Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
Got the card! unfortunately it’s not playing nicely with the original riser cable. Tested with an extra cable i had. It worked, but it’s way too short so i’m on the hunt for a new one

edit: just ordered the loque cobalt rc260 (thanks for already testing @Revenant ), should be here tuesday :D

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Got the card! unfortunately it’s not playing nicely with the original riser cable. Tested with an extra cable i had. It worked, but it’s way too short so i’m on the hunt for a new one

edit: just ordered the loque cobalt rc260 (thanks for already testing @Revenant ), should be here tuesday :D

What are the specs of the rest of your system? I did have issues with this setup, but it's related to the AMD stuttering issue when set to PCIE 4.0 for the GPU. It's unrelated to my card or cobolt cable. If you're running an AMD 500 series system you may have to set the graphics card to PCIE 3.0 to avoid the issue. You should be able to still use resizeable bar though.

Last edited:

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
Great review :) Still sure some undevolt would help, but with fans running above 2500rpms it might be to much to ask to get i silent.

Do we have some pci-e risers that we know works? both in length and specs?

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
What are the specs of the rest of your system? I did have issues with this setup, but it's related to the AMD stuttering issue when set to PCIE 4.0 for the GPU. It's unrelated to my card or cobolt cable. If you're running an AMD 500 series system you may have to set the graphics card to PCIE 3.0 to avoid the issue. You should be able to still use resizeable bar though.
Got it working with the original riser cable. My problem was it wasn’t posting at all and as you said i had to manually set the pcie to gen 3 in the bios

for the record i’m using gigabyte b550i aorus pro, ryzen 5600x, corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz (2x8gb)

Reactions: Revenant

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Got it working with the original riser cable. My problem was it wasn’t posting at all and as you said i had to manually set the pcie to gen 3 in the bios

for the record i’m using gigabyte b550i aorus pro, ryzen 5600x, corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz (2x8gb)

That's a nice setup. 5600X is the perfect CPU for this case in my opinion. I have one in my Ghost S1 and it's perfect for gaming. I also prefer Gigabyte over MSI for mainboards.

Let me know if you can set it up for PCIE 4.0 when the new cable comes. I'm having issues with that stuttering issue. Everything else works as expected though. Also, don't worry if you can't. This card works identically at 3.0 16X speeds. By the time 4.0 speeds become necessary for it, the 5000 series will be out and you'll be upgrading anyway.

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
Aah i cancelled the cable order for now, gonna poke around to see what i can find about 4.0 compatability (which seems to be hit or miss). The loque cable might have worked but I wanted to at least get 3.0 working and glad i was able to

quick note regarding the gigabyte b550i:

i clipped off a small piece of plastic from the built-in io shield mount/heatsink that wrapped around one of the mounting screws because it collided with a metal part on the case. This prevented the mother board from sitting correctly. I tried removing the entire plastic piece but it was more complicated than anticipated so i went with the lazy option because i won’t actually see it ever (and i don’t plan on reselling later). I suppose i could have looked into shorter standoffs but i’m too excited and didn’t want to wait lol

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Aah i cancelled the cable order for now, gonna poke around to see what i can find about 4.0 compatability (which seems to be hit or miss). The loque cable might have worked but I wanted to at least get 3.0 working and glad i was able to

quick note regarding the gigabyte b550i:

i clipped off a small piece of plastic from the built-in io shield mount/heatsink that wrapped around one of the mounting screws because it collided with a metal part on the case. This prevented the mother board from sitting correctly. I tried removing the entire plastic piece but it was more complicated than anticipated so i went with the lazy option because i won’t actually see it ever (and i don’t plan on reselling later). I suppose i could have looked into shorter standoffs but i’m too excited and didn’t want to wait lol

No worries. Enjoy the rig!

Also, I once had to dremel the backplate of a brand new gpu to get it to fit with mainboards built-in IO shield.

aneasyusername

Cable Smoosher
Dec 27, 2017
Anyone still following this thread looking for an MI-6? I moved my build out of it long ago and held onto it thinking I may use it again, but realistically I don't think that I will.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Well, call it an end of an era but I will be moving my editing rig out of my Gen 1 CCD MI-6. It's served me well, but it was time to make a change. I simply need more cooling than the case can provide, and honestly, I need to change things up. So I will be using this:

02AB2FC0-4B1B-4642-AE6E-2C9A7567119F.jpeg

A Gen 3 CCD MI-6…with the 25mm fan top hat. 😁

Attachments

• 93B6F33F-EBF9-44D2-947F-A0BC44550EAE.jpeg
    93B6F33F-EBF9-44D2-947F-A0BC44550EAE.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 11

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Well, call it an end of an era but I will be moving my editing rig out of my Gen 1 CCD MI-6. It's served me well, but it was time to make a change. I simply need more cooling than the case can provide, and honestly, I need to change things up. So I will be using this:

View attachment 1516

A Gen 3 CCD MI-6…with the 25mm fan top hat. 😁

curious to see what kind of temp/noise improvement the top-hat can bring.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
@firewolfy

I swapped my 5950X / 3060ti build into the white case, and put a 120x25mm fan in the loft. Huge improvement to GPU cooling.

Case looks amazing, though I might swap to white screws. What size are they?

When you designed the MI-6, did you ever think people would be stuffing 16 core CPUs in it ?! LOL

Thanks for getting the painting done so well.

B76CAB4D-F77B-4C77-9636-77045EE66D50.jpeg

F46EFBED-0991-4B69-BDB2-C2BEA3A538BD.jpeg

9949198E-1DAB-4A45-ABA7-4F9D8A6EF402.jpeg

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Looks great @Revenant, I really tried to get @firewolfy to sell me a white case in the first batch, couldn't talk him into it though. I think white screws would look great if you can match them. I forget, which cooler are you using?

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Looks great @Revenant, I really tried to get @firewolfy to sell me a white case in the first batch, couldn't talk him into it though. I think white screws would look great if you can match them. I forget, which cooler are you using?

Noctua L12S.

Don’t feel bad about the first batch. Those are the only aluminum ones. 😀

Reactions: rfarmer

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Are you talking about the case itself, or are you talking about the screws? The case material wasn't changed after the first batch, was it?

Case material was changed from anodized aluminum to painted aluminum. First batch are the only ones with the anodized aluminum shell.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Case material was changed from anodized aluminum to painted aluminum. First batch are the only ones with the anodized aluminum shell.
It was changed half way through because there were problems with the anodizing, my batch 1 was powder coated.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018

It was changed half way through because there were problems with the anodizing, my batch 1 was powder coated.

Thanks. I misunderstood. I thought you meant the material was not aluminum for the case or the screws were not steel. My batch 1 case is also powder-coated. The powder-coating on the batch 2's was greatly improved (I also have a batch 2 shell and top plate).

Reactions: rfarmer