Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Quick update --
Still waiting on getting the power button cap 3D printed. A friend is diong it so I have to wait for him to have some free time.
Getting a few front plates brushed this week, so I can get them anodized next week.
Hoping to bend 2 more covers this weekend, then get them powdercoated.
And waiting on a prototype quote to get 2 sets made as final pre-production units.

That's it for now. Stay safe out there....

jmsantos1983

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 12, 2017
It would be nice to see a option to get a vertical slim optical disc drive with this case. But would it save space to use a HDPlex psu?
HDD and/or SSD, can they be mounted on the case panels?
I would still buy the case as it looks right now. The smaller and more powerful the case is, the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Keep on keeping on. Thanks for the update and adding me to the early interest list. I stand by my statement that if you can build this I will build a system with it.:cool:

Cheers

Reactions: Biowarejak

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
As far as a HDplex psu, I haven't considered designing for it in the MI-6 model. But, if you wanted to you could use it in place of the SFX, and make a custom cover plate for the back SFX opening and for the power connector.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
The Saturday update------
Had several front plates brushed and then 2 black anodized. Surface finish is too rough, so I'll have to talk to the shop about changing their settings.
I did form 2 more covers from laser-cut sheet. They are the large horizontal slot style and they turned out well. I'll get them powder coated in the next few days. One will be black texture powder coated and the other deep blood/crimson red, along with the hex mesh.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Ok, I have an update, woo hoo! Got back the 2 powdercoated covers. I also got couple front plates PC'd too to see how they would look.

I also got a 3d printed power button this evening. My buddy printed it in green rather than black, so the features are easier to see and check. The button has a thin center circle that allows the power led to shine thru. The production intent is translucent black.

So here is the gloss textured front plate, semigloss textured cover, and the power button. (That's a Noctua 92mm HS on the CPU that looks so tiny.)

And here is a pic with the power off --

I think the front texture is a bit too big and glossy. I'll get the other front plate on tomorrow and post a pic of that.
Thx

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Ok - firstly, looks AMAZING.

Paint wise, I agree with both of you, a finer grain size would be better, and also think Matt might be the way to go with this one.

Beautiful stuff though. Early days, but do you have any idea when you might be in a position to do a first run for sale?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
No complain functionality wise.

However, aesthetically;
1. I agree that smoother grain + matte coating of the front plate would look better. Make it the same like the body.
2. Don't hate me for this, but the exhaust bars makes me think of some toaster :). Kindly keep us updated for different exhaust alternatives.
3. IMO x padding can be made wider, to be the same like y.

My 2 cents. Cheers!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
No complain functionality wise.

However, aesthetically;
1. I agree that smoother grain + matte coating of the front plate would look better. Make it the same like the body.
2. Don't hate me for this, but the exhaust bars makes me think of some toaster :). Kindly keep us updated for different exhaust alternatives.
3. IMO x padding can be made wider, to be the same like y.

My 2 cents. Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback bro. I am on the same page with you on a smoother, more matte finish.

Hey now, good looking toasters are tough to find you know, lol. I don't think of a toaster any more since I got away from the vent look on top. I am planning on a prototype of the round holes pattern, so we can take a look at that and see if it would look better.

As far as edge distance, I did move the top in a bit a while back to make it look better. Can't go much more though, since I want to keep the GPU top exit air heading straight out.

Thx man

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Ok, I have a couple more pics --

Here is the case from last night, but a close up with the power LED on so you can see what I am going for there. A small light circle in what will be a black button:

This evening I took off the front plate and removed the power/USB and I/O board from the case. Then I installed the 2nd plate from the powdercoater. It is the satin with fine texture: --my phone camera kinda stinks, so apologies for that--

Reactions: yawacool and murrgz

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hey now, good looking toasters are tough to find you know, lol.

There are beautiful toasters out there indeed, but usually the extraordinary price tags will keep me away :)

I am planning on a prototype of the round holes pattern, so we can take a look at that and see if it would look better.

Thanks. Looking your earlier exhaust pattern options, I guess different patterns might visually help with such asymmetry. :thumb:

As far as edge distance, I did move the top in a bit a while back to make it look better. Can't go much more though, since I want to keep the GPU top exit air heading straight out.
Thx man

I don't think providing direct exhaust path exactly on top would help that much, because 1) It's just minimal difference in distance 2) It also depends on CPU & GPU fins orientation. I checked these ITX GPUs: R9 Nano, Zotac 1050ti, Zotac 1060, Asus 1050ti & RX550, MSI 1070 & 1060 Aeros.. they all either have radial or horizontal fins. Nothing exactly vertical.

However, I don't have any test data, so I might be wrong here :)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I think I mis-spoke regarding the gpu airflow. Moving the ventilation pattern inward so there is a larger solid margin to the outer edges on the left and right side, will reduce the total flow area for the gpu. That is what I meant to say. Sorry about that.

The vertical divider panel between the gpu and cpu acts as a wall all the way up to the cover top vents, so I only have so much distance on the top cover between the divider and the edge of the case for ventilation holes.

The other constraint is that the large slots are a consistent width and spacing on all 3 sides of the case. I came up with a size and spacing that seemed to work well. But that does making changing the top slot pattern a bit tougher to do. I'll look at it though, since you are right, having more similar solid margin would be more appealing.

Reactions: yawacool and ignsvn

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Quick status update --

Waiting on a quote to get a prototype cover made with slotted vents or hole vents.

This is a pricey item, since it requires set up time on a punch press. Expecting it to be a $200 item, ouch. But we will see.

I've switched from black stainless cover screws to black steel screws, so they are magnetic and easier to hold with a screwdriver. But I have found most screws that are black have just a black oxide finish, which is extremely thin and is only short term corrosion protection. In other words, in a year or so the screws will look grey and maybe show a bit of rust even. So I've sourced some black zinc plated screws for the cover attachment. Waiting on those to arrive in the next week.

In a similar vein, I'm waiting on some improved hardware for the front plate.