Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
@Revenant : I don't want to come off as a wise-ass :) But you have to do per-core curve optimization. There's a huge difference between how much undervolt each core can handle. My cores are at -21, -28, -28, -1, -28, -28.. So you see if I went all-core I might be limited to -1, because of one hungry core. All things said, you may gain a lot of those last 10-15% back (I think).

/eggDK

I’ll swing back to that eventually. I just don’t have the time to dedicate to that right now. 👍🏻

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Hey @firewolfy, did you take down the CCD MI-6 website? I wanted to check to see if the ASUS Phoenix RTX 3060 12G would fit (it's 51 mm thick--2.55 slot width, so I don't think so), but my browser says "this site can't be reached."

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hey @firewolfy, did you take down the CCD MI-6 website? I wanted to check to see if the ASUS Phoenix RTX 3060 12G would fit (it's 51 mm thick--2.55 slot width, so I don't think so), but my browser says "this site can't be reached."

I don't think so - In the first page of this thread, there's this text:

"...Accepts full-height, 2-slot GPUs with max length 190mm and width 40mm (43mm with backplate)..."

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Firewolfy doesn't check in all that often anymore. However, we're always willing to help, and he left a wealth of info on the first page of the thread.

"Built for mini-ITX GPUs. Accepts full-height, 2-slot GPUs with max length 190mm and width 40mm (43mm with backplate). Clearance for PEG connectors on top."

It looks like the Asus card won't work. I have an MSI 1070 in mine that I want to replace. It seems like it will have to be with another MSI card.

Reactions: Engr62

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I found the other day that there was a mix up in the domain registration. Fixed it, so you should be able to access it.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear from you again.

Out of curiosity, and I’m not asking you to come out of retirement, but how hard would it be to do a stretch on the case to support 200mm GPUs?

😝

Reactions: rfarmer

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hey there Rev.
Well the idea is a great one, to open up the possible GPUs that will fit.
But, I remember looking into it, and it requires changes to every major part of the case. The cover is longer and needs more vent area, so a whole new program on the punch press and the bender. Same is true for the chassis itself and the center divider. The model would need enough volume to run it as a stand-alone, maybe 200 cases.

So that's where things fall off the rails, lol.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hey there Rev.
Well the idea is a great one, to open up the possible GPUs that will fit.
But, I remember looking into it, and it requires changes to every major part of the case. The cover is longer and needs more vent area, so a whole new program on the punch press and the bender. Same is true for the chassis itself and the center divider. The model would need enough volume to run it as a stand-alone, maybe 200 cases.

So that's where things fall off the rails, lol.

Yeah...that's not worth it, and there is very little to gain with such a small increase as just a few more GPUs will be compatible, and it's still capped at 3060ti. That leads to the complicated question of just where is the line drawn on the GPU length. It's easy to get caught in the "just a little bit more" mindset. Do you go to 205mm for 3060ti or go 235mm for 3070? Do you even stay as a sandwich layout? Next thing you know you've accidentally redesigned the NCASE M1, A4-SFX, H200, or Meshalicious.

Then you have everything else; feature creep, size creep, time and effort, testing, production cost, shipping, and warranty.

As a product it’s starting over. As a thought experiment, well it could be interesting. So let’s leave it there and pretend for a moment.

At $300 a pop for 200 minimum that's a $60K minimum, plus a few extra for defects and shipping damage. I don't think you would hit that goal for a only a 200mm 3060ti expansion despite my initial enthusiasm. There is a lot of pent up demand for the MI-6, but the GPU market is ravaged. You simply can't get a GPU that fits it right now.

It would have to support the 3070 and at least the L12S for the CPU. So 240mm to give a little breathing room for the smallest RTX 3070 I know of (Zotac "mini" 3070). It opens the door to a number of 2060s, 2060tis, 2070s, 3060s, 3060tis, and one 3070. Add 2 more mm to the length and you get a second page on New Egg of compatible cards. But every mm more the case looses its....spirit.

That would put the case at a depth of 256mm and a 26.1% increase in depth. CCD MI-256? CCD MI-6 XL?

That would probably get 200 orders over a few months, especially if the 120mm AIO top hat was still available. I'd buy 2. Then again I have a case collection or "problem" according to my wife.

It's certainly easier to wait until the 4000 series and hopeful stabilization of the GPU market though.

1626593911868.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello and firewolfy

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Anyone have any luck finding/upgrading to a current gen card? My 1070 is still rocking with no problems but I'd like to upgrade, however I can't find any ITX cards in Canada.

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
Newegg actually has the 3060 aero @730usd, never seen the 3060 TI. I wonder if MSI been producing ITX in nubers at all? Optimum tech surly would had a review up if it was?

curious to se what the 6600 xt brings, asrock has an ITX modell. link

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Newegg actually has the 3060 aero @730usd, never seen the 3060 TI. I wonder if MSI been producing ITX in nubers at all? Optimum tech surly would had a review up if it was?

curious to se what the 6600 xt brings, asrock has an ITX modell. link
I can’t find it on New Egg. Do you have a link to this MSI Unicorn? 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: leifeinar

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I wonder if/when we'll get normal pricing for cards. I paid $600 Canadian years ago for my first 1070 that I traded for the MSI. Would be nice to have those prices again lol.

Reactions: Revenant

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I assume what affects us is the chip shortage, not exactly miners - because generally speaking, miners aren't interested in single-fan cards, right?

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I assume what affects us is the chip shortage, not exactly miners - because generally speaking, miners aren't interested in single-fan cards, right?

Miners will take any card. Typically, they undervolt/underclock a little bit. The ITX cards get better value on the second hand market which helps with their calculated return on investment.

The power supply market has recovered, the mainboard market has recovered, the cpu market has recovered, and even the console market has recovered. The only thing that hasn't is the GPU market. At this point it seems like that high demand from miners, scalpers, and gamers combined with scalping bots and direct sales to miners are the driving force for the reason we can't get a new GPU.

• Sad
Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
S
Miners will take any card. Typically, they undervolt/underclock a little bit. The ITX cards get better value on the second hand market which helps with their calculated return on investment.

The power supply market has recovered, the mainboard market has recovered, the cpu market has recovered, and even the console market has recovered. The only thing that hasn't is the GPU market. At this point it seems like that high demand from miners, scalpers, and gamers combined with scalping bots and direct sales to miners are the driving force for the reason we can't get a new GPU.

Hmmm if it's true then it's really a sad situation.

Like many of you know, I have no need for top end GPU. But I do want to upgrade when it's necessary a few years in the future. Hopefully the market will be much better at that time.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

at least in China you can currently get almost any GPU you want and prices are dropping by 10,- to 20,- USD every week since some time now... still way overpriced but the supply is there...

you could even get the just released Colorful 3060 Mini OC if you'd be ready to pay 630,- USD for this card

one big factor that is currently impacting availability and prices around the world (not only for GPUs) is a another ongoing crisis:

Reactions: NinoPecorino

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
Mixed reviews for the 6600 xt. TDP seems great just over 150w for 2070 super preformance., with some careful undervolting and an MSI aero cooler this would be awsome. Just need normall prices :)