH-L9i struggled with the 7700k, the 8700k is basically the 7700k but with 50% more cores, I don't think it's a suitable cooler if you want to maintain at least stock clocks for this CPU.

The NH-L12 and Scythe Big Shuriken will give you the best chance of avoiding throttling. I've seen results of people managing some very minor overclocks with the Shuriken on a 6700k, but as mentioned above that had 50% less cores. I don't think you will be doing any overclocking with the 8700k with a sub 70mm cooler even in open air.

I think you are right. My original plan was to use an i5 8400 with the MI-6 just to avoid cooling problems, but when I had a chance to get an i7 8700k for $250 I had to grab it. I have it installed in my Ncase now with a Dark Rock TF and during stress tests I am getting 58C - 62C which is not bad at all, that is with no overclock. I think a delid will be necessary for use in the MI-6

Reactions: Biowarejak

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Just curious, what other <= 65mm coolers you've tried?

Ever tried Noctua NH-L9x65? That one is 65mm.

Also, MI-6 CPU cooler clearance is actually 68mm, so I'll try it with my Noctua NH-L12 later, which is 66mm tall without top fan.

Right now just the L9i. This is on the 8700 65watt (supposedly). I have a 77 watt i5-3550 running on an L9i and it stays very cool. Bottom line is that the Coffeelakes are putting out a ton of heat. I think I can cool it with an AXP 100 or similar, but that needs 70mm space. With a bottom mount fan, it would be fairly quiet.

I'm hoping to hear of someone using the NH-L9x65 before I invest a bunch of money into it. Hopefully it does well, but I don't think it will.

LeMoNH3aD

Average Stuffer
Oct 25, 2017
Leaning towards the Ryzen 7 1700 and a NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 if it fits without a ton of noise turbulence being that it will be very close to the side of the case.

Reactions: Minefoxi

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Ok, I got the samples from the fabricator (!)
I am busy doing dimension checks, fit checks, etc, but here are a few pics I snapped of parts and checks and such.

(3M riser used for fit check, since I didn't have a LiHeat yet with the correct connector direction)

These pics are using the photography light stand I'm still setting up and such, so they aren't polished pics yet.

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Dimensions are looking very good so far. Checking all dims with either measurements or fit check to mating part, or both. Found a couple m3 threaded holes that had a thread problem, and need to adjust a dim slightly to make sure the top plate always fits correctly.

The only other issue is the brushed anodized finish
The brushing is a bit coarse to the touch, so I'll have a finer brushing done.

Powdercoating on chassis looks great.
Workmanship on slotted holes is great.
Front I/O and gpu fit great.
Surrogate riser fits great.
Next up is MB fit check that I will do tonight.

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
Holy moly!! I was finding myself unsure if I was still looking at renders, but no!:D I was sceptical about how the brushing would look, and even though you mention it's a bit coarse, I must say it looks really good. You just got me STOKED once again man :D

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Holy moly!! I was finding myself unsure if I was still looking at renders, but no!:D I was sceptical about how the brushing would look, and even though you mention it's a bit coarse, I must say it looks really good. You just got me STOKED once again man :D
Thanks for the feedback!
Been fighting with an old dslr camera I am using. Tough to get good detail. I think the camera is just crummy enough to give a low detail shot that smears imperfections. Lol

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I don't have time this morning to do much of an update, but I'll do more this evening.

For now I give you: lighted LED.

It's actually less white and more blue. The camera just doesn't see that too well.

I built up a computer in this sample case and started doing thermal testing.

Reactions: Jonny727272

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
Even with an old dslr you should be able to do a manual HDR photo, as long as you mount it on something..

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Even with an old dslr you should be able to do a manual HDR photo, as long as you mount it on something..

Good point. I hadn't looked into HDR and using exposure bracketing and photoshop merging to do the same thing. I put an HDR photo on the first page at the top. I'll add more as I process them.