Streacom DA2 Sleeper: Triple 240mm Radiator Custom Loop

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Already cross-posted on r/sffpc and in Discord, but figured I'd share here, as well.

Thanks to everyone for your help in addressing a number of uncertainties with my first SFF build and first water cooling project. ? Y'all are infinitely patient and helpful.

Have a look:

Relieved this is all buttoned up, and already looking ahead at my next tiny build—maybe something simpler… 100% passive? ?

Edit: Added a third radiator, because… “why not?”

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
An awesome example of using the DA2 case like it should be ! Well done on the build, the prep work resulted in an awesome result.

Reactions: August

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Really like this project! Nice and tidy. One question, how is the swiftech block an pump combo noise wise? I know its a good performer but ive no idea if its noisy or not.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Really like this project! Nice and tidy. One question, how is the swiftech block an pump combo noise wise? I know its a good performer but ive no idea if its noisy or not.

I may be a little picky, but I find it pretty noticeable above 1300–1600 RPM. At the moment, it's set to a relatively tight hysteresis (1s?) based on CPU package temps, so it spins up and down really rapidly. If it were a more consistent drone, I could probably ignore it.

At max RPM (~3000), I think you'd need a much larger enclosure to absorb the noise. During the leak test, I got a little worried about the noise level, but it was complicated by there being a lot of bubbles in the loop due to it all being laid flat.

Ultimately, not a big deal, and at idle the whole thing is basically silent. If I can run the pump off of the Aquacomputer Quadro, there should be greater flexibility in how the speeds are managed.

Reactions: paulesko

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I've just come across this build. Probably the best build in this case I've seen so far and one of the few that take advantage of the flexibility this case offers. Nice one!

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Ha, glad someone is on top of things! ?

I'll get around to properly photographing it in the coming weeks, but for now, I'm glad it's finally buttoned up and usable.

I've just come across this build. Probably the best build in this case I've seen so far and one of the few that take advantage of the flexibility this case offers. Nice one!

Thanks! ☺️ It struck me as such a brilliant approach to case design, I couldn't help but squeeze every last ounce of potential out of it.

I hope someone figures out how to pack an additional 92mm rad on the back. I'm out the game, now! ?

Reactions: rfarmer
D

Deleted member 14114

Hi, great build and it inspires me a lot!

Your side radiator is active, the other one is passive? If the second one is passive, it could be a little bit bigger than the XSPC with 20mm? But then it will mostly come out of the case if using original brackets? Am I right?

Further, you're using 2 quick connections? To fill and get air out, you just open the quick connection, maybe fit some tubes on it and let them suck the water from e.g. a bottle... After a few hours and turning the case, air should be almost gone and you just close the circle with the quick connection?

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Hi, great build and it inspires me a lot!

Your side radiator is active, the other one is passive? If the second one is passive, it could be a little bit bigger than the XSPC with 20mm? But then it will mostly come out of the case if using original brackets? Am I right?

Further, you're using 2 quick connections? To fill and get air out, you just open the quick connection, maybe fit some tubes on it and let them suck the water from e.g. a bottle... After a few hours and turning the case, air should be almost gone and you just close the circle with the quick connection?

Thanks!

Yep, only one radiator with fans.There’s about 10–15mm extra space above the top radiator and below the bottom one, so yeah, most 25–30mm rads would still be comfortable in the space.

Here’s some photos of filling the final loop, with two disconnects:

I also wrote a bit about the process of filling loops without reservoirs, here. I wanted a pair of disconnects so I could completely remove the side radiator for maintenance. A third disconnect is split up and fixed to a pair of fill/drain leads, which I can pop on and top off the loop. ✌️

Reactions: brt02
D

Deleted member 14114

Thank you very much for the fast response. Having 2 identical Alphacool radiators here now, just waiting for my other orders... The ultrathin XSPC is not available right now... So I'll try what's possible.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Thank you very much for the fast response. Having 2 identical Alphacool radiators here now, just waiting for my other orders... The ultrathin XSPC is not available right now... So I'll try what's possible.

Should be fine! I also put them on spacers, so they are set even closer to the outside of the case than they would be if directly mounted to the rails.

Good luck with the build! If you need any more info/photos, I'll be around! ?

P.S. I have a full part list here.

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
Stumbled across this... impressed! I'm looking for multi-240mm enclosures since I sold my Manta (and subsequently want another one, however they're not longer sold...). Inspired, however I have HWLabs GTS240's so I don't think this'll work...

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Stumbled across this... impressed! I'm looking for multi-240mm enclosures since I sold my Manta (and subsequently want another one, however they're not longer sold...). Inspired, however I have HWLabs GTS240's so I don't think this'll work...

The GTS240 is well-suited for the side position, but options for the bottom + top rads are really, really limited. An additional 10mm would give virtually zero clearance in this configuration, but you might be able to rig up some other method of mounting them!

Also worth noting—I don't think this (with 3 x 240mm rads) has the same cooling potential as a regular dual-240mm loop, granted most of the dissipation is happening on a single radiator. Lots of folx have good luck doing two actively-cooled radiators in the NCase M1, Sliger SM570, Cerberus, and others. This was mostly done as a challenge, not for practicality or performance!