Optimum Tech The ITX Air-Cooling Dream? Jonsplus i100 Pro Review

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I like the design save for one thing: Its power supply dumps into the case....I think.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I like the design save for one thing: Its power supply dumps into the case....I think.
A small yes and a big no, I suppose.

Exhaust side of the PSU points up.

For SFX PSU, the support bracket is moved to the top position, much closer to the top vented panel.

And top panel supports 3x120mm fans. One of which could extract hot exhaust easily.

Edit:- Come to think of it, SF750 Platinum at 100% loading has 89% efficiency.
So, a back-of-the-envelope calculation says the heat exhaust is about 750W x 11% = 83W, which is not really really a big amount of heat. Of course, this is still not desirable, if it gets sucked up by another component. But it should be exhausted out of the case via a top fan.

Last edited:

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
A small yes and a big no, I suppose.

Exhaust side of the PSU points up.

For SFX PSU, the support bracket is moved to the top position, much closer to the top vented panel.

And top panel supports 3x120mm fans. One of which could extract hot exhaust easily.

Edit:- Come to think of it, SF750 Platinum at 100% loading has 89% efficiency.
So, a back-of-the-envelope calculation says the heat exhaust is about 750W x 11% = 83W, which is not really really a big amount of heat. Of course, this is still not desirable, if it gets sucked up by another component. But it should be exhausted out of the case via a top fan.

Thats a lot of heat dumping onto your radiator. Why else get this if you don’t use the 360mm rad? From a SFF point of view I mean...

Then again, the Ghost S1 showed very little real world loss of performance from doing the same thing.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
An RTX 3090 is 350W, and unless you're OCing, most CPU are around 100W during realistic use. so, around 500W for some top of the line build. 91% efficiency means you get 45W of waste heat. On a 360, it won't really affect it much. That is maybe a difference of 3-5C at most?

A 200W 5950X sits at 51-56C, pretty much worst case scenario top of the line build. So if you had a 150W CPU, 350W GPU, and whatever remaining, it probably won't even break 60C. CPUs don't really care about the actual temp, as long as it has enough thermal headroom.

Is it optimal? No, but if you're fitting a 360 you'll be fine.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
An RTX 3090 is 350W, and unless you're OCing, most CPU are around 100W during realistic use. so, around 500W for some top of the line build. 91% efficiency means you get 45W of waste heat. On a 360, it won't really affect it much. That is maybe a difference of 3-5C at most?

A 200W 5950X sits at 51-56C, pretty much worst case scenario top of the line build. So if you had a 150W CPU, 350W GPU, and whatever remaining, it probably won't even break 60C. CPUs don't really care about the actual temp, as long as it has enough thermal headroom.

Is it optimal? No, but if you're fitting a 360 you'll be fine.

The GPU has to radiate the heat into the air, which then mixes with ambient intake. It's substantially cooled by the time it reaches the radiator if there are intake fans. However, the PSU is directly under the radiator. There is far less time and distance to introduce ambient air into the flow. This can create a literal hot spot directly in the radiator that can cause more heat buildup then the 45 watt would imply.

As you stated, it's not that big a deal with a 360mm rad and they probably will be fine. Run a 5950X, and a RTX 3080/3090 though while doing a heavy workload that hits the CPU/GPU at the same time, and their could be an issue. I'm not a big fan of the direct dumping of waste heat so close to the radiator itself.

Mac2636

Trash Compacter
Jan 21, 2020
Really need a case where the new 3080+ gpus can be mounted at the top so their heat doesn't leak into the case.

Mr Whippy

Trash Compacter
Jul 29, 2020
With a case like this you're probably best, if you want every last drop of efficiency in the air in/out, using a combined custom loop, and a rad at top and bottom.

Also in my recent experience, having the vertical airflow with the classic GPU bottom layout can be bad for chipset/VRM cooling as the airflow can be a bit stagnant above the GPU in that area.
The sandwich approach flips the mobo so the air in at the bottom flows right up into the chipset/VRM area, and then you can have your GPU vertical and being shown off too.

But all considered, does the GPU ever run that hot at the same time as a GPU?
Usually my GPU is being heated a bit by my CPU, or vice versa, but rarely do they both get fully loaded... if you have special case use where they do, then obviously you've got challenges on your hands.

In my DA2 I had GPU on intake at bottom (deshrouded), and CPU above with exhausts at top. GPU would idle at ambient and load was about 60degC.
I've since flipped it due to VRM temps (b550i and that little fan coming on!), and now GPU idles at 10degC over ambient, about 65degC load, but it's quieter now because the CPU is getting cooler air (and runs a smaller fan, 120 vs 140s on GPU).

You can bias which is more important to your workload.