Power Supply TFX PSU recommendations

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I was looking at the TFX-350 by Seasonic, but I can't find it sold anywhere for under $120. Anyone know of other solid TFX PSU options? This will be for a mini ITX lower power gaming build.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Could you share any build logs of your project, @GentlemanShark?

The project has gone through several changes. I'm not making a build that is a mix of the NFC Systems S4 Mini and the Dan Case A4 SFX. It's like the A4 in the sense of a partitioned chamber with the GPU on one side, but the mobo on the other, however there is no PSU as it uses an HD Plex like the S4 Mini.

Reactions: HeroXLazer

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
So no TFX anymore? I personally feel TFX deserve some more love here around. Sure SFX PSUs are good and suit us well, but a good TFX PSU is several times cheaper than a good SFX PSU and generally have smaller volumes as well.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The problem with TFX is the only ones currently available are either junk units with overoptimistic wattage ratings or lower-end units.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
So no TFX anymore? I personally feel TFX deserve some more love here around. Sure SFX PSUs are good and suit us well, but a good TFX PSU is several times cheaper than a good SFX PSU and generally have smaller volumes as well.

I believe Flex ATX is the future as they have 500 watt units (or are at least coming out with one IIRC) and is smaller.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
TFX is the Thin ITX of the power supply world unfortunately. Also the 500W flex is already available for 130 USD on Amazon.

DustinBooyah

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2017
I bought the TFX-350 a couple years back to add a little more power to my htpc. I never had an issue with the old one (made by HEC) , I just wanted 350 watts instead of 250. I ended up discovering that my case came with a 270w supply instead of 250, but I kept the SeaSonic anyway because I think its cool.

The wires are more cumbersome than I expected but it's a nice unit whose fan stays off most of the time. I paid 80 for it at the time but I wouldn't pay 130 unless I absolutely had to.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I have a TFX in my file server from Seasonic. I forget the wattage but I've had 6 (3.5" WD SE) HDD's and 4870 going full tilt hash cracking for weeks on end in the past w/ an i5-3470 and it ran flawlessly (and continues to w/out the GPU and under much lower load). Not sure if its much of an endorsement though.

Reactions: Phuncz