Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Any news about the next production?? I have arrived too late!

Or some left??

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Btw, what's the official CPU clearance area? I'm actually considering to get either one of Cryorig C7 or NH-L9x65.

Performance difference is marginal, with C7 footprint at 97 x 97mm wide but only 47mm tall (means I can use it in other slimmer SFF cases), while the NH-L9x65 is 65mm tall but smaller footprint at 95 x 95mm (which can only be used in my MI-6 and perhaps other slightly bigger SFF cases).

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
The NH-L12S won't work in the MI-6 anyway. It's 70mm tall. You can run the NH-L12 (non-S) without the top fan (only the bottom 92mm fan) in the MI-6.
The L12S does fit in this case, it's the cooler probably most people are going with. You might just need to bend it a little bit, but nothing that should cause an issue.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The L12S does fit in this case, it's the cooler probably most people are going with. You might just need to bend it a little bit, but nothing that should cause an issue.

Officially there's 66mm room before you hit the cover.

The reason NH-L12S (70mm) fits is because manufacturing tolerance (in both the cooler & case) creates extra room, as well as bending things here and there.

Your mileage may vary.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Officially there's 66mm room before you hit the cover.

The reason NH-L12S (70mm) fits is because manufacturing tolerance (in both the cooler & case) creates extra room, as well as bending things here and there.

Your mileage may vary.
Well, I tried to fit a Raijintek Pallas (68mm height) with no luck. I wouldn't want to flex the NH-L12S that much to get it in there.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Well, I tried to fit a Raijintek Pallas (68mm height) with no luck. I wouldn't want to flex the NH-L12S that much to get it in there.

You can check Tek Everythings video, he successfully installed the NH-L12S in the MI-6.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018

You can check Tek Everythings video, he successfully installed the NH-L12S in the MI-6.

Touché @rfarmer. I guess it helps to have the fan under the heat sink. I got the case cover on over my Pallas, but the fan rubbed against the case. I can't imagine getting a cooler that's 2mm taller than the Pallas in there, but apparently you can. I'd just get the NH-L12 to be safe--plus, better RAM clearance.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Touché @rfarmer. I guess it helps to have the fan under the heat sink. I got the case cover on over my Pallas, but the fan rubbed against the case. I can't imagine getting a cooler that's 2mm taller than the Pallas in there, but apparently you can. I'd just get the NH-L12 to be safe--plus, better RAM clearance.

I would have gone for the NH-L12 but when I did my build it had been discontinued and hadn't been brought back by Noctua yet. Was nice for them to restock the cooler, it is a perfect fit for the MI-6.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Went to the sheet metal shop today to check status.
Reviewed some finished part samples. They looked great!
They are still working on the main chassis, so I didn't review that yet, but here are some other parts.

Clockwise from top: Cover, top plate, cover support, 3.5"mount.

--Fire

EDIT - fixed pic.

thel3igo

Trash Compacter
Nov 4, 2018
Went to the sheet metal shop today to check status.
Reviewed some finished part samples. They looked great!
They are still working on the main chassis, so I didn't review that yet, but here are some other parts.

Clockwise from top: Cover, top plate, cover support, 3.5"mount.

--Fire

EDIT - fixed pic.
Looks like they are coming along well. Very sleek. Seems like a lot of work though. What is next for you after this production run (a break would be nice)? I recall there being talk about making lofts for AIOs and pull-fans...

Reactions: fabio and rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

The Inno3d does in fact fit in the MI-6 and a lot easier to install than I had feared.

Had a chance to pick up the Inno3d and seeing as the Gigabyte and MSI are not yet available I decided to take a chance. The card is slightly too long, I would guess 2mm. But I was able to push the front of the frame over slightly and push the card into place. I did have to remove the riser mount and reattach after I had the card in place.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015

The Inno3d does in fact fit in the MI-6 and a lot easier to install than I had feared.

Had a chance to pick up the Inno3d and seeing as the Gigabyte and MSI are not yet available I decided to take a chance. The card is slightly too long, I would guess 2mm. But I was able to push the front of the frame over slightly and push the card into place. I did have to remove the riser mount and reattach after I had the card in place.

Wow great job!
A tight fit, but the cooling fins run vertical, so the end being blocked shouldn't matter much for airflow and cooling, right?

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Nice fit @rfarmer , I'm very jealous, but I'm going to wait until the next gen AMD gpus are released to see if upgrading from my 1070 will be worthwhile, ie. I'm waiting for real benchmarks, not these leaks that have been coming out slowly.

Reactions: Prothea