Log DAN A4-SFX Full Custom Loop

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Posted in several other places on the forums asking for advice/feedback on a potential build, and after many iterations in CAD I'm confident enough in the design that I've decided to go ahead with it, even if there's the possibility of a couple things not working out perfectly!

Ever since I bought the v3 A4 in 2018 I've been intrigued by the idea of doing a full custom loop (ie CPU+GPU), but at the time I didn't see how it could be done, since the case was designed for CPU AIO but had no such considerations the GPU. So I built a bog standard air cooled rig and was happy with it until this year, when something possessed me to check back in on the SFF community to see what was new.

Lo and behold I came across several loops that others had built in the inaugural Dan case, one with a 120mm and 92mm rads, another with two dual-40mm rads, and another one that dropped in a 240mm rad in place of the GPU. All unique and creative solutions, but there were a number of things that bugged me - hacking up the case, tube routing that caused panel bulging or ran outside the case, and just a general DIY look that aren't quite as appealing as the HoF builds - although most if not all of those can attribute their good looks to having their rads (and even pumps) outside of the case which...is not something I would want to do, I want all my PC components...inside my PC (with one unfortunate exception, later on).

With those examples in mind I set a number of goals for myself as I revisit doing my own custom loop:
  1. Full loop including the CPU and GPU that is housed completely within the case.
  2. Get the minimum amount of radiator surface area recommended for two components - 240mm.
  3. Look like an OEM assembly - every part should look as if it was designed to go where it is.
  4. Better temperature performance/noise than my current build (otherwise what's the point?)
First off, the no brainers - I learned about the ModUltra LOBO very early on, and a two-for-one block and pump is an obvious choice. And with the dual-radiator layout I am going for, the GPU + block had to be ~170mm in length, which didn't leave many options, so I'll be going for an MSI 4070 and the matching Alphacool Eisblock (non-TI, to keep thermals in check). Also going with the 7800x3d, as I feel like it should probably be able to handle it ok?

In virtual prototyping, the biggest challenge became where to put 240mm of radiators. The A4 is designed to hold a single slim-ish 120mm AIO at most. This is where I spent the most time, coming up with various radiator and fan combinations that would give me the most surface area and airflow. I eventually settled on this:

That's two Alphacool HPE ST20's paired with Noctua A12's set to exhaust, attached to the OEM AIO brackets on each side. Then at the top and the bottom, are two A9's set as intakes to feed the A12's. This is the part of the design I'm least sure about, as there's only about ~1.3cm between the two A12's, and I'm not sure how badly they'll interfere with each other. If this (6th image) was able to achieve reasonable temps, I am hoping mine will too.

This arrangement required the PSU to be relocated, and the only space available for it is under the GPU (blue thing bottom-left, GPU above and radiator on right):

I really, really wanted to use one of HDPLEX's new GaN power supplies, however neither the existing models would fit so I have to rely on the 500w Ac/Dc and get an external brick (this is the big compromise I mentioned earlier). The Ac/Dc model though fits perfectly under the GPU, helping to achieve that OEM look - all the pinouts align with the space under the motherboard, so the power cables can be routed underneath the same way the PCIe riser cable is. I'll have to shorten all the cables though, as they are ridiculously long for where they need to go.

Another issue with putting the PSU in that space is there is little to no airflow, and while it is supposed to be a passively cooled PSU I'm sure it would appreciate getting some air. To address that, I plan on removing the panels on the short sides of the heatsink and putting A4's on either side to create a wind tunnel that will pull air from the front with the A9's and A12's and exhaust out through the hole originally designed for the power cable.

The last bit of the puzzle was...where the heck do I route the plumbing? The sandwich-style case doesn't have many openings for tubes to run from one side to the other, so it took a lot of minute adjustments and research on fittings before I eventually settled on this:

...I don't know if those images makes any sense, but it's CPU > GPU > RAD > RAD > CPU using 12mmOD hard tubing. The only way to get it to work on the GPU side is to use the micro push-in fittings, as the standard compression fittings are too large. In terms of filling, there's the G1/8 port on the ModUltra and I plan on putting one of those EKWB cylindrical T fittings on the CPU side, so I can place the case on its side, GPU-side down, and open both of those up to fill and exhaust air.

...and that's it, currently. About a month of planning and iterating in the digital space, and now time to make it real! I got all the main components and am going to do a dry run outside the case tomorrow to make sure i didn't get any dud parts, and if all goes well the remaining water cooling components will follow and hopefully get it all crammed in there without much ado.

Many photos of the <1mm clearances I anticipate (and have experienced so far) to follow.

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Surprised to see this done in Blender. Mind sharing the project file at some point?
I use Houdini/Maya for work, so it was more comfortable for me to use Blender than an AutoCAD program.

Quick update, I did a dry run to make sure all the components are working, and thankfully everything was a-ok. I thought it would only take me a couple hours but ended up taking most of the day, starting with having to go to the local Best Buy to get a cheapo CPU cooler 'cause my L9i was not compatible with the new AM5 board (needs an adapter which would take too long to arrive). Then later discovering that for some reason this new system is not Windows 11 compliant so having to wait several hours to download and install Windows 10 after already doing that for 11.

(the blue tape was to keep the GPU upright/stable, it really wanted to lean which made me uncomfortable)

For the curious, here's the parts list:
  • Asus b650e-i
  • AMD 7800x3d
  • G-Skill Flare X 6000 64gb
  • MSI 4070 Ventus 3X OC
  • HDPLEX 500w AC/DC
  • Dell Alienware 330w GaN AC Adapter

Last edited:

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Slow going on getting the parts for the loop, the GPU block was backordered so still waiting for it to ship.
Got all of the EKWB fittings though, and wanted to share the monstrosity I contrived to get from the CPU to the GPU, which is made of eleven extenders/adapters/fittings:

immolationepoch

Cable Smoosher
Feb 8, 2023
Slow going on getting the parts for the loop, the GPU block was backordered so still waiting for it to ship.
Got all of the EKWB fittings though, and wanted to share the monstrosity I contrived to get from the CPU to the GPU, which is made of eleven extenders/adapters/fittings:
Look forward to progress on the build and testing results!

mikejmcfarlane

Average Stuffer
Apr 19, 2022
That's two Alphacool HPE ST20's paired with Noctua A12's set to exhaust, attached to the OEM AIO brackets on each side. Then at the top and the bottom, are two A9's set as intakes to feed the A12's. This is the part of the design I'm least sure about, as there's only about ~1.3cm between the two A12's, and I'm not sure how badly they'll interfere with each other. If this (6th image) was able to achieve reasonable temps, I am hoping mine will too.
A bold build, looking forward to seeing it develop :-)

Rather than running the rads in parallel with four fans, did you consider angling the two rads into a triangle, and then sealing up the top where they touch, adding two side plates to close the sides of the triangle, and then a single high pressure fan at the bottom blowing air into the “airtight” triangle and hence through both rads? I think would be the same volume in the case but might be quieter and give a stronger air supply and flow through the rads.

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
A bold build, looking forward to seeing it develop :-)

Rather than running the rads in parallel with four fans, did you consider angling the two rads into a triangle, and then sealing up the top where they touch, adding two side plates to close the sides of the triangle, and then a single high pressure fan at the bottom blowing air into the “airtight” triangle and hence through both rads? I think would be the same volume in the case but might be quieter and give a stronger air supply and flow through the rads.
I had not considered that, but the case only supports 92mm fans at the top/bottom so I'm not sure the airflow would be much improved.

I am however considering flipping one of the rad fans to intake, so that I have a push/pull like configuration with a small gap between to hopefully sneak in a little extra fresh air for the second rad.

Eisblock finally shipped for the 4070, so hopefully soon I can actually assemble the thing and test it all out.

Reactions: rfarmer

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Ok all the parts are in, and I was able to do a dry fit to make sure everything I visualized in CAD is actually going to work out, and with one exception that seems to be true.

The GPU looks to be at a bit of an angle, so will have to figure out what's happening there. Other than that just glad it isn't in contact with the HDPLEX underneath it..

Everything on the CPU side is looking dandy as well...except the CPU to radiator route is looking a little tighter than I originally imagined. I might need to remove the retention clip for the PCIE riser, and it looks like the tube is going to be contacting the M2 heatsink (maybe it'll help cool it!?). Or I might see if one of EK's double-rotary fittings would be better suited.

Now onto the scary and time consuming part, which is shortening all the power cables.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
This is coming together nicely, really looking forward to seeing how it performs.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
I had not considered that, but the case only supports 92mm fans at the top/bottom so I'm not sure the airflow would be much improved.

I am however considering flipping one of the rad fans to intake, so that I have a push/pull like configuration with a small gap between to hopefully sneak in a little extra fresh air for the second rad.

Eisblock finally shipped for the 4070, so hopefully soon I can actually assemble the thing and test it all out.
Seen something about this topic - rad => fan => rad => fan sandwich - on r/watercooling recently, which I obviously bookmarked ("saved" to my Telegram), so I gonna drop it in here:

Jumping straight to the results ("Results 1"), it shows us that seperate fans = in opposite / different directions is best, and the stacked versions are always worse. Obviously this tests were performed with 3 fans per radiator, not single fans only.

A strong 92 or 80 mm fan on top might help though. Or maybe 2x 60 mm. And if you manage to get a server-sized 80 mm fan crammed inside, there is stuff both by Arctic and Supermicro thats actually not too loud on the upper end.

cu, w0lf.

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
seperate fans = in opposite / different directions is best
I have no doubt that's true, but I'm sure they had more than a centimeter of space between the two radiators. I can always try it both ways, I just feel like with the limited clearance, turbulence will be more of a problem than impedance (which is what I'm assuming is the limiting factor in the above tests).

The layout I'm currently planning on doing is somewhere between tests 3 and 6, because there's an air-gap between the two fans so it's not quite a sandwich. Fresh air will be pulled in from the top and bottom and mixed with the hot air coming from rad 1 to be fed into rad 2.

nascentparadigm

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Found a little bit of time to make some progress today. First, shortening the wires on the DDC pump, which were over a foot long and only needed to be a couple of inches (first and second images).
Also worked on creating a hole for the DC barrel plug to go, since a fan and the HDPLEX will be going in the space it would normally go - not as clean as I would have liked, the plastic melted a bit and would have liked it a little higher and to the right, but otherwise pretty successful (second and third images).