Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

McIntyre

Efficiency Noob
Apr 20, 2019
@yeahe - ML
I would like to put a Radeon RX 5700 in my First, if it's possible. Have you already had the chance to test the compatibility and to check which fixture is needed?

dudeperm87

Caliper Novice
Mar 10, 2019
I think you should offer a new Ryzen/RDNA config in your shop soon:
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6x 3.60GHz, boxed
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-I (maybe something cheaper, not much choice with x470, x570 is too expansive)
  • RAM: Any RAM with at least 3200, preferably 3600 with good latency
  • Graphic Card: ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT, RX5700XT-8G
  • SSD: Kingston A400 480Gb
  • Power Supply: Seasonic Focus SGX-650 80PLUS Gold
  • Connectors: 4x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI, 1x RJ45
  • Case & Cooling: The First - MLB-TF-1-BP-B Colour : Black or White
  • Assembly: Assembled and tested by Monsterlabo
  • OS Configuration: Win10 64 pre-installation
  • Special Offer: PC Assembly & OS Pre-Installation + NVMe heatsink & VRM coolingOffered

Reactions: Eduard

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
I think you should offer a new Ryzen/RDNA config in your shop soon:
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6x 3.60GHz, boxed
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X470-I (maybe something cheaper, not much choice with x470, x570 is too expansive)
  • RAM: Any RAM with at least 3200, preferably 3600 with good latency
  • Graphic Card: ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT, RX5700XT-8G
  • SSD: Kingston A400 480Gb
  • Power Supply: Seasonic Focus SGX-650 80PLUS Gold
  • Connectors: 4x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI, 1x RJ45
  • Case & Cooling: The First - MLB-TF-1-BP-B Colour : Black or White
  • Assembly: Assembled and tested by Monsterlabo
  • OS Configuration: Win10 64 pre-installation
  • Special Offer: PC Assembly & OS Pre-Installation + NVMe heatsink & VRM coolingOffered
So right !!!!

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Hi, +1
Good proposition and good configuration. Especially with R5 3600 with TDP at 65W.
From the other hand, preferably go with 5700, because XT version is 225W and VRM's are really hot.
Also worth concideting B450 motherboards. As one from MSI for exemple.

PS: do you have any news with tophat ? =) Ryzens are available and I'm ready to buy =)

McIntyre

Efficiency Noob
Apr 20, 2019
yeahe - ML said:
No yet !! Next round of compatibility work end of the week. We will send a news.]

Never mind, I managed to test a RX 5700 by myself. It worked without riser with the fixture 017.
Unfortunately the GPU Chip is very small and the power density very high. The GPU hotspot temperature reached 105°C very quick, where the card begins to decrease its clocks. Also power limit -20% did not really effect the behavior. Tested with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.
I will wait for the smaller Navi cards, hopefully they are easier to cool.

• Wow
Reactions: Eduard and Markus

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Never mind, I managed to test a RX 5700 by myself. It worked without riser with the fixture 017.
Unfortunately the GPU Chip is very small and the power density very high. The GPU hotspot temperature reached 105°C very quick, where the card begins to decrease its clocks. Also power limit -20% did not really effect the behavior. Tested with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to send us some temperature log for us to understand like a run on HWinfo64 ?
I have just checked the TDP (185W for the 5700 and 225W for the XT version) and I think you are over the maximum power rate.

Technical point:
The desgin is limited by the heat pipe shape and length to carry up to 180W. Maybe the power dissipation is even over the TDP.
After 180W (in our case 30W per heat pipe) there is a dryout phenomenon because the liquid phase of water inside can go back as quick as it should be.
So performances is really bad.

So maybe it would be really interesting to see what happen to power dissipation with downclocking.
Also when you are doing your test, after a dryout, you need to wait that the system is totally cold so it can start again .... Time to drink a coffee

Last edited:

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello everybody,

We are selling some of our samples that what used for marketing and testing. This PC will be reconditonned as new with 3D printed back panel + full cables and fully tested. Components comes with standard warranty from the electronics brand.

Special discount for this assemblies, Don't hesitate to send us a message if you are interested !!

Configuration 1:
CPU i5-8500 - MB Gigabyte Z370N wifi - 16Go DDR - SSD 840Evo 240Go - RTX 2070 - SGX650W - Noctua 140mm

Configuration 2:
CPU Ryzen 7 2700 - MB ROG B450i-Gaming - 16Go DDR - SSD Kingston SA 400 120Go - RTX 2070 - SGX650W - Noctua 140mm

Configuration 3:
CPU i5 9600K - MB Asrock Z390m - 32 Go DDR - M.2 970 Evo 1To - RTX 2070 - SGX650W - Noctua 140mm

Configuration 4:
CPU Ryzen 1700 - MB Asrock X370 Gaming - 32Go DDR - SSD 860Evo 1To - GTX 1660ti - SGX650W - Noctua 140mm

Also we still have pre prod case and second hand case (mainly coming back from media).
Special price for people coming from the forum :)

Our standard case are out of stock for some days, we have sent several for B2B business.

We are preparing a new batch !!
White case will be available imid of August. If you want to reserve your case ,you can order it on the shop to fill the queue.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hi, will it be possible to have your DATA ?

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Isn't amd RX5700 have around the same TDP as nvidia GTX 1080? Even under stress test my 1080 rarely go up more then 60C?

McIntyre

Efficiency Noob
Apr 20, 2019
Yes, sure I can provide the data. What game or stress test should I run? I have 3DMark, Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed Origins installed.
I re-installed the card with a riser, the temperatures seem much better now. But I need to check that in detail, because I just finished the assembly. Also, I had lots of trouble running the card with AGESA 1.0.0.1 on my B450 board, it was not stable. Lots of blue-screens and WHEA errors. Today a Beta-BIOS for my board was released, I can do proper testing now.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
The best for me would be to have a run CPU + GPU on aida64 (free 30days) and at the same time, all the data log with HWinfo64.
I can even see if the GPU is well mounted just by seeing the curves ;)

Papa Rob

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 18, 2019
Have you had any chance to fiddle with any x570 boards yet? Thinking of taking a leap with the Aorus one, remove the upper part of the chipset heatsink and rest the cpu heatpipes on the remaining chunk of metal, thermal pads inbetween.

The prospect of a passively cooled 12-core 64gb ecc workstation is exhilarating!

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Top Fan option update

Let say first that I'm not happy with this design !!
Why : too much parts, will be too expensive. Also adjustment isn't easy ...
Also impossible to mount back screws & the slicone Fan mount (could be corrected off course).

So we won't use this prototype ...
I know that some of you won't be happy to due to the delay but let's go forward now !!

Next step & Idea to discuss.

I'm thinking doing a much simpler idea. This consist to modify and extend the top plate structure by 30mm to inclure directly the Fan mounting holes.
The Fan would be included inside the main structure, no more parts ... and could be send directly with new orders.
As a finition, a covering in one part has to be designed
This could be done easily by 3D printing or by plastic molding. This could be done very nicely in one stamped metallic part (mesh directly) but this would required hard tooling and depends on quantity. Due to that aspect I think that we will go first with 3D printing.

To

Comment:
- A complete skin could be done to cover the plate but this consist in a new version of the aesthetic.

Any comment ? Who is interested ?

McIntyre

Efficiency Noob
Apr 20, 2019
I have some questions just to be sure to understand the value.
- Do you have ambient temp. estimation ?
- What happend before ? I see the CPU starting at 66C
- Is there a fan ? Grill on the top ? Full aesthetic ?
Many thanks
Sure:
- Ambient temperature: 23°C
- I ran the test before with the options "Stress CPU", "Stress FPU", "Stress Cache", "Stress system memory" and "Stress GPU" enabled. But after 5 minutes the CPU hit over 100°C after a few minutes. This is the log of the second run, where only "Stress CPU" and "Stress GPU" were enabled.
- Fan at ~450rpm, no top mesh, bottom skin with holes (see https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...case-fanless-cpu-gpu.9324/page-11#post-146640)

Edit: The total power consumption was ~250W measured at the power outlet.

Last edited: