Cooling Taking the NH-L12S/Big Shuriken 3/etc. off before transporting my system due to weight

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
If I went with a NH-L12S/Big Shuriken 3/etc. sized cooler for my portable SFF setup would I need to remove them before transporting the system? Are the coolers too heavy to remain secure on the motherboard and not cause damage? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm asking because I can't find anything on their respective FAQ's apart from the NH L9x65.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Depends what kind of transport, over what kind of terrain.

I go to work by bus or train, I bring my SFF system with NH-L12 in my backpack sometimes. All good.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Both these heatsinks are relatively light (400-500g) and have their centres of gravity close to the motherboard. As such they shouldn't exert a lot of torque on the motherboard under normal transportation - certainly a lot less than a Hyper 212 Evo or similar normal size tower cooler, let alone a U14, D15, H7 or similar. I wouldn't worry unless you're going to abuse it a lot.

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
The most I have done was stuffing some packing peanuts in several static bags and using that to lightly cushion the tower HSF. But most of the time, all I do is remove any attached fans (though most of my current setups do not have directly attached fans).

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Thanks for the reponses, it's for an SFF build I will be doing later this year. The idea is to have a setup that I can take to hotdesks/studios and spend the day working there. Might be on a daily basis. I am looking for something that is low maintenance and I don't need to constantly open the case to secure it.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Do consider NH-L65x9. It has even lower center of gravity.

Or if you don't use extra hot CPU, just get Noctua NH-L9 or Cryorig C7.

I've heard mixed messages about the NH-L9x65, but I am still thinking about it. One option I've been thinking about is going with the forthcoming Cryorig CR-C7G and sticking a Noctua NF-A9 (25mm) fan on it. With J-Hack's adapter that would make it in theory, 59mm high. It would keep the centre of gravity low, but allow me to access the components more easier to access.

But then again, I reckon NH-L12S would probably be far cheaper and better then the CR-C7G even with the 25mm fan upgrade.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I don't think NH-L9x65 will have difficulty cooling those.

Anyway sometimes in SFF you have to compromise; use a slower processor so you can use a smaller cooler. Or achieve slower fan speed & less noise.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Anyway sometimes in SFF you have to compromise; use a slower processor so you can use a smaller cooler. Or achieve slower fan speed & less noise.

And that's the joy of SFF. It's a puzzle that keeps changing, but is very rewarding once you solve it.

Reactions: K888D